Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back pain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, happy holidays from Belgium!
I got my Model 3 SR+ on December 7th, a company car. Taking several long drives in the past two weeks, I’m suffering from back pains and struggling with the seat’s position. My former car was a BMW 2 Gran Tourer, which never gave me any back pain, probably due to the much higher sitting position. That car also had an extra loin support. Since I’m 1 meter 93 (6 foot 3), I was wondering what my options are. It is a company car, so having it adjusted might nog be a sure thing. Thanks everyone.

I got my Model 3 SR+ on December 7th, a company car. Taking several long drives in the past two weeks, I’m suffering from back pains and struggling with the seat’s position. My former car was a BMW 2 Gran Tourer, which never gave me any back pain, probably due to the much higher sitting position. That car also had an extra loin support. Since I’m 1 meter 93 (6 foot 3), I was wondering what my options are. It is a company car, so having it adjusted might nog be a sure thing. Thanks everyone.

Welcome to TMC!

I find that the tesla seats are fine for me, and I am the same height you are (6' 3 or 1 meter 93). With that being said, everybodies body is different, so just because we are the same height doesnt mean our legs and arms are the same length.

The model 3 seatw (at least in the US) have plenty of adjustment, including lumbar. I drove BMWs exclusively for the past 15 or so years prior to getting my model 3 (various 3 series, 4 series, 5 series and also X5s and X3s), all with whatever BMW offered for the model for upgrading seating, and while the BMW models that had the multi contour seats had more adjustments, they were not appreciably more comfortable than the model 3, to me.

My last BMW as a daily driver was my 435 M-sport, with M performance package and just about every option they offered on that vehicle (MSRP 65k US). I am more comfortable in my model 3 performance than I was in that car.

Keep trying the adjustments, I am guessing you just need to find something comfortable.

Note: I am not one who leans back far enough to rest my head on "the head rest". Some people do, but to me, that is a "head restraint" to prevent whiplash, not a head rest, for driving. I mention this because that obviously effects my driving position, and might be relevant information for you, OP.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Welcome to TMC!

I find that the tesla seats are fine for me, and I am the same height you are (6' 3 or 1 meter 93). With that being said, everybodies body is different, so just because we are the same height doesnt mean our legs and arms are the same length.

The model 3 seatw (at least in the US) have plenty of adjustment, including lumbar. I drove BMWs exclusively for the past 15 or so years prior to getting my model 3 (various 3 series, 4 series, 5 series and also X5s and X3s), all with whatever BMW offered for the model for upgrading seating, and while the BMW models that had the multi contour seats had more adjustments, they were not appreciably more comfortable than the model 3, to me.

My last BMW as a daily driver was my 435 M-sport, with M performance package and just about every option they offered on that vehicle (MSRP 65k US). I am more comfortable in my model 3 performance than I was in that car.

Keep trying the adjustments, I am guessing you just need to find something comfortable.

Note: I am not one who leans back far enough to rest my head on "the head rest". Some people do, but to me, that is a "head restraint" to prevent whiplash, not a head rest, for driving. I mention this because that obviously effects my driving position, and might be relevant information for you, OP.

Hope you get it sorted out.
Thanks for that, I’ll give it some trial and error.

I Feel your pain. Took delivery on the 18th and let me tell you, I haven't been able to get comfortable since then.
To give you a long story short, im 6',1'' tall and about 240 LBS. What happens is when i'm able to adjust my feet comfortably (seat all the way back and almost bottomed out, my arms dont properly reach the steering wheel which leads me to slouch over to grab the wheel. This in turn causes me pains in my shoulders.
If I move my seat up for my arms to reach better and be more relaxed, my legs are then fatigued a lot easier as they are more ''cramped'' and angled.
Seems like the perfect fix would have been a steering wheel that would extend a little further out. This of course, being impossible, the only way to go about this is to simply deal with it and compromise on either leg comfort or arm comfort. It really sucks as I heard only amazing things from tall people and the model 3.

I had a BMW sedan with sport seats, and the bottom cushion extension. Those were the best seats, and I miss the extension. I've had to tilt up the front edge of the seat just a little more than in my BMW to provide enough leg support. Particularly, if you are coming from a higher seating position in prior vehicle, I think you'll need more thigh support, from a lower seating position.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
I also came from a BMW sport seat equipped car.

I battled this for a bit as I also have significant back issues. Fine tuning the lumbar adjustment was super important, as well as the tilt front to rear. As described earlier that extension in the BMW was probably the best thing ever. I’m just here to say keep adjusting it. I’m a short bastard so my story may be useless.

Reactions: KenC
I am short, 5’1” and just took my new Model Y on a 1.5 hour drive for the first time.
I have zero back pain ever. After about a half hour drive, my left lower back started to cramp up and I was in horrible pain no matter what adjustments I made with the seat and lumbar support.
I just sold my Mercedes GLC 43 and had no back issues driving it long distances or with any of my previous vehicles.
I am frustrated and hoping I don’t have to sell my new baby to alleviate this issue. I love everything else about it thus far but this is a big problem.

I’m 6’4 and don’t have any issues, but then everyone’s body and posture are different.

I also came from a BMW and immediately adjusted the seat tilt to match the thigh support I had from the seat extension in the M2 and haven’t had a problem so I would definitely start with that.

The seats have an impressive range of adjustment and I feel I could find half a dozen different positions that would work for me for different trip lengths so definitely have a thorough play.

Reactions: KenC
I found the M3 seats initially uncomfortable on longer drives as well. Lots of fiddling with position didn’t seem to help until I focused on the lumbar support. It’s different than my last car and took me a bit to sort out to get it so that I’m now pretty comfortable. I will add that more thigh support would be welcome but it’s not terrible.

I found the M3 seats initially uncomfortable on longer drives as well. Lots of fiddling with position didn’t seem to help until I focused on the lumbar support. It’s different than my last car and took me a bit to sort out to get it so that I’m now pretty comfortable. I will add that more thigh support would be welcome but it’s not terrible.

Similar situation here... I had some lower back pain when I first got the car. I spent some time adjusting the lumbar, and I now consider it the most comfortable car seat I have ever had. I get in my Wife's Cadillac and it feels terrible.

Tim

What did you end up doing? I just got a Model S Plaid about a week ago and I'm already in serious pain. Specifically in my right glute, and it's starting to radiate into my lower back. I've been limping around the house all day. Practicing a bunch of new stretches to fix the issue, but annoyed that I should even need to be doing that. Experience this on any other car, including the ICE SUV I had before this. ICE is relevant because obviously there's no battery pushing the floor up, so I had even more vertical space for my legs. Thinking this could be part of the issue, then again lots of people are complaining about the same seat discomfort in the Model X.