Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back windshield Tint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did 25 and 30% tint all around ad on the roof. I wanted all the windows to be the same color, since front is already a lighter shade. I am in AZ and it get sooooo hot in the car with that glass roof. A/C was having a hard time keeping up.

I did 25 and 30% tint all around ad on the roof. I wanted all the windows to be the same color, since front is already a lighter shade. I am in AZ and it get sooooo hot in the car with that glass roof. A/C was having a hard time keeping up.
How did the tint impact visibility from the glass roof?

Im trying to decide if I should do a 25% or just go with a clear UV/IR blocking film.

Do the windshield too? Don’t pass on it, it helps. Did 3M Crystalline on several cars (7 actually) and Formula One Air Blue on MY, good stuff.

Can you see the seam where the tint meets on the ceiling glass by chance?? I'm assuming it's to wide for just 1 piece?
So the back windshield has 0% tint and is clear?? My advisor said the back is tinted as much as the rear windows ugh..

It isn’t clear, but it isn’t a film tint. It is darker, giving the tint appearance of tint, but like most mfg’s it doesn’t do much for heat rejection. As someone stated above it’s basically colored glass, intended for privacy. If you’re just looking to match it, throw 20 up front and 50/70 on the windshield.

It's definitely darker, but I went with a dark tint. You can get a light tint just for UV and heat rejection. Factory tint has 0 solar/uv benefit. It is for privacy only.
I don’t think that is accurate on the factory roof tint. They must have some level of heat/uv protection.

But it certainly is the case for the rear and hatch. That is colored privacy glass only.

I get MY in 6 days, i would assume the back windshield is tinted the same as the back windows correct? And is that 20%? Thanks!
My shop tested the rear glass, came back as 23%. I added 70% to rears and windshield and 20% to front-side windows. tint shop said adding 70'% to rear would bring the rear % down to 20. I think it matches.

IMG_7176.jpg
IMG_7153.jpg

Nope. It is not tint. It is colored glass which has no real IR/heat resistant properties compared to film tint.

While that is true regarding the side windows the rear window is a different story.

My understanding is that the windshield, roof, and rear window are all laminated. Laminated glass blocks almost all UVA and UVB rays. In the Tesla I believe the windshield is UV and IR blocking, while the rear window is IR absorbing and UV blocking. The side windows are tempered (not laminated).

While there may be additional IR (heat) blocking achieved by adding tint to laminated windows there could also be risk of them cracking due to thermal stress.

Based on this, I plan to use ceramic tint on the front side windows 50 or 35, and the rear windows 70 since they are already dark.