Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what you meant by this. I did drive a 2012 Model S for a few days this summer out in Napa, CA. I'm pretty sure I'd really love it! And there are a bunch in New York for $46-49k. If Tesla will let me switch over my $3500 deposit, I'd really consider doing it.
While the S is really more car than I want the one flaw I consider in the M3 is lack of a behind the steering wheel tactical display. Taking your eyes off the road and shifting from a focal length of infinity to 18" then back I think is inherently unsafe and uncomfortable. How much extra would it have cost to put in a tactical display about the size of a modern smartphone? The S was the first car I test drove and I really liked it. The main driver for me is FSD and AWD.

Finally got my red AWD on Friday. Man it's an amazing car. I've got some paint issues that I'm hoping get resolved and other small issues, but this car has so much going for it. I'm still not happy about my 3 cancelled deliveries, but I really enjoyed putting nearly 300 miles on it this weekend.

My delivery Friday didn't go well, my wife and I were rushed through the process because they were so backed up and we didn't get any kind of overview of the car. We left very frustrated. Honestly, it took me 5 minutes to figure out how to start it (had to put the key card on the console). But once we drove it for the first time we were in love. I hope Tesla figures out all their paint and delivery problems because it's an amazing car.

Just my opinion here so take it with a grain of salt.

I could be completely wrong here (probably am) but I think Tesla may have realized their folly with the quickest/easiest deliveries happen first model of the end of Q3 push, and gone back to trying to take care of the 2016 reservations first now. Seems that most (not all) of the people that are having continued issues with delivery are the people that have only had their reservations in place for a year or less. Sometimes a matter of a month.

As an April 2016 reservation holder, my situation was that I was cancelled on my delivery three separate times at the end of the quarter. Within a week after the quarter was done I went from nothing to VIN assigned to delivery appointment made to MVPA posted in the span of 72 hours. I am scheduled to take delivery tomorrow (still crossing my fingers as I am still gun shy after last month).

I think maybe Tesla is trying to go back and take care of the people that have waited the longest now. The biggest issue as I see it is that Tesla got the hopes up of the wrong people and now they have a delivery hornets nest to deal with. Like I said, I could be completely wrong here.

Dan

Someone on her said awhile back until your assigned a Vin they won't hold you to the non refundable. You'll still get the $3000 from CT, to my recollection. Perhaps I misunderstood you being a tad, concerned abt credits. Earlier on here people were going for the PAWD ($10,000) just to go to front of line to get $7500 fed credit. Get the car you want!
I can confirm this re: the ability to move the $3500 from the 3 to any other car until the 3 had an assigned VIN - I was back and forth on CPO S vs. new model 3 for a while and so was in touch with the CPO team a lot and they were very consistent that that could be done.

There is that gray zone where you might have a VIN assigned but they won't tell you what it is (that is where I am right now) -- my edit backdoor link doesn't work anymore and the central Tesla office said I have a VIN, but it doesn't show up in my Tesla account. Not sure what they would do about that. At the end of the day though, my guess is that if you made a big enough stink about it they would let you move it over regardless of the VIN -- it's not like your assigned model 3 would be sitting around long before being assigned to someone else. And we all know that having a VIN assigned didn't stop Tesla from unassigning it and giving it to another buyer at a moment's notice to serve their purposes.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I can say this for sure -- there are some amazing deals on CPO S's right now - if you look in NY (side note: a super frustrating place to buy a CPO car btw because state laws apparently prevent NY residents from buying any Tesla outside the state lines, so you are restricted to getting cars physically in NY -- and Tesla will not transport them anymore), there are new front fascia 2016 S75Ds with low mileage for 50-55K and even ones with pretty nice options (panoramic roof, ultra hifi stereo) for $60ish. I ultimately decided to wait for the model 3 mostly because of the tax credit and the AP hardware, but it was pretty close. (I also test drove both again, and I just like how the model 3 feels more nimble on the road than the bigger S).

• Informative
Reactions: tomtomtom
I can confirm this re: the ability to move the $3500 from the 3 to any other car until the 3 had an assigned VIN - I was back and forth on CPO S vs. new model 3 for a while and so was in touch with the CPO team a lot and they were very consistent that that could be done.

