Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
QQ: Do we know if new deliveries have v9 preloaded? Hey, one can hope!
You'll almost certainly have the new software. I think they initiate software download during delivery prep. Would certainly improve first experience.

Last November our inventory S 100D had just-released software when I picked it up. Didn't understand that until I started reading TMC site.

In September, my Tesla App prompted to update our P3D- just as I sat down for dinner after driving home from delivery. Suspect most of the download occurred in SeC, then wrapped up during drive home and while parked for a few minutes. Of course I got up from the table, walked out to the car and initiated update. Then returned to dinner.

After dinner my son-in-law, one or two grandchildren and I sat in the 3 and set up all four iPhones - my wife, our daughter, son-in-law and myself. Pair iPhone, sign into Tesla account, authorize phone to unlock the car. Son-in-law and I are the tech wranglers, our spouses expect things will, "Just work."

UPDATE:
2018.10.4 finalized loan paperwork (2.5%) - overnight cashier's check to Freemont address
because that's what was on the MVPA. (IDA said check should go to Las Vegas address
instead (Pollock Dr) but it was en route already ... oops - now delivery will be delayed -
especially with Columbus day on Monday)
2018.10.10 @ 11 a.m. IDA called me and said he had the check and asked me, "when when do you
want to pick up?" (offered me Friday 10/12 or Saturday 10/13 - Saturday works best so I schedule it.)
2018.10.10 @ 4 p.m. received text from local service center saying car is ready now, can I come
pick it up? or do I want it delivered to my house? (wife wants to look at it at service center in case
any huge issues come up, so we scheduled delivery tomorrow, Thursday 10/11 at 1:30 p.m. You can
tell who has more brains in our family, because I was all like, "Hell yeah! Bring it over NOW please!)

Wow! What a difference between the end of Q3 and beginning of Q4! We'll see how things shake out tomorrow, but if I ignore the last week in September I am an extremely satisfied customer. Hopefully this gives the rest of the stragglers on here (and the new orders going forward) some hope.

I'm especially glad how things are turning out because I have already ordered floor mats, center console wrap, replacement LED puddle lights, matte screen protector, T E S L A rear emblem, microfiber towels, grit guards, buckets, rinseless car wash, and high capacity USB thumb drive, and about 30 other things. Maybe that's what finally tipped things over for me?

Good luck everyone!
Congrats.

The fact that in the first week of October a delivery advisor was willing to give me an actual VIN nearly 3-4 weeks in advance of predicted delivery tells me that maybe Tesla has gone back to doing things sort of the same way they started doing them before the huge crush at the end of Q3. My guess is that they are/were really on the borderline of being profitable in Q3 and the decision was made high up that they would take the chance on alienating some of the early customers for the purpose of satisfying their investors -- namely by using a take no prisoners approach to putting cars into the hands of the first/easiest customer available to be sure the delivery happened in Q3.

They've also been much more transparent in their communications with me -- this is when your car came off the production line, this is where it is this moment, this is where it is headed next, and call back on Friday to get an update on exactly where it is and for a narrower timeframe for delivery. That end of Q3 must have been just total chaos inside the whole company from top to bottom. Hopefully they will be able to show some profit and take some of the pressure off from investors and short-sellers.

Meanwhile and in retrospect, I am totally happy to take delivery of a car made after Q3 to be delivered in the first half of Q4. I cannot imagine how awful it is going to be at the end of December when investor-types will be expecting yet another (growing) profit and customers will be unbelievably stressed out about taking delivery before the tax credit shrinks. The next few weeks feel like the calm before the storm.

It says October, but I was hoping it would have been sooner, as so many people have ordered after us and already got theirs. And, yes, I've called the delivery hotline last week. No movement on my account. And, as owners already, I made our reservations (2) the day they opened for reservations, back in '16. Long story, though. They used both our reservations for one car (a RWD, which we already got in December.) They called us after we got that one and said our car was ready. We said we already had it. They used the 2nd reservation we had, which we were waiting to order an AWD Perf. So, we had to reserve again, setting us back.

Ah, this makes more sense now. Sucks about the mix-up, but yeah.

The fact that in the first week of October a delivery advisor was willing to give me an actual VIN nearly 3-4 weeks in advance of predicted delivery tells me that maybe Tesla has gone back to doing things sort of the same way they started doing them before the huge crush at the end of Q3. My guess is that they are/were really on the borderline of being profitable in Q3 and the decision was made high up that they would take the chance on alienating some of the early customers for the purpose of satisfying their investors -- namely by using a take no prisoners approach to putting cars into the hands of the first/easiest customer available to be sure the delivery happened in Q3.

