Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD or Not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I ordered a Performance Model 3 last night, and, after reading about the EMF situation, I'm considering downgrading to a Long Range RWD. Based on what I've read, the AWD versions have an AC motor in the front, so while the EMF levels in a RWD (DC only motor) vehicle are negligible, the EMF from that front AC motor and the EMF required to convert the DC battery power to AC power might be an issue.

I've read everything I can find on the internet on this issue (at least everything Tesla related), so I don't need any "don't worry about EMFs" comments or tinfoil hat jokes. I'm aware that EMFs are probably not carcinogenic, and that there is certainly no good evidence that they are. However, there was also no evidence that radiation in low levels was dangerous at one point (see this article: Radium Girls - Wikipedia), so I'd like to minimize my EMF exposure. If there's even a 10% chance that EMFs are dangerous, I'd prefer to give up the 2 second reduction in 0-60 time rather than expose myself and my family to more than I already do on a daily basis.

Are there any engineers or anyone else knowledgeable out there who could shed some light on the issue?
Believe what you will about the health effects of EMF and AC, but going RWD on a 3 won't change anything, really. I don't know what your sources are, but Tesla uses AC power for ALL the motors in ALL its cars. In the AWD 3, the front motor is a pure induction motor, while the rear is the same Permanent Magnet Switched Reluctance AC motor that you get in the RWD version.

So, on the EMF front, you MAY see slightly reduced levels with the RWD (one less motor; farther away from the driver), it's not the binary choice that you seem to want.

I totally agreed.
At the time for the offer of AWD last year, a $4k to add an extra motor to boost the power without loosing much battery range. To me, it was a unique option for motor industry (ICE) that AWD version could offer over 50% of power on the top of what it was typically meant for - better handling in ICE version. I was nearly withdrew my reservation until it was offered with a dual motor. Adding a motor to achieve AWD which is terrific option rather than having transfer axle to the other set of wheels. This added motor option is practically not available in existing ICE vehicle but only in EV car with added power and no loss of battery. This is a breakthrough in the motor industry! I think it is worth much more than extra $5k. This option shall not be weighted on wet / snow road condition only. The benefit goes to dry road for stunning power performance. No other AWD of ICE can provide that. It is an one of the kind configuration that provide more more than traditional AWD.

If you live in an industrialized country (which you do, according to the location listed below your avatar) you are continuously exposed to so much EMF that the extra from the front motor of an AWD Tesla would not be measurable. The real issue of EMF is radio interference. That is regulated by the FCC. If the car complies with FCC regulations it is not putting out an amount of EMF that would make a difference, even if, as you seem to fear, it poses some health risks.

That said, I got the RWD because I didn't want to wait for the AWD to be available, and now that I live in paradise (oops, just realized I have to change my profile) AWD would have been a waste of money.

Another consideration is the amount of EMFs that you as the driver will be exposed to with having the second motor up close to you. Although it's' still inconclusive whether EMFs cause cancer or not I would still wear lead underwear if I were you. ;)
I was definitely joking when I wrote this last year. Probably after a few drinks. My only regrets with my Tesla purchase are not getting the cold weather package and not getting AWD. Not major regrets by any means, but if I was to do it all over again...

For me, AWD/DM was the closest I could get to a P, without paying an additional $10K+. When I weighed the benefits of going full on, 1 sec in acceleration just didn't work. Yeah, I know, "Hey groovi, what about the beefier brakes, and 20" rims and CF spoiler, yadda, yadda.?" Nice additions but, meh. I've alreay run side by side with a P and was glad I went the route I did. Couldn't be happier. So, the short answer: Speed! P owners, hey, kudos!

So, I ordered a Performance Model 3 last night, and, after reading about the EMF situation, I'm considering downgrading to a Long Range RWD. Based on what I've read, the AWD versions have an AC motor in the front, so while the EMF levels in a RWD (DC only motor) vehicle are negligible, the EMF from that front AC motor and the EMF required to convert the DC battery power to AC power might be an issue.

I've read everything I can find on the internet on this issue (at least everything Tesla related), so I don't need any "don't worry about EMFs" comments or tinfoil hat jokes. I'm aware that EMFs are probably not carcinogenic, and that there is certainly no good evidence that they are. However, there was also no evidence that radiation in low levels was dangerous at one point (see this article: Radium Girls - Wikipedia), so I'd like to minimize my EMF exposure. If there's even a 10% chance that EMFs are dangerous, I'd prefer to give up the 2 second reduction in 0-60 time rather than expose myself and my family to more than I already do on a daily basis.

Are there any engineers or anyone else knowledgeable out there who could shed some light on the issue?

I hope you are joking, right? EMF is not carcinogenic and the EMF emitted by an AC motor is insignificant to other sources anyway.

So, I allayed my original fears by using an EMF meter in a performance model 3. Turns out, the EMF in the front seats of that car is actually weaker than most ICE cars. Maybe Tesla is using shielding? I imagine the RWD is even lower, but both AWD models are definitely safe, regardless of whether or not you view EMFs as a potential hazard. Like an ICE car, the faster the car is moving or accelerating, the higher the EMF readings. At all speeds, however, the model 3 performance was lower than any ICE car I've been in.

Anyway, if anyone's concerned about EMFs, a Tesla is definitely the car to get.

So, I allayed my original fears by using an EMF meter in a performance model 3. Turns out, the EMF in the front seats of that car is actually weaker than most ICE cars. Maybe Tesla is using shielding? I imagine the RWD is even lower, but both AWD models are definitely safe, regardless of whether or not you view EMFs as a potential hazard. Like an ICE car, the faster the car is moving or accelerating, the higher the EMF readings. At all speeds, however, the model 3 performance was lower than any ICE car I've been in.

Anyway, if anyone's concerned about EMFs, a Tesla is definitely the car to get.

Probably the ignition system in an ICE produces the EMF. Sparks tend to do that. The first radio transmitters were spark-gap transmitters. They just used a spark gap to basically transmit all across the radio spectrum.

I live in Boston and bought an RWD M3. I'll use good snow tires for the few days a year there's actually snow on the road, We have a couple Subaru's and RAV4's in the family fleet. I've observed AWD did not make them better handling than the 2WD versions. I look at AWD as a profit center invented by Audi.

Factually and objectively AWD improves 2 major things in bad traction conditions-

getting moving from a start, and going up steep inclines.

AWD > snow tires for those 2 things specifically.

For everything else, including handling and braking, snow tires > AWD.

If you drive where it's mostly flat and don't care about drag racing in snow, RWD+snow tires is perfectly fine (and safer than AWD with all seasons)

(and FWIW- AMC was selling all wheel drive cars in the US before Audi was)