Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backup Camera and Homelink Remote Access from Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I apologize in advance if this has been covered before. I was just thinking it would be nice to be able to access the backup camera remotely using the Tesla app to see if I left my garage open, and if so, to also have Homelink access to close it. It's not a feature many need or want, I'm sure, but it would have come in handy a couple of times when I drove my other car (which doesn't close the garage automatically like my Model S), just so I could check it and be sure I closed it. I know there are lots of "smart" garage door solutions available for remote operation, but it seems like my car would be the ultimate: the camera could show me if it's open or not, and a quick touch of a Homelink button in the app could open or close it. Again, sorry if this has been proposed before, and if anyone knows where to send such suggestions where Tesla might actually see them, I'd appreciate the insight.

I apologize in advance if this has been covered before. I was just thinking it would be nice to be able to access the backup camera remotely using the Tesla app to see if I left my garage open, and if so, to also have Homelink access to close it. It's not a feature many need or want, I'm sure, but it would have come in handy a couple of times when I drove my other car (which doesn't close the garage automatically like my Model S), just so I could check it and be sure I closed it. I know there are lots of "smart" garage door solutions available for remote operation, but it seems like my car would be the ultimate: the camera could show me if it's open or not, and a quick touch of a Homelink button in the app could open or close it. Again, sorry if this has been proposed before, and if anyone knows where to send such suggestions where Tesla might actually see them, I'd appreciate the insight.

Neat idea!

There is no video connection from the front camera to anything else. All processing is done on board the camera and the details sent to the car to decide what to do.
The video feed from the rear camera also doesn't touch anything capable of doing any processing or forwarding, it bypasses everything and goes straight to the display.
As a result, it is currently physically impossible for tesla to add this feature to existing vehicles. This would require new hardware.

Remote HomeLink button exists in the Remote S app. It also exists in the official app, but requires your Tesla to be unplugged and for you to be near the car to get the Summon menu. They put the HomeLink button in the Summon menu. In Remote S, these requirements were removed and you can trigger HomeLink as long as you enable Summon in the car settings (hopefully this requirement will be removed by Tesla eventually).

As for the rear camera, I doubt that it would be supported. Better off just getting a webcam, hook it up to WiFi and get 24/7 surveillance in your garage. Bonus for being able to record to a memory card or remote server for security footage.

Remote HomeLink button exists in the Remote S app. It also exists in the official app, but requires your Tesla to be unplugged and for you to be near the car to get the Summon menu. They put the HomeLink button in the Summon menu. In Remote S, these requirements were removed and you can trigger HomeLink as long as you enable Summon in the car settings (hopefully this requirement will be removed by Tesla eventually).

Allen, does the remote homelink work for non-AP cars?

Last edited:
Interesting idea.

Although newer garage door openers can report actual status and operate remotely, this could be great because it uses existing hardware.

My Chamberlain reports status to my phone and can be opened / closed. If I close remotely, it gives a warning beep and will let me know if something got in the way and triggered the obstruction sensor.