Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backing Camera Guide Lines?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you sure you have a Tesla? ;)

The backup lines are significantly smaller than the width of the car. So you can't rely on them in that sense.

And the back of the car is where you see the bumper in front of the backup lines.

You should be able to see the top of the bumper, so that's where you'll hit something. LOL

It was posted somewhere on this forum that the lines represent where the tires are. Having that knowledge has helped me judge distance and has helped my situational awareness when backing up.

They are pretty good, but where is the back of the car? Is it the part of the line closest to you? When will I hit something?

What do you think?

The backup lines are actually where your wheels will go; they are as wide as the centerline of your wheels. Your car is a bit wider than that, so just because the lines won't hit something doesn't mean your car won't... it just means your wheels won't run over it.

Since many modern cars have backing cameras with line for wheels, that is pretty clear. The question is where is the back of the car? Many modern cars have a line on the screen, to represent where it is. Turns out, because of the fish eye lens, it isn't so clear by sight to me. I was wondering if there is a better test then the audio one, you know, you hear the crash when you hit something. Lol. I guess there isn't.

Turns out, because of the fish eye lens, it isn't so clear by sight to me.

If it looks like you're going to drive into something, you're going to drive into something.

The part of the car that will hit first is clearly visible on the display. You should be able to back up to within an inch of something without problems. Go try it with your mother-in-law.

You can see the bumper in the camera. In my experience, items on the ground actually disappear off the bottom of the camera while still behind the car by maybe eight inches.

Of course, any modern Tesla also gives you distances to the closest thing the ultrasound can see in inches (or centimeters) to help you, too.

Someone did an experiment with ropes laid out on the ground according to where the backup lines appeared on the screen, then proceeded to backup and made notes as to where the car actually went with respect to those lines...

You could easily repeat such an experiment with a helper laying out the ropes... or search for it

Maybe in the 9.0 release they will add that stop line?

The problem is the sensors don't see a pole, for example, crash.

As someone already pointed out, the "stop line" is there already.

It's your bumper - can see it plain as day in the camera view.

User guide: stop before that line (your bumper) comes into contact with anything else in the view. If you're unsure, stop.

What else do you need?

A stop line?

I'm obviously not getting something here...Please keep in mind, my car has no parking transducers. But for backing into parking stall or other maneuvering situations, they're not needed anyway.

Where would said stop line be located on the screen, how would it work?

Any video overlay on my bumper or on an object in the field of view would obscure the actuality of information on screen already between camera and asphalt, and such a line would not be welcome (by me at least). What could be more direct than seeing two things converge slowly on the screen?

People *know* by seeing what's on the screen: actual objects, of any kind and composition. These don't need to be detected by anything other than your eyeball sensors... when an object meets bumper you've hit it. Too late. Having a stop line painted on your bumper or six inches out from it would do what to improve the scenario? If a person needs a pre-impact line of what you're about to hit, well, poor you I guess. If a person can stop for the stop line, they can stop in time by seeing the bumper too.

This isn't even a first world problem, it's a zero world problem. And now I'm embarrassed for talking on so much about it. Sorry.

Last edited: