Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backed into at Home Depot - Interested in y'alls input

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was putting my daughter in her car seat today at Home Depot when a fellow backed into us at the slowest possible speed ever (guessing 1-2mph). He got out and gave me his info and asked to call as he doesn't want to go through insurance if possible. There is a 2.5 inch "crease" plus a little discoloration that is almost imperceptible on the drivers rear corner of the bumper, no other issues:
IMG_6120.JPG

I have a service appointment in a couple of weeks and mentioned to him that I'd get it checked out then to get Tesla's view on if it's worth doing anything about and what that would cost.

So - poll time - is it worth even calling him back about or should I thank him for getting that first "ding" in so the next one isn't as upsetting?

Attachments

• IMG_6120.JPG
    IMG_6120.JPG
    673.4 KB · Views: 1,336
If it bothers you, make him pay. He doesn't realize it's a Tesla and repairs will be astronomical.

What would I do? Depends on what other damage my car has. If I have a few chips and scratches, nothing. If my car is pristine, make him pay.

Personally I'd be tempted to let it go...

BUT, that's if I were keeping the car forever and I wouldn't really notice it.

If you are leasing and the lessor is going to charge YOU to repair it, or if you are going to resale and the buyer is going to decrease the car's value because of it, it is only fair that you not bear that cost.

---

That said, you are extremely lucky to have witnessed the incident. 90% of the time these things happen the other driver dings your car while you're in the store and then just drives away. You don't notice the ding until later that day or the following week or never.

I'd go ahead and get it to a body shop and get it fixed before too long. Why should you pay for someone else's mistake now, or in future if you sell the car. Worst case it does use insurance, that's what it's for, but if he has the cash then it's even there.

I never got a ding fixed on my 2004 Acura and it bothered me over the life of the car. If you're like me, the bumper ding would bug you for quite a while on your S. And it's expensive to fix. I got rear ended by a shuttle bus at my client site a couple of months ago (est. ~5-10 MPH). It turns out the Ford E350 got the worse end of the deal as I got a scratch and his bumper was dented up. I almost didn't mess with repairing, but went ahead with repairs given they were covering and I wanted to make sure nothing underneath was damaged. Long story short, they will likely need to replace the bumper cover. Mine came in at nearly $1,900, but I understand Tesla's prices have come down a little on parts and you won't need the $225 "applique" that I needed.

estimate.png

Long story short, they will likely need to replace the bumper cover. Mine came in at nearly $1,900, but I understand Tesla's prices have come down a little on parts and you won't need the $225 "applique" that I needed.

Wow, had no idea that a replacement of the bumper could be that much! Thanks for the info. Did you just go straight to Tesla to get them to do the repairs, or did they send you to a third party body shop?

That said, you are extremely lucky to have witnessed the incident. 90% of the time these things happen the other driver dings your car while you're in the store and then just drives away. You don't notice the ding until later that day or the following week or never.

Agreed. I've had quite a few hits in parking lots when I wasn't there (mostly door dings) and those are NO FUN. That said, as DCinDC shows it could be ~$1500 to fix, I think I'll get it checked out by Tesla to make sure as I don't want the car worth less in 2 years or so when I sell it. Thanks all for the advice!

I was also dinged, mostly bumper damage, just a nick in the quarter panel. Got a quote from a shop, 850 bucks to fix it.
I decided not to, it doesn't bother me and I'm keeping this car for the foreseeable future so I'm not worried about resale value.

2z65t34.jpg

I would make sure to at least as the SC where their "approved" repair shop was—that way you know you can include in your survey the shop Tesla would want you to go to. When we had our bumper fixed, they said they only had one "approved" shop in New England! So you can check that shop plus any local with aluminum body/PDR experience as 4us2bev suggested!

That's on the bumper cover (a plastic piece). My wife had someone rear-end her at low MPH and put a similar crease in the bumper cover along with 2 license plate frame screw marks. Bumper covers used to run about $1k or so, they're now about $360. Expect a total somewhere north of $1k or so by the time they're done.

Is that the Catalina (flat) white, or the pearl white? If the pearl, expect paint to cost significantly more because of the process (I ran into this on my sig red).

I didn't worry about the crease or screw impressions (you could barely see them), until I hit the deer. Then I paid the shop to fix it at the same time insurance fixed the front.

Analyze all options

I had a very minor dent from a post in a parking lot and got it fixed in my previous Lexus. The repair shop considered it as a "insurance fix" even though insurance wasn't involved. It showed up when I traded the car later and decreased the value (They noted it as an accident!). Make sure any fix is not considered as an insurance matter and no accidents are mentioned. Do not discuss insurance with the fixer. Even if Tesla fixes the dent, it could go against you when you trade/sell.
Most private owners/buyers don't care for very minor dents when they buy. By not fixing, it is not going to cost you a couple of thousand dollars when you eventually sell. I would live with the dent.
If it is a cosmetic dent, could you do it yourself or take it to one of the dent fixing places?

- - - Updated - - -

Could you just put a sticker and cover it and get the money (a reasonable sum) from the other guy?

Bumper covers used to run about $1k or so, they're now about $360.
This is the big change, from what used to be the $2,300 bumper ding.

I'd get rid of the darkness and consider living with it? If the clear coat isn't even cracked, maybe an off the counter, non-abrasive polish.

If OP is so inclined, Kman has a bumper removal video. The plug to any parking sensors disconnects at the right rear fender, just above the undertray. Paintless dent removal doesn't apply, since this is rubber/plastic. The fix is a heat gun until almost too hot to touch, and then reversing the bump from front to back. Damp cold towel on the side you want to pull, and hot towel on the side you want to push.