Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD Non-P Owners: Would you upgrade to the Performance Model for $6K?

Would you upgrade from the Standard AWD to the Performance AWD for $6K?

• Yes

Votes: 78 64.5%
  • No

Votes: 43 35.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday, on Twitter, Elon was flooded with complaints about the $5,000 price reduction to the Performance Model 3 with the Performance Upgrade Package (20” wheels, spoiler, etc.). In response, on Twitter, Elon said Tesla would give all P3D owners the option of free supercharging or a $5,000 refund.

Originally, the price of the Performance Model 3 without the 20” wheels, spoiler, etc. (called the P3D-) was $11,000 more than the price of the standard AWD model. Assuming Tesla follows through on Elon’s tweet about the $5,000 refund, existing P3D- owners will have paid $6,000 more than AWD owners for superior acceleration (40% faster acceleration from 0-30mph and 20-25% faster acceleration from 30-80mph) and a higher top speed. That begs the question:

Would you upgrade your standard AWD model to the P3D- model for an extra $6,000?

Last edited:
He's not going to do that. The only people who may be refunded will be the people that bought the + package at full price. - owners are screwed from my understanding.
Elon’s tweets do not differentiate between P3D owners. His tweets state that existing P3D owners can choose between free lifetime supercharging and a $5,000 refund.

Have a AWD 3D. I would upgrade to P3D- (or an unlock for acceleration) for $6k.

Am loving AWD efficiency on 18+aeros. Lifetime 216 Wh/M and that's with my new-found love of acceleration. Some trips as low as 166 Wh/M.

Reactions: Roys3
No, I would not upgrade to the performance model for $6,000 or $5,000.

For my personal preferences and circumstances, the existing LR AWD already has so much more performance than all ICE vehicles that, to me, it is not worth the additional money. To me it is an environmentally friendly vehicle with performance and style exceeding any other electric or ICE on the road.

I fully understand, that for those looking for ultimate acceleration/speed performance, that the P version is a sweet package well worth the money to those individuals and I wish them well.

Reactions: DR61 and C141medic
I really think Tesla should offer this. It was not worth $11k to me but at $5-6k I would seriously consider it. It would also help them offset the 50MM+ cost they are going to incur for refunding $5k to the P3D+ and P3D- owners. That itself is such an amazing goodwill gesture ; I've never heard of someone buying a car and then getting a $5k refund. This whole thing can be a WIN all around.

I really think Tesla should offer this. It was not worth $11k to me but at $5-6k I would seriously consider it. It would also help them offset the 50MM+ cost they are going to incur for refunding $5k to the P3D+ and P3D- owners. That itself is such an amazing goodwill gesture ; I've never heard of someone buying a car and then getting a $5k refund. This whole thing can be a WIN all around.

Where do you get 50M+. Lots of car went to stores as test driver cars and show floor cars and not everyone got free supercharging. On top you have the people that don't care about 5 grand and want to keep free lifetime supercharging

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
Where do you get 50M+. Lots of car went to stores as test driver cars and show floor cars and not everyone got free supercharging. On top you have the people that don't care about 5 grand and want to keep free lifetime supercharging
Just a guess that there might be 10k P3D owners (55,840 Model 3's delivered in Q3 and a bunch in October). If less people are affected, then it will cost them less. Enabling this option for AWD to upgrade to P3D- will only increase revenue without anyone being negatively affected.

Reactions: Roys3