Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD Order Delayed if Changing Color?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed my order for an AWD on 5/20. I want to change my color selection from MCRed to Obsidian Black so I called tesla sales, was informed that changing the color would delay my reservation - "your current estimate is 2-4months, it will go to 3-5months if you make any changes at this point" - got the same answer when asked about adding FSD.

Not sure why it would cause a delay assuming they haven't started making my car yet (I still have the 'Edit design' link in my account).

Did anyone try to do this and did it affect your delivery timeline? As previously mentioned by others, I think the answer you get depends on which agent you get on the phone and so I hope it doesn't delay my delivery.

Just curious. Why are you changing from red to black?
I like black, but I decided against it as I didn't want the headache of maintaining a black car ( one of my cars and motorcycle are black). But then again, the new option "Obsidian black" got me thinking and I decided to go back to my favorite color. :D

My other car is a crimson red BMW 335i (e90) which I love, but Model3 Red is not the same red.

UPDATE
I went ahead and made the changes to my order. Before the change I didn't have any estimated dates displayed, but now it says 3-5months. :(

Oh also, I received a "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement", a 5 page PDF, in the "Confirming your Model 3 update" email. I didn't get this when I first configured dual motor and made $2500 payment back in May. Not sure if it means anything, but hoping it does :fingers-crossed: