Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Welp. I guess I should of known it was too good to be true. Good news, I have a VIN they’re assuring is mine.

The bad news? It’s my turn to wait 3 weeks for delivery because it just finished production. They rescheduled me to Oct 22 which kinda stinks since I got a cashier’s check today but I guess I knew this was a distinct possibility.

Here’s hoping Elon already has his own car carriers built so it comes sooner.
My DA said a car could be sent via train, a couple of weeks or a car carrier, a couple of days.

Reactions: the_danimal
Not sure what to think now.

Talked to a new DA today. Initially same old stuff. "Nothing to tell you at this point. We'll reach out to you as soon as we can match your configuration." I mentioned in passing that my loan approval ran out soon and I really needed something soon. He seemed like this was a big surprise. My financing hasn't changed since configuration and they have had my credit union info since June. He said he was going to try to expedite the process and would get back to me. Right...I've heard that before. Low and behold he calls back 10 minutes later saying that he found a car at the factory that matches my configuration and they would be putting it on a train for Georgia. I asked if he had a VIN and he hemmed and hawed and said he didn't but would have my DA reach out to me with it closer to delivery which he tentatively set for the 23rd.

Something doesn't feel right to me. If they actually had a car ready to put on a train car why withhold the VIN? Feels like I was thrown some bait to placate me for a few weeks. What do you guys think?

Dan

Reactions: neroden
Finally got a helpful person via the delivery line. I’m not sure what the issue was but I wasn’t able to input loan or trade-in information. Spoke to Julio and he was extremely responsive. Called me back in like 5 minutes and had unlocked my account. Input my loan info and was approved instantly. Trade-in still pending. Edit design is FINALLY GONE. FINALLY! This might actually be happening but I’m trying not to get too excited.

PSA for anyone that’s stuck in limbo. Be proactive and call (1-888-771-2505). Keep trying until you get Julio (or anyone who isn’t just trying to get you off the phone) on the line. They can actually move things along.

Order: 3/31/16 line waiter
Config: 6/27/18 MSM, AWD, black seat, aero wheels
Contacted by IDA: 10/1/18
Scheduled delivery: 10/5/18

Still need updated MVPA for credit union. Hopefully the delivery process will be smooth and the car will be issue free.

Congrats, nice car, you have my exact build! At which location are you taking delivery? And did they say your car is there or in transit?

Not sure what to think now.

Something doesn't feel right to me. If they actually had a car ready to put on a train car why withhold the VIN? Feels like I was thrown some bait to placate me for a few weeks. What do you guys think?

Dan

I don’t know Dan, maybe. Or it could be for real! Maybe give them a day or two then call back and try to get some confirmation. Good luck buddy, hopefully this works out.

I decided to call in this morning after seeing your comment. Supposedly I have a VIN assigned and the car is in transit! That's all the customer service rep was able to tell me. He said they can't provide VIN until it's within 72 hours of delivery.

A VIN and in transit. Sounds good! I bet when the figures come out for the quarter there will be a number of cars that were still on their way at to customers at the end of September that just couldn't make it in time. I think they probably did try to minimize that number as much as they could. Hopefully with lessons learned and applied, and the ability to hire and train more people for support in the delivery area, this quarter now will see even better numbers and with less disappointed people along the way.

You know the next "hell" to go through will be service what with all the due bill issues on the large number of Model 3s sold this month and people who need regular service appointments for other work. We had a few minor issues with our car and the soonest appointment I could get to bring it in was this coming Friday. Think I called on the 25-26th after picking up our car on the 23rd. Nothing that urgent except I had to reschedule my PPF appointment. Had set it up a month or so ago for next week in the hopes my car would be delivered by end of Sept. Got lucky on that front but I had two small paint issues -- a tiny spot that was rough and the other a small bump, one that the DA knocked off with his fingernail and could see metal -- that unfortunately will require a trip into body shop for proper paint work. If not for that would have been able to keep my PPF appointment. The paint will need to cure so needing to be patient for another few weeks. Some lucky persons at the detailing place get their cars done sooner.

What an absolute joke that crew is at Mt. Kisco.

I disagree and really have to give kudos to all the Mt Kisco employees. The pandemonium was created by Tesla corporate - It wasn't the local delivery centers' fault. They were saddled with an impossible task. They normally do less than 10 deliveries a day and were then suddenly tasked to do 200+ every day for a week with no notice. The process was ridiculous - the text fiasco, uninformed agents, appt scheduling without matching vin first etc etc. Virtually none of that was caused by the employees at the delivery centers -they just had to clean it up and deal with the irate customers.

Every employee at Mt Kisco that I dealt with, from the check-in folks to the payments/doc processing, shuttle drivers, and delivery guys were extremely pleasant, nice, and energetic. Under the circumstances, I don't think I would have been so pleasant and upbeat. While the process had some hiccups and certainly took longer than I would have liked, it all worked out in the end and I love love love the car.

Sorry to digress but VEX? Been coaching robotics teams for 15 years now. Even started a non-profit to run all the teams under. Nice to see another coach on here. :D

Since you've been doing that for a long time did you ever meet Doug Bourn from Palo Alto at any of the meets? He coached robotics teams out here. He was one of the Tesla engineers who died in the private plane crash back in 2010. Plane crash takes life of Castilleja School mentor. Nice to see so many here coaching in these events and guess I'm not surprised that they are also Tesla owners.

Last edited: