Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Awful loud scraping noise coming from tire/brake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys. Yesterday I noticed an awful high pitch scraping noise coming from the right tire/brake in the back. Especially distinct when backing up and at low speeds. I couldn't find any stones or similar trapped by the brake disk. Tried driving around for a little bit to loosen possible stones that are stuck but it didn't help.

(i) Does anybody have any idea where this could come from?
(i) Do you think I can drive to the next (Tesla) garage (around 100 km/ 60 miles) to get this fixed or shouldn't I drive any further (because of safety concers or to prevent further damage)?

Please find the video attached

Cheers

I've had this happen twice, once from a stone which was easily removed by pushing on the plate behind the rotors but the other time it would only produce this sound when it was raining and in reverse. Took it to service and they said it was a cracked brake pad that was replaced under warranty.

I’m sure it’s been mentioned but what is unique about rotor and or shield that causes this to happen ? Never in 30+ years of driving had this occur on any car or heard of it front disk / 4 wheel disc etc
(Happened in 2nd month with my 3, tiny pebble made the most god awful sound)

I’m sure it’s been mentioned but what is unique about rotor and or shield that causes this to happen ? Never in 30+ years of driving had this occur on any car or heard of it front disk / 4 wheel disc etc
Too much of acceleration tends to make more pebbles airborne, I would guess. Also there is a fancy embossing of Tesla on the shield that works great as pockets for small stones...

I have had exactly the same thing happen twice now in 3 days with my 2 week-old Model S Long Range. My drive is shingle which is fairly typical in the UK and I have 19" Sonic Carbon Slipstream wheels. The only way I could get the very embarrassing scraping/graunching noise to stop was driving forwards and backwards on the tarmac road and doing 3 point turns. I was very glad I had no passenger I was trying to impress. It was either luck or persistence that made the offending item dislodge. My previous cars have been parked on my same drive, have had 20" wheels and I have never had this issue. I have the car booked in to the Heathrow Service Centre to check if there is any damage.

Hey everyone,

I had the same issue, squeeking and high pitched screech coming from passenger side rear wheel.
I got down near the tire, while my wife, went reverse, very slowly, about 1-2 inch movement. I was trying to find out where the sound was and found it to be a rock, rolling around in what sounded like inside the tire. I had my wife drive forward a few more inches and it I heard the rock fall out. Problem solved.

From what I’ve read, there are 2 options:
1. Isolate the rock to the top of the wheel. Make tiny Reverse and forward movements until it falls. You probably need 2 people to do this.

2. Use a screw driver and move the metal near the rotor to allow space for the rock to fall through.

I hope this helps!

Good luck all.

Happened on the rear rotors/shields of my M2 and was fairly common - enough so that BMW updated the shield and dealers were replacing them for people who had the issue.