Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD to be about 6500 cdn plus tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As of July 1st, basically nothing will be coming to Canada. The only reason we are getting cars is because Tesla wants to hit its 200,000th car on or as close to July 1st as possible. This triggers a US Federal tax credit going away 6 months after that. They are very close to that 200k car which is why we have seen so many cars in Canada.

Once they hit the 200k in the US, they will be devoting every car to the US to take advantage of the tax credit or at least the vast majority.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
As of July 1st, basically nothing will be coming to Canada. The only reason we are getting cars is because Tesla wants to hit its 200,000th car on or as close to July 1st as possible. This triggers a US Federal tax credit going away 6 months after that. They are very close to that 200k car which is why we have seen so many cars in Canada.

Once they hit the 200k in the US, they will be devoting every car to the US to take advantage of the tax credit or at least the vast majority.

By the time AWD hit Canada, rebate is gone. Total damage will be 20K for that damn small motor at front.. Not worth it...

Yeah - pretty glad I didn’t wait. I just hope the RWD is as good in the snow as folks have attested.

If it's like the S, it's no different than any other car with RWD. Being electric doesn't make it any different at least in my experience after 4 winters. With good winter tires, I still need chains to get up the driveway at my cabin. With AWD no chains are needed. I also wonder if FSD needs redundant motors especially given Elon's recent comment about having a spare if one breaks. That sounded odd to me since why mention failures unless there's a reason. I wonder if the regulators are demanding redundancy there too?

Still, I'm really looking forward to my RWD 3. Hurry and build it Tesla. It's getting out-of-date just waiting for it! ;)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: akidesir
FSD would only redundancy related to its replacement of a human driver.

That's clearly not true. Redundancy is required for FSD. It's not required for humans. If our heart fails, it's all over. Cars must have redundant computer hardware, at least according to Musk. No redundant heart inside of me or any other human.

Here's a quote directly from Elon Musk on this issue about the regulators wanting "redundant motors". It's likely still part of the ongoing negotiations but his words today regarding the failure of one motor and it keeps going certainly sounds like a FSD issue to me. From Elon Musk back in October of 2015:

What I can't figure out is an ICE can't have redundant motors, but maybe they are more confident in ICE motors than EVs? Or is he referring to steering motors, braking motors, or other motors? That doesn't seem to make sense though.

I also find it hard to believe that he's promoting: "oh good, if one of my motors fails I can keep driving so it's safer."

Last edited: