Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD or Not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regen is a thought, but regen does not exist to stop the car. Regen is there to put some electrical power back into the battery. Regen's side affect is a braking affect, but I'm going to use the car's brakes if I want to stop the car just like on most if not all conventional cars.
Regen exists to slow the car and recapture energy rather than burning up brakes. Most Tesla drivers don't use the brakes much since they can just let up on the go pedal to slow the car. I personally only use the brakes for the final few feet to stop at a red light, etc. I don't use the brakes to slow down when coming to a red light, etc.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
Regen is a thought, but regen does not exist to stop the car. Regen is there to put some electrical power back into the battery. Regen's side affect is a braking affect, but I'm going to use the car's brakes if I want to stop the car just like on most if not all conventional cars.

With regent set on standard, I basically only have to use the rotor brakes for the last 20 to 30 feet before stopping. There is more tire wear on the rear drive wheels, but it is a P85. Oh, and did I mention it's a lot of fun to drive.;)

If you drive a car as a tool to get you from point A to point B, and weather isn't a factor, it probably doesn't matter whether you have AWD or RWD. The more you push the car during your drives, the more noticeable the difference becomes. It's about what you expect as you get closer to the extremes.

For me, the weather really does become a deciding factor. We have a friend with a RWD S60 and we have an AWD S85D. During one particular stretch of weather here this winter, they were unable to drive the same roads that we were able to drive. We hadn't had any issues on the route and only found out from them later that they considered it to be impassible. I'll be waiting, as patiently as I can manage, for a chance to order an AWD Model 3.

I live in New Hampshire. I'm getting my '3' with AWD. I'm insisting on it. Why? Several reasons...

Because I can't get FWD although the winter advantages of FWD don't count as much when there's not engine over the drive wheels.

My last couple of cars have been pre-owned. In fact, the last NEW car I bought for myself, I bought 27 years ago. If I'm going to lay out twice as much money for a car as I have ever done before, I want what I want.

I know there won't be many times when I *need* AWD. I usually wait until the plows have done their work. But there are times when the plows haven't done their work very well and I still have to go to work. Over the number of years I plan of having this car, I want some extra peace of mind. I've had my 2002 Camry for over 10 years. Before that, I had my 92 Intrepid for nearly 10 years. Before that, I held on to my 89 Olds Trofeo for quite some time (the last car I bought new).

Well for one thing, AWD in an EV is quite a bit different than in an ICE, but if you want to know why I think most people want dual motors, its because the Model S was greatly improved by the addition of the front motor, so they see it as the most capable version of the technological platform, I don't think its much more complicated than that
I think you're correct for most of us. The AWD S is much more responsible and stable than the RWD in my view, but I haven't owned any Tesla other than a P85D. I have had several RWD loaners, which are just fine but don't feel as stable. In addition the AWD is more efficient. I must honestly say I like the driving feel of AWD, especially in inclement weather, but at all times. I do have two Model 3 on order and haven't decided whether I want to wait for AWD, I probably will wait but I don't know. If budge were a real issue I'd opt for RWD.

Regen exists to slow the car and recapture energy rather than burning up brakes. Most Tesla drivers don't use the brakes much since they can just let up on the go pedal to slow the car. I personally only use the brakes for the final few feet to stop at a red light, etc. I don't use the brakes to slow down when coming to a red light, etc.

Wasn't there a 400k mile Model S where the driver hasn't replaced the brakes yet?

AWD gives you better performance every minute you drive your car on all road surfaces.
Better traction. Better regen. Better cornering. Better acceleration. Better efficiency. All the time. Every minute you're driving.

Same argument for Audi Quattro (albeit that one does increase fuel consumption by 2-3%I heard). Yet they don't sell that much despite making your modest A4 accelerate faster than your average sports car.

We have two AWD cars now. We will get a RWD Model 3 to replace one. In my experience RWD is in general more fun and has better steering (all other factors being equal). I miss driving formerly owned RWD BMW's and a Porsche. I will not be drag racing and will rarely drive the M3 on snow.

A counterpoint on AWD in general:
Debunking The Myth of All-Wheel Drive
It's not really a counterpoint to AWD just suggesting that having proper tires is more important than AWD alone...

AWD with proper tires will always be superior.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
We have two AWD cars now. We will get a RWD Model 3 to replace one. In my experience RWD is in general more fun and has better steering (all other factors being equal). I miss driving formerly owned RWD BMW's and a Porsche. I will not be drag racing and will rarely drive the M3 on snow.
I was always worried about my Porsche 911 getting backwards on me. They are notorious for oversteer with all that weight and power in the rear and once it breaks free, it's too exciting for me. The Tesla AWD has perfect weight and power distribution and is always solid and stable... feels like it's on rails. I've also had a few different Audi Quattros and they have had great handling.
The AWD Tesla is so solid that I've worried about what would happen if it did break free. I've tried to get it to slip on ice and snow and it just sticks. I finally did have one episode where I was accelerating through a curve about 75 mph on a wet road. I felt the car break free, heard a beep alert from the stability control system and it corrected itself immediately. It all took less than a second and I was under control. It fixed itself before I even realized there was a problem. Nice to know the system works so well. In my Porsche I would have spun around completely.

I want AWD, but if it means getting the car after the tax credit gets cut in half vs full credit, that means it will cost $3750 more than whatever the price increase is. So if AWD adds $3500 to the cost of the car, in reality, it might add $7250 overall for me. Paying $3500 more would be worth it, paying $7250 more, and waiting an extra 6 months, probably not worth it.

Reactions: Big-T
I want AWD, but if it means getting the car after the tax credit gets cut in half vs full credit, that means it will cost $3750 more than whatever the price increase is. So if AWD adds $3500 to the cost of the car, in reality, it might add $7250 overall for me. Paying $3500 more would be worth it, paying $7250 more, and waiting an extra 6 months, probably not worth it.
But from tweets from Elon it looks like AWD deliveries might start even before the 200,000th US delivery so we'd all be just fine. Well, at least six months of deliveries would be fine. It's the performance version I'd worry about. It should be fine as well, but it'll be near the end of 2018 Q1.