Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I'm starting to get kind of pissed off at Tesla. Seeing people with reservation and configuration dates well past mine is making me question why I bothered to put down that $1k so long ago. Apologists will make excuses for them all the time, and I don't expect traditional car-maker accuracy, but some transparency as to how they're doing this would go a long way. Before my current P90D, I had three BMWs - each was custom ordered, and I knew where it was each step of the way, down to being able to track the ship it was on.
I would bet Bay area has the longest line and SoCal is 2nd (excluding San Diego).

I didn't say anything about the summons gimmick that also crashes until things if your not careful. I was taking about auto parking.

Makes me think fsd won't be ready for a long time or that a it will involve way too much risk for quite some time.

if auto pay might still guy things then i may as well just ok it myself as the only time something like that is useful is when it's a hard spot to fit into.
Well, interesting. Did you watch the YouTube Tesla did a year or two ago, full FSD, lights, stop signs, turns, bikers, pedestrians, nobody got killed, the car performed really well. Is it 100% no. I predict level 4 in 2019.

Reactions: C141medic
Ok, I'm starting to get kind of pissed off at Tesla. Seeing people with reservation and configuration dates well past mine is making me question why I bothered to put down that $1k so long ago. Apologists will make excuses for them all the time, and I don't expect traditional car-maker accuracy, but some transparency as to how they're doing this would go a long way. Before my current P90D, I had three BMWs - each was custom ordered, and I knew where it was each step of the way, down to being able to track the ship it was on.
Tesla did just hire 3-4 executives with distribution experience to fix the bottlenecks in the delivery system. Where these are all veterans in their fields, I expect this to be rectified this quarter.

Reactions: Ron Kerensky
Well, interesting. Did you watch the YouTube Tesla did a year or two ago, full FSD, lights, stop signs, turns, bikers, pedestrians, nobody got killed, the car performed really well. Is it 100% no. I predict level 4 in 2019.
I did but it needs to work 100% of the time without driver intervention.

That's AP1 based on Mobileye
I didn't realize that, but still, someone recently reported nearly hitting or nearly another car with their model 3 auto parking just earlier this week. Maybe someone can dig it up? I did a quick search but I can't find it now.

Last edited:
onfigured, paid and everything set for August 28th delivery. ISA called a few days prior and said it had been delayed and a new date now set for September 13th or earlier if it arrives. I have been trying to get more specific information about where my M3 is and the last call I had with ISA who is very good at following up told me it was in Chicago! Apparently they can’t send by rail to Dallas so have to go to Chicago where it will be trucked to Dallas. I have called the Delivery Center at Dallas to see if they have more info as this seems to be a logistics problem but despite saying they will call me back within 24 hours this has not happened. Does anyone have any suggestions how to get the Delivery Center on the phone with a real person as with all the delaying that is going on I don’t think it is unreasonable to have more specific information as to the movement of my car that those of us in Texas are all paying up front for.
Blue RWD Aero with Enhanced AP

I agree with that. It's beta software, advertised as such. My entire career career was in software engineering. People unfamiliar may well not appreciate the difference between GA and beta. I don't know if you saw my comment from a few days ago. Last week I test drove a M3. Boston has a beltway around it...circular road, like 495 in DC and Baltimore. The inner circle 128 (I-95) we were going ccw. It was lunch so there was a lot of traffic. There was generally a car on my left. Twice I felt the car was 'drifting' into the next lane over and I had to steer back to the center of the lane I was in. I will experiment with that after my car arrives when nobody is in the next lane to me. I did autopark twice, backing into a perpendicular spot. It was flawless both times. I think though, to your point, it would behoove drivers purchasing EAP to first do some confidence building exercises with it, like when parallel parking the first few times have someone stand watch to ensure no car or hydrant or sidewalk is hit. As for sitting on the ground with one's back to the car hoping it won't hit you, that is stupid, F=MA, it wouldn't take much so snap someone's spine doing a stunt like that. I don't believe human flesh reflects radar or ultrasonics as a metal object would. Again, worthy of confidence building.

