Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backup camera went black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My backup camera was back this morning. I thought for sure it was gonna need service because nothing I did would bring it back as it did for others. But it seems all fine now.

Mine blacked out again today. This time manually turning it on and off didn’t work, switching to P, D, or R didn’t help either. A hard reset didn’t do anything. I’m mildly annoyed to say the least.

No reoccurrence since the one time.

I don't see it as a disaster, just a small ripple in an otherwise placid sea.

The car has continued to evolve, which I see as a massive benefit. It's better than when I bought it.
I also own an internet connection laser engraver which has continued to improve admirably over the two years I've own it.
Pushed software updates will sometimes have a bug, that's why we put that little piece of rubber on the end of a pencil... Welcome to Earth.

Just had my first occurrence this morning. Drove 50 miles to work using NOA. When I tried reversing into the parking space, I noticed the picture was black with the white guidelines. After I finished parking, I tried the scroll wheel reset, reset with brake and manual power off. Nothing worked, so I called support. I was told that the rear camera is showing up as not being calibrated and will need to be taken into service. Waiting for mobile service to contact me and schedule an appointment.

Not sure what happened. I thought NOA used all the cameras, so having that work with an uncalibrated rear camera is surprising.

LR RWD 50.6 with 3,800 miles

Just had my first occurrence this morning. Drove 50 miles to work using NOA. When I tried reversing into the parking space, I noticed the picture was black with the white guidelines. After I finished parking, I tried the scroll wheel reset, reset with brake and manual power off. Nothing worked, so I called support. I was told that the rear camera is showing up as not being calibrated and will need to be taken into service. Waiting for mobile service to contact me and schedule an appointment.

Not sure what happened. I thought NOA used all the cameras, so having that work with an uncalibrated rear camera is surprising.

LR RWD 50.6 with 3,800 miles

I have the same problem but I was told that I would need to bring it in to the service center for camera recalibration. They told you it could be done by mobile service?

I have the same problem but I was told that I would need to bring it in to the service center for camera recalibration. They told you it could be done by mobile service?

According to phone support, yes. He made the recommendation after seeing that my service center is very backed up. I'm still waiting for the mobile technician to call me for scheduling, so I'll update as soon as I hear back.

Reactions: jrad6515
For me it seems to rise up again after each recent update. And like others have said, after awhile (or a restart or two or some other sequence) the cam does come back on. Then it goes off again later. Then back on...

Tesla, the Self-Healing (and re-healing over and over again) car!