Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Awww crap, I painted my Calipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20180224_072130[1].jpg
I like your wooden block jack stand rig.

lol, yeah cheap and easy. I had some extra wood laying around and since the Tesla doesn't have a point to place jackstand you gotta get a little creative. And before someone bitches about it, I have used 4X4s to hold up vehicles a lot heavier than a Tesla.

OK guys here are some tips....... The E brake bolts have loctite blue on the threads and they are kinda tough to get off. Also remember that the car must be in tow mode to remove the E brake. If you get over spray on the rotors just get a rag and some good brake cleaner to remove the over spray. if you decide to remove the calipers get new copper washers for the brake lines. While you are there this will be a good time to install steel braided brake lines ( I didn't think about it until I inspected them), if your warranty is a concern then skip the brake lines.

• Informative
Reactions: JPUConn
These turned out so amazingly well. Would you mind sharing the brands of paint/clearcoat, and how the decals were done?
I used BBQ grill semi gloss paint on the brake rotor centers and around the edge from home depot (it is not as runny as other spray paints0. VHT engine enamel high gloss clear coat, VHT high temp red caliper paint and CRC Brakleen brake parts cleaner. A plotter was used to cut the decals

Here are a couple of other tips.......no need to remove the brake pads when cleaning and painting, just do a good job masking everything. I used the correct threaded pitch banjo bolt and alot of washer to block off the brake fluid inlet on the calipers. That held in the brake fluid, didn't allow it to leak while I painted the calipers. The banjo bolts are the same used on motor Japanese sport bikes. I had a couple laying around

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Joelc