onfigured, paid and everything set for August 28th delivery. ISA called a few days prior and said it had been delayed and a new date now set for September 13th or earlier if it arrives. I have been trying to get more specific information about where my M3 is and the last call I had with ISA who is very good at following up told me it was in Chicago! Apparently they can’t send by rail to Dallas so have to go to Chicago where it will be trucked to Dallas. I have called the Delivery Center at Dallas to see if they have more info as this seems to be a logistics problem but despite saying they will call me back within 24 hours this has not happened. Does anyone have any suggestions how to get the Delivery Center on the phone with a real person as with all the delaying that is going on I don’t think it is unreasonable to have more specific information as to the movement of my car that those of us in Texas are all paying up front for.
Blue RWD Aero with Enhanced AP
Here is something I don't understand. The advisor is not at the delivery point and has only dated info on the delivery status. Prior to the car being offloaded by the delivery point personnel, the IDA cannot say there wasn't damage, fixable or replaceable damage. For myself, I will call the delivery point prior to heading off to avoid a pointless 5 hr drive. My point here is I would think it better it whoever is doing the delivery call / email to say "your car is inspected and ready for delivery".

Reactions: Dans 3D

Another point not addressed is had the cars cameras and ultrasonic detectors been calibrated. If the car, while having access to the neural network can make near real time decisions, why does it need an hour or so to 'calibrate'? It would seem to me depending on when and how it driven in that crucial hour or so to calibrate everything, would determine how well it calibrated and can judge distances etc. That's not a rhetorical, I really don't know how to address that except give the car a hour on back roads, windy roads, interstates, and secondary roads.

Edit button disappeared, finance info and trade in info requested today, 9/2/18.

Reservation: 4/1/2016 ~9AM
Configured: 6/27/2018 ~10PM

Red AWD, 18" wheels, Black Interior w/ Premium, EAP

Philadelphia, PA area - delivery at Devon, PA SC.
Yes - went through all that before being given Aug 28th delivery date but then Aug 23 told me it wouldn’t happen and gave new date of Sep 13th - and now I can’t get a clear straight answer as to how they are going to definitely keep that date. In Texas so I have paid for the car nearly 3 weeks ago and so technically I own the car already but have no idea where it is!

Yes - went through all that before being given Aug 28th delivery date but then Aug 23 told me it wouldn’t happen and gave new date of Sep 13th - and now I can’t get a clear straight answer as to how they are going to definitely keep that date. In Texas so I have paid for the car nearly 3 weeks ago and so technically I own the car already but have no idea where it is!

Understood, I haven't even received a call/VIN/delivery date yet. Just providing another data point for everyone still waiting. Given the complete radio silence most seem to have since configuration, any progress seen is a step in the right direction. The lack of information, unknown progress, and frustration I've had to this point is now gone as I step into the next realm of waiting in which I anticipate all 3 of those things to slowly build again until delivery.

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
Understood, I haven't even received a call/VIN/delivery date yet. Just providing another data point for everyone still waiting. Given the complete radio silence most seem to have since configuration, any progress seen is a step in the right direction. The lack of information, unknown progress, and frustration I've had to this point is now gone as I step into the next realm of waiting in which I anticipate all 3 of those things to slowly build again until delivery.
Yes understand - you should definitely see the process go fairly fast to getting a delivery day - hoping you want have delays after that - best of luck - keep us up to date - I’ll post any news here

Yes understand - you should definitely see the process go fairly fast to getting a delivery day - hoping you want have delays after that - best of luck - keep us up to date - I’ll post any news here

Welp that was quick! Had a question on the loan info displayed on the page, reached out to the Tesla finance team and also asked if they knew my VIN, and they did! No delivery scheduled yet but since the service center is only 15 minutes away going to drive over to see if it is there, even if its only like a 0.01% chance.

VIN = 878xx
Red AWD
18" Aero
Premium Black Interior
EAP
Reservation: 4/1/2016
Configured: 6/27/2018
VIN: 9/2/2018

Welp that was quick! Had a question on the loan info displayed on the page, reached out to the Tesla finance team and also asked if they knew my VIN, and they did! No delivery scheduled yet but since the service center is only 15 minutes away going to drive over to see if it is there, even if its only like a 0.01% chance.

VIN = 878xx
Red AWD
18" Aero
Premium Black Interior
EAP
Reservation: 4/1/2016
Configured: 6/27/2018
VIN: 9/2/2018
How did you contact the Tesla finance team on a Sunday? Be interested to know how to contact anyone apart from my ISA as I have tried to call the Delivery Center on 3 occasions - only got voicemail and no call back - in Texas we have to pay for the car before it leaves CA so I know mine won’t be at the DC yet - I would be surprised if yours has been sent yet but keep us posted.

