Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backup plan while waiting for the refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 3yo and 3mo old children. We have been with one car (M3) since Nov. Wife is going back to office mid Oct so, we need something soon. Currently, our EDD is Oct but since we most likely won't get the refresh X in Oct we are pondering between these two options:

1. Get Model Y performance, with a current estimate of 3-4 weeks. Trade-in or sell when X is ready to be delivered.
2. Care by Volvo (XC40 or XC60) and return after 5 months or when X is ready.

Assuming X is ready in 5 months, with option 1, how much do you think we would lose in value for the trade-in/private sale? With option 2, we would lose, let's say $5K after 5 months. If option 1 doesn't lose more than $10K then we might just get the Model Y. But knowing my wife, if we get the Y, she will just say that it's good enough and would want to cancel the X. Any advice/input is welcome. Thanks.

...But knowing my wife, if we get the Y, she will just say that it's good enough and would want to cancel the X...

Usually, a car depreciates with some exceptions such as during this pandemic. So I wouldn't emphasize that aspect but I would pay attention to the practicality.

I would agree with your wife and the Y for a while until the production of X is stabilized by the global part supply. Cybertruck and Roadster are delayed until 2023 so that might be a reasonable time to think the production will be back to normal by then while you can enjoy your Model Y in the meantime.

I went with option 2 (XC40) after waiting since Nov last year. Just so you know, I read that in CA, you don't have that program Care by Volvo.
And also, the option XC40 is no longer available. Only XC60 and 90 which will cost you more.

We have a 3yo and 3mo old children. We have been with one car (M3) since Nov. Wife is going back to office mid Oct so, we need something soon. Currently, our EDD is Oct but since we most likely won't get the refresh X in Oct we are pondering between these two options:

1. Get Model Y performance