There is that gray zone where you might have a VIN assigned but they won't tell you what it is (that is where I am right now) -- my edit backdoor link doesn't work anymore and the central Tesla office said I have a VIN, but it doesn't show up in my Tesla account. Not sure what they would do about that. At the end of the day though, my guess is that if you made a big enough stink about it they would let you move it over regardless of the VIN -- it's not like your assigned model 3 would be sitting around long before being assigned to someone else. And we all know that having a VIN assigned didn't stop Tesla from unassigning it and giving it to another buyer at a moment's notice to serve their purposes.
I was told I could not apply yhe $3,500. I did have a $2500 deposit on a CPO S as well the $3,500 deposit on the 3. I made it all the way to delivery of the S (refused due to non disclosed body damage).

So YMMV!

I was told I could not apply yhe $3,500. I did have a $2500 deposit on a CPO S as well the $3,500 deposit on the 3. I made it all the way to delivery of the S (refused due to non disclosed body damage).

So YMMV!

That's weird - this is literally the email I got from the Used Vehicle Sales Advisor for the NY Metro Region:

Me: I just placed an order for a model 3 last night and am having a little bit of uncertainty / buyer’s remorse about whether I should get the model 3 or whether I should get one of the pre-owned Model S’s on your website.
If I decided that we would want to go for the model S, would it be possible (before I have a VIN# on the model 3) to redirect the $3500 of mine you already have to a preowned model S?

Her: Thanks for reaching out. Yes, that is correct, as long as you have NOT been assigned a VIN yet, I can transfer your $3,500 deposit to a used Model S order.

And then she confirmed that on multiple follow-up emails. Who knows I guess - Tesla being inconsistent in their customer service messages? NO. WAY. lol

• Informative
Reactions: tomtomtom
I can say this for sure -- there are some amazing deals on CPO S's right now - if you look in NY (side note: a super frustrating place to buy a CPO car btw because state laws apparently prevent NY residents from buying any Tesla outside the state lines, so you are restricted to getting cars physically in NY -- and Tesla will not transport them anymore), there are new front fascia 2016 S75Ds with low mileage for 50-55K and even ones with pretty nice options (panoramic roof, ultra hifi stereo) for $60ish. I ultimately decided to wait for the model 3 mostly because of the tax credit and the AP hardware, but it was pretty close. (I also test drove both again, and I just like how the model 3 feels more nimble on the road than the bigger S).
You're right, the M3 is more nimble. How do you feel about where the M3 tactical display is? What does a smartphone display cost? They could have put that behind the steering wheel. I went through the entire time waiting convincing myself I'd get used to it...which I will, but it's still wrong and potentially dangerous. One almost HAS to use EAP so they can divert attention for a few seconds in heavy traffic or when the speed limit changes.

The biggest issue as I see it is that Tesla got the hopes up of the wrong people and now they have a delivery hornets nest to deal with.
That would be really bad if it turns out true. 1) I suspect they have collapsed the bubble in 2016. Later part of April was after the bubble and daily/monthly reservations leveled off. I don't seen any reason they couldn't deliver to the Sept-Nov holders, especially early configurators. I did see they weren't going by reservations any longer/straight configuration date. I think they even told me that but it's very confused where I heard what at this point. I will say this though, as a 2017 reservation if come first of Dec I don't have a 3, come mid Dec I won't have an order. And that may drift into November. Lack of a tactical is beginning to annoy me.

Reactions: fallen888
You're right, the M3 is more nimble. How do you feel about where the M3 tactical display is? What does a smartphone display cost? They could have put that behind the steering wheel. I went through the entire time waiting convincing myself I'd get used to it...which I will, but it's still wrong and potentially dangerous. One almost HAS to use EAP so they can divert attention for a few seconds in heavy traffic or when the speed limit changes.
hard to say without actually having driven the car other than some short test drives. FWIW the only thing I really look at on the dashboard instrument cluster is the speedometer and the gas gauge. Everything else including stereo + AC + navigation is already over on the right anyway. To some extent the touch screen is harder to use, but I'm not sure it's that much worse than some of the ICE cars that have 100000 buttons.