How did you contact the Tesla finance team on a Sunday? Be interested to know how to contact anyone apart from my ISA as I have tried to call the Delivery Center on 3 occasions - only got voicemail and no call back - in Texas we have to pay for the car before it leaves CA so I know mine won’t be at the DC yet - I would be surprised if yours has been sent yet but keep us posted.

E-mailed [email protected] as it was indicated on the finance info page, not expecting a response given Sunday on a holiday weekend. First response to my loan question was within 10 minutes and I responded with my VIN question, which was responded to in 4 minutes.

Did end up driving over to the Service Center, my car wasn't there to the surprise of no one. Lot's of Model 3s there, many low VINs (presumably RWD) and some had windows marked with NJ, MD, and AL. Presumably they were shipped there waiting for a match since this location actually has a bit of parking room. There were definitely some P3Ds there, but didn't want to be too nosy so I was only really looking at the Red ones.

Tesla did just hire 3-4 executives with distribution experience to fix the bottlenecks in the delivery system. Where these are all veterans in their fields, I expect this to be rectified this quarter.
I don’t understand about the delivery order. Someone just posted that the original reservation was 6-16, they just got there car 2 days ago. Someone else posted there reservation was 12-16 and they just got their car. It makes no sense to me. Someone make sense of it all.

• Love
Reactions: TechSavvyWife
I have a theory I tried to explain in an earlier post.

There is a bottle neck at the delivery centers. Each center can only distribute so many cars at a time. This is why Tesla hired distribution pros. If you live in a city that has a longer line than someone in another city, the other person may get their car before you do even though you ordered before them. It doesn't make sense for Tesla to hold cars if they can't deliver it to you. It's not fair exactly, but it is business and Tesla need to succeed as a business.

I completely agree that they could be doing this better. They know this too which is why they hired pros.

I don’t understand about the delivery order. Someone just posted that the original reservation was 6-16, they just got there car 2 days ago. Someone else posted there reservation was 12-16 and they just got their car. It makes no sense to me. Someone make sense of it all.
I can't Tricia. What I can do is relay to you what I either know or surmise.
1) This is an internet forum, treat it as such.
2) Despite the name this is not associated with Tesla Motors. Just as any social media there are agitators. What better way to cause dissension than to imply I just ordered an AWD yesterday and I've already gotten a delivery date.
3) On here and elsewhere people have said, including Tesla people, post 6/28/18 they are going strictly by order date.
4) It could be these people ordered a RWD which are in stock due to over production.
5) There are only so many colors they can paint per line, they batch these to minimize line reconfigurations.
6) My best advice is follow that last known (to me) advice from Tesla. They give everyone a 3 month windows and, so far, they are routinely hitting month 2 deliveries. Being on the east coast that means a 4-5 week production to delivery wait, meaning likely a vin assignment in the first month of the window.
7) They appear to have experienced supply chain issues. Modern manufacturing employs what's know as Just In Time manufacturing. In other words they plan a (or multiple simultaneous) production runs of like configurations. They pre-order the sub components necessary such that the lead time is absorbed with parts arriving just as they are consumed. If vendor supplies are defective ...monkey wrench. However, when everything clicks, Fremont hums with great efficiency.
8) post production (sending the completed car to your delivery center) are also batched. If transport by car carrier, it's cheaper to send 10 cars than it is 1 car.
9) If you have your three month window, feel confident you'll hear from Tesla in the second month of that window. Some reports suggest customer notification is your car will arrive on Wednesday, pick a delivery time in the next 5 days.
10) and most importantly. pick your favorite wine or herb and relax. Speaking strictly for myself, my blood pressure rises every time I read this forum. And, yes, I realize that's on me.

I have a theory I tried to explain in an earlier post.

There is a bottle neck at the delivery centers. Each center can only distribute so many cars at a time. This is why Tesla hired distribution pros. If you live in a city that has a longer line than someone in another city, the other person may get their car before you do even though you ordered before them. It doesn't make sense for Tesla to hold cars if they can't deliver it to you. It's not fair exactly, but it is business and Tesla need to succeed as a business.

I completely agree that they could be doing this better. They know this too which is why they hired pros.
executives to handle all east coast deliveries, southern deliveries, west coast deliveries, Asian deliveries. These are the guys (there are one or two women) that'll iron out all the bugs.