I think you're spot on with this. And I posed this question to my DA too:

Me:
"Thank you for confirming. We're good with 3pm. I do have a small concern about this delivery coming to fruition, because I've read many accounts of people's scheduled deliveries getting cancelled multiple times. How can we be sure we won't fall victim to the same scenario?"
DA:
"Now that it’s not the end of quarter things are getting back to normal, everything looks good to go on your account."​

So hopefully deliveries are normalizing... at least for the next two months. But come end of December, I'd expect a similar clusterfrack.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: neroden and webdbbt
One thing I do expect to be different about the end of Q4 vs. the end of Q3 is that in Q3 they were just trying to get as many cars into people's hands as possible. No apparent regard for who, where, or what. In Q4 I expect they will pay more attention to the reservation order. A 2016 reservation waiting on on a car that is indeed in production (non SR) that doesn't get the full tax credit would be a public relations nightmare I would think. I don't think this is going to be an issue but I do think they will be a bit more cognizant of who reserved when.

Dan

When I visited Alpharetta last weekend I was told there were unassigned cars available, but only RWD models. The AWD’s are in high demand so not many of those sitting around, especially in Atlanta. If you are willing to take a RWD you may be able to sign and drive on the same day.

Yep. My wife and I went to the Lenox Mall store last night to test drive a RWD car. I’m considering switching. All they had were P3Ds though as the RWD was out for an overnight test drive. We checked local inventory and it looks like I can get a RWD with 19” wheels in black or obsidian black. I’m going to drive the RWD in the next day or two and consider it. With the savings I could get a wrap and a ceramic coating applied.

Yep. My wife and I went to the Lenox Mall store last night to test drive a RWD car. I’m considering switching. All they had were P3Ds though as the RWD was out for an overnight test drive. We checked local inventory and it looks like I can get a RWD with 19” wheels in black or obsidian black. I’m going to drive the RWD in the next day or two and consider it. With the savings I could get a wrap and a ceramic coating applied.
I thought about switching to RWD several times, I got hung up on the fact that I configured when it was $4k for AWD. I wanted the car sooner and I believe that I would be happy either way, but AWD for $2k cheaper than current cost is hard to let go of. I believe either car is going to be amazing.

They've also been much more transparent in their communications with me -- this is when your car came off the production line, this is where it is this moment, this is where it is headed next, and call back on Friday to get an update on exactly where it is and for a narrower timeframe for delivery. That end of Q3 must have been just total chaos inside the whole company from top to bottom. Hopefully they will be able to show some profit and take some of the pressure off from investors and short-sellers.

Meanwhile and in retrospect, I am totally happy to take delivery of a car made after Q3 to be delivered in the first half of Q4. I cannot imagine how awful it is going to be at the end of December when investor-types will be expecting yet another (growing) profit and customers will be unbelievably stressed out about taking delivery before the tax credit shrinks. The next few weeks feel like the calm before the storm.
We'll all know first couple of days into Nov. According the many Tesla "CRUSHED IT" in Q3. We know cars shipped just not revenue booked...yet!

One thing I do expect to be different about the end of Q4 vs. the end of Q3 is that in Q3 they were just trying to get as many cars into people's hands as possible. No apparent regard for who, where, or what. In Q4 I expect they will pay more attention to the reservation order. A 2016 reservation waiting on on a car that is indeed in production (non SR) that doesn't get the full tax credit would be a public relations nightmare I would think. I don't think this is going to be an issue but I do think they will be a bit more cognizant of who reserved when.

Dan
From what I recall, after the first few days of April 2016, the reservations for M3 stabilized to a handful per day. I would be shocked if 2016 as well as 2017 reservations weren't completely fulfulled by mid-late Nov.

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden
I took delivery yesterday. Devon delivery center said v9 was not pushed to my car yet but they just saw a 3 update that morning on their lot so they are hoping v9 will start hitting the cars soon and said my car should soon have v9.

Hey there Devon buddy, when did you order? Really hoping we take delivery before Nov 1, we ordered Sept 1. Financing Secured after "the text". But it's valid only thru Nov 1

Reactions: webdbbt
I thought about switching to RWD several times, I got hung up on the fact that I configured when it was $4k for AWD. I wanted the car sooner and I believe that I would be happy either way, but AWD for $2k cheaper than current cost is hard to let go of. I believe either car is going to be amazing.

Excellent point.

I may not have to worry about it. I checked my account just now and noticed that the trade-in icon looked different. Expanded it, confirmed my phone number and received my trade-in self evaluation text moments later. Also, my edit link is gone. Woohoo!

My experience has been that during the Q3 push cars were assigned to whoever could take them fastest. If you car config was produced and sitting in Fremont, it may have been shipped to someone else. They are also switching up how they assign cars and are producing in batches. You could call customer service and inquire about your car. They may tell you it is in transit, or they may have no clue. Even if they do give you information, it could be wrong. Only when you know a VIN or delivery date can you really start getting some real answers. Calling Devon probably wouldn't help at this stage.

according the @jkirkwood001 chart
for all of 2017 there are 102 AWDs waiting. From what I was told that is likely 2% of all reservations. 1/50. If that's true, that is 5,100 cars reserved in 2017. That's less than 1 weeks production run. Since they've cut color options down, they should have already produced that many cars so far in October. So now it's just getting them to where they belong.
For 2016 remnants 111 or, also, about 1 week's production. We're 2 weeks into Oct. Everyone thru 2017 should be in the distribution pipeline.
jkirkwood001101118.png