hard to say without actually having driven the car other than some short test drives. FWIW the only thing I really look at on the dashboard instrument cluster is the speedometer and the gas gauge. Everything else including stereo + AC + navigation is already over on the right anyway. To some extent the touch screen is harder to use, but I'm not sure it's that much worse than some of the ICE cars that have 100000 buttons.
True! Even in our son's Mazda blind spot detection is highly visible in the left rear view mirror. I couldn't make out blind spot traffic hidden behind right side of steering wheel. It would almost be worth the two hour drive to even so much as sit in a m3 and get the steering wheel and driver seat adjusted so tactical is in peripheral vision constantly. Screw that, I want another test drive!

well I have a VIN that someone was willing to actually disclose to me! 116XXX
Supposedly has already left the factory and is sitting waiting for a train in Nevada (going to Alabama for some reason).
I guess this is real.
Outstanding! I watched the model 3 Owners Club vid on Version 9 earlier. It apparently has a more in-your-face blind-spot detector which is good! Directions are second from the left.

Time for a feel-good story and some true hope to those who are waiting (which seems to be needed reading posts over the past week). So cuddle up for a warm story…

I reserved on 4/7/16, ordered on 6/28/18 (AWD Non-Performance, Red Multi-Coat, 19” Sport Wheels, Black Premium Interior). Cincinnati location.

I waited, getting frustrated at those getting cars. I got excited at scheduling back on 9/18, a VIN/MVPA, and was devastated over a week as everything started falling apart 9/21 and repeated cancelled deliveries (lost VIN and then no VIN). I posted here around that time in fury, ready to cancel. Through a method probably for another time, just at EOQ, I got connected via Tesla to another VIN…

Which began, frankly, a nerve-wracking and emotionally draining week starting on Monday 10/1. I was scheduled for Monday, 10/8. I spent the week constantly thinking the car was going away. I would hold my breath each time I opened the account page waiting for the VIN and the new MVPA to disappear. I pestered the local delivery center. I pestered the main line. I pestered the delivery hotline. I watched as the car made it from CA to New Mexico (kind soul #1). Then from New Mexico to Elwood IL (kind soul #2). Then a car carrier to Cincinnati (kind soul #3). Each step holding breath. Even when it got to Cincinnati, I felt I was always a small step from it being given away. I gave my 12 year old son a complex due to my anxiety. Even when bumped up one day to yesterday Sunday 10/7 I wouldn’t allow myself to believe. We drove in 2 hours early (super nice folks in Cincinnati). No early delivery since 6 folks ahead of me taking new 3’s. Lot full of new 3’s (50 arriving via car carrier in last 2 days).

But. There she was. Sitting there charging. VIN 87xxx, that’s me! Gleaming in the sun fully detailed. It’s the first and only time in a whole week I let myself believe. I looked her all over. She looked perfect.

Delivery was perfect. Fast but not rushed. First time I’ve ever driven one (I own a BMW M4, and this thing sure seems dangerously close as fast). And? It was worth it.

Looking at her more closely this morning, is she 100% perfect? Nah, a tiny imperfection here, a little scratch in the edge of the glass there. Eh, normal driving will show more than that. Is she as high quality as my M4 or 540i (both BMW)? Hmmm, probably not. But it’s closer than you would think (and some areas like the sound system simply embarrass my BMWs). It is a vault inside, no creaks or rattles. 9/18 build and is very very good - no weird panel gaps or issues.

(Red by the way is glorious). So our “Jane Jetson” is home. I can decompress. And I want all of you to believe that if you are getting booked now, yes - your car is coming. It just might NOT be a trick or taken away from you. And you just might love it.

Now if my dear wife would just bring the car back (she took off earlier today with it to “meet friends and do some chores”). Hmmm.

You are making the assumption it is over driven. They are not going to "burn out".
Not what Tesla said, or maybe the folks on M3OC VID. They are carefully watching the failure rate in the performance all wheel drive for that very thing they pushed the duty cycle? up.I am not in automotive expert but I believe it's akin to running 58 amps in a 60 amp circuit vs 48 amps in a 60 amp circuit. Only time will tell what the life of those motors are. Btw, that electrical circuit analogy is not perfect.