Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backup camera went black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never had this problem until I got the 2019.5.4 update yesterday, and now it seems to happen almost every time I put the car in reverse. It usually resolves on it's own after a few minutes, but by then it's too late and I've already backed out from wherever I was parked. Has anyone reported this to Tesla and gotten it fixed?

• Love
Reactions: Elmexiken
I never had this problem until I got the 2019.5.4 update yesterday, and now it seems to happen almost every time I put the car in reverse. It usually resolves on it's own after a few minutes, but by then it's too late and I've already backed out from wherever I was parked. Has anyone reported this to Tesla and gotten it fixed?
Reported. They investigated and concluded it was a firmware issue, which will be fixed in a future update. Don't know if the recent one fixed it.

I went to get something from my trunk today before leaving our driveway at home and closed the trunk lid somewhat firmly. Got in and put the car into reverse and had a black screen -- but with the guide lines visible. Didn't want to back out and leave with the issue. Remembered this thread so wanted to report my experience. This was the first time I have experienced a black rear screen. I'm on 2019.5.4 but I've been on it for a few days and not had this happen before. I wondered if it had something to do with how I closed the trunk. Didn't want to do the reboot just yet so decided to try exiting the car and reentering it. Got in and was able to back out with the rear camera visible. Hasn't happened since and drove the car a few times since this morning. FWIW.

Just saw this thread for the first time. I have had my 3 since October and have seen the black screen (no guidelines, just black) several times. Each time I put it in park then reverse again and the camera works fine, so never thought much about it. I’m currently on 2018.50.6 software.

Reported. They investigated and concluded it was a firmware issue, which will be fixed in a future update. Don't know if the recent one fixed it.

Just to follow up on my previous post. I took my Model 3 in for service due to a turn signal issue and the blank screen reverse camera issue. They replaced the turn signal module, and investigated the issue with the reverse camera. They said that the camera issue is known in all models, and is a result of a recent firmware update (I think 2019.5.4). I have since gotten 2019.5.15. Just anecdotally it seems like the reverse issue happens less often, but it has still happened a few times since the firmware update.

A reset didn't bring it back, and the lens is clean. Anyone experience this?
Thanks.
Yes, happened while picking up from the service center. They pryed off the panel under the screen and left some damage, but in the end they flashed me to an older version of software (this is before the 15.5 update). On 15.5, my camera almost always starts black, but I wait a few seconds and then it turns on.

• Informative
Reactions: Tron 3
I replied to this thread a few weeks ago about it being black half the time or taking 2-3 seconds for the video to show. This week I notice it's better. Faster video time to come up, not instant and no complete black out. I'm still on the same version as several weeks ago. I don't manually reboot unless the car reboots itself?

I've had my car less than a week with firmware 2019.8.4. Has happened to me at least a half dozen times over the last few days. Didn't happen at all the first couple of days. I saw posts for this issue going back at least a year and most said is a firmware issue and would be fixed in an update. Wonder what update that will be.

We just finished a 2,800 Mile road trip and haven't had it happen again since the original occurrence.
I have driven across the US several times in my life and was amazed at how much less mental energy is needed on full days of driving with autopilot!