Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD front motor sounds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, what did you tell the service center for them to accept to replace the drive unit, I have been three times, they keep telling me the noise is normal and that they compared it with demo model 3 AWD and they all do the same noise. I wish they could replace mine, but I don't want to be 4 weeks without my car.

Dude, take a test drive with him in another model 3 and you can hear a HUGE difference. if the service guy can't hear it, say that he needs to get his head checked.

Option 2 is to insist of talking to the department manager. I did it after they have had my car for 4 weeks. He gave me a first class service, and had my car ready after 2 business days.

Got his directly number. Pretty usefull futurewise.

Br.
Toke

Not to my knowledge. They just replaced the DU and the noise was gone. To the story, they forgot to put it right together and give it unit oil, so the car was squeaking a lot.

To be honest, and after a handfull visits to the service center, I must admit, the service is fine but the "engenners" here in Denmark have little knowledge and experience. Especially when it comes to model 3.

They work a lot through. We have no demand problem here. Jesus.

Br.
Toke

Thanks again for the update.
Glad the service and demand is good over there.

I’ve had mine in, and they’ve said it’s normal.
I have to admit that it’s not consistent.

It’s pronounced after a fast Supercharge, and especially pronounced during the preconditioning before supercharging.

It then slowly improves and seems to all but go away until next time.

The exception is ( and when I first noticed it ), during the winter, I was constantly preheating the car/battery.
When spring rolled around, the whining lasted for a long time.

I’ve still not been able to test drive another AWD to see if it’s the same.

Thanks again.
I’m visiting your great country next August.
Hope to see many Tesla’s then !!
Amazing cars.

Reactions: Toke_Holledig
I had mine in for the drive noise too (chirps/whistles over 60 mph). Technician reproduced it on a test drive (thought it was wind noise). After keeping it for a week they determined it was the front drive unit. They said it isn't a mechanical issue so can't fix it. I complained to service center management and they said to book an appointment and they would get it taken care of. When I booked the appointment, the service advisor said if it's the same sound as before, there is nothing they can do :( They also said noise issues are only covered for the first 1 year or 12,000 miles. I hope that's not true for drive units.

• Disagree
I had mine in for the drive noise too (chirps/whistles over 60 mph). Technician reproduced it on a test drive (thought it was wind noise). After keeping it for a week they determined it was the front drive unit. They said it isn't a mechanical issue so can't fix it. I complained to service center management and they said to book an appointment and they would get it taken care of. When I booked the appointment, the service advisor said if it's the same sound as before, there is nothing they can do :( They also said noise issues are only covered for the first 1 year or 12,000 miles. I hope that's not true for drive units.

Aww bummer! I’m guessing I’ll get the same response too.

I looooove the car otherwise, so maybe it’s time to start looking into some soundproofing. A high-pitched noise like that can’t be too hard to filter out, can it? :D

Yeah, these sounds (specifically, the "beeping" when coasting at a high enough speed - not talking about some of the other front motor sounds mentioned here) are normal on all of the AWD vehicles. Some vehicles a little louder than others. Probably has to do with gear lash and/or "sleeping" of the front motor. Just turn up the volume on the stereo and you'll be good!

The sounds made during battery warm up are quite a bit different and more "whiny" and continuous in nature than the beeping. They're like an amplified version of the motor coasting sounds (not to be confused with the beeping at speed).

Yeah, these sounds (specifically, the "beeping" when coasting at a high enough speed - not talking about some of the other front motor sounds mentioned here) are normal on all of the AWD vehicles. Some vehicles a little louder than others. Probably has to do with gear lash and/or "sleeping" of the front motor. Just turn up the volume on the stereo and you'll be good!

The sounds made during battery warm up are quite a bit different and more "whiny" and continuous in nature than the beeping. They're like an amplified version of the motor coasting sounds (not to be confused with the beeping at speed).

I think my problem is I listen to NPR and podcasts, so they won’t mask it.

• Funny
Reactions: Msjulie

Good to know it’s common — thanks! I’m still gonna look for a way to mask it — unfortunately it’s like nails on a chalkboard to me (high-pitched sounds do that for me), and I can hear it over music/people talking on the highway :(

Interestingly, I had a Model 3 RWD before upgrading to the performance. That one was super quiet! Thanks, no-front-motor :D

Anyone else notice that 2019.28.2 changed the sound profile of the front motor? It seems to engage the motor more at low speeds (more audible, but fine). Mine now makes a revving sound at 27 mph. At higher speeds (greater than 60 mph) the pulsing sound is considerably less high pitched. I'm not sure if they decided not to sleep the front motor as much at higher speeds. Anyways, it seems WAY more tolerable to me now (no more headaches and don't notice it on my drive to work as much).

• Informative
Reactions: daveymcgav
Anyone else notice that 2019.28.2 changed the sound profile of the front motor? It seems to engage the motor more at low speeds (more audible, but fine). Mine now makes a revving sound at 27 mph. At higher speeds (greater than 60 mph) the pulsing sound is considerably less high pitched. I'm not sure if they decided not to sleep the front motor as much at higher speeds. Anyways, it seems WAY more tolerable to me now (no more headaches and don't notice it on my drive to work as much).

Ooooh good to know! Haven't gotten the update yet but will report back once I do :)