Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backup camera went black then came back. Anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve heard from a couple people that you just pound on the camera icon on the card in the lower left, turning camera on and off, until the camera comes back. I have not had occasion to try this yet, but I have been told that it works.

Happens to me infrequently and reboots have not usually fixed it. Heard about this solution recently. So next time I’ll be toggling madly. Just toggle it a bunch of times. It’s faster than a reboot. Eventually Tesla might figure out how to do this automatically!

Report back if it works!

I just updated to 5.15 a few days ago. Camera has gone black a few times today and several quick toggles brought it back each time!

I just updated to 5.15 a few days ago. Camera has gone black a few times today and several quick toggles brought it back each time!

Good to hear.

Still waiting for an opportunity to try this method (which is good). Since updating to 5.15 I've noticed it's slow to bring up the backup camera sometimes, but within a few seconds it has resolved from black to an image, all on its own.

A few times with foot on the Brake and putting in Reverse, the rear camera was black with just the white lines showing. As soon as I took my foot off the Brake the camera came on. Not sure if it was a "timing coincidence" or if it is related to the brake pedal. Usually the rear camera works just fine.

A few times with foot on the Brake and putting in Reverse, the rear camera was black with just the white lines showing. As soon as I took my foot off the Brake the camera came on. Not sure if it was a "timing coincidence" or if it is related to the brake pedal. Usually the rear camera works just fine.
Hmm. Interesting. Thinking back, I probably had my foot on the brake too... not wanting to actually MOVE in reverse until the camera begins working.... I'll start to test that on purpose.

I reported it happening to me a few weeks ago. I don't think it ever happened more than once in the first 4-5 months. Then 5 or 6 times now in the last month or two. And many times it has been black for 1-2 seconds, then comes on. Once it was black for 3-4 seconds before it came on.

Not scientific, but it seems it happens more when the car is cold (first time in the morning or evening after all day at work) and when I did not connect via phone app to tun on climate control.

Since 2019.5.15 update ,new issue. When shifting P->R the backup camera sometimes waits a couple of seconds before activating. Black screen until then. I've seen other black screen situations, but it recovers pretty quickly, so I haven't figured out any association.

I have had issues with the right stalk since I got the car in December, where it sometimes doesn't accept a request to enter AutoSteer. Troubling because if I'm in Cruise I THINK I'm now in Autosteer, but then I realize I'm not. Ouch. It's also failed to enter Reverse a few times. It's like the sensor polling misses the event or the sensor is intermittent. I'll have to take it in at some point soon.

Last edited:
Since 2019.5.15 update ,new issue. When shifting P->R the backup camera sometimes waits a couple of seconds before activating. Black screen until then. I've seen other black screen situations, but it recovers pretty quickly, so I haven't figured out any association.

I have had issues with the right stalk since I got the car in December, where it sometimes doesn't accept a request to enter AutoSteer. Troubling because if I'm in Cruise I THINK I'm now in Autosteer, but then I realize I'm not. Ouch. It's also failed to enter Reverse a few times. It's like the sensor polling misses the event or the sensor is intermittent. I'll have to take it in at some point soon.

I have the same exact issues as you!

As for the autosteer problem - I feel like it was working fine before been the last update - it seems now it requires a SLOWER double tap on stalk to enter AP mode. Before update, I basically instant double tapped on stalk & it would go into AP. Now, it’s a more like: tap...tap. I also learned the hard way when my car almost changed lanes into another passing car going 70 mph when I doubled tapped and thought I was in AP when I was only in cruise !!

Rear camera going black — I started happening in the past ~30 days.
Possible it became an issue after last update

This was still happening to me with 8.3, and Tesla pushed out v. 8.4 to me to fix it.

Happy to say it's a bit better. Sad to say it's only mostly fixed. Out of about ten times I put the car in reverse, the screen either flashes a black screen (about half the time) and the backup camera works, OR about two times out of ten the screen stays black for a minumum of five seconds. I've followed up with them and they'll get back to me.

I recommend when it happens that you note the time. They've constantly asked me for time stamps so they can go right to the exact time it occurs (and check code, I guess). So note the time.

They're fully aware of the issue and are working to fix it. They tell me it is a firmware fix, rather than an issue where they'd need to replace the whole camera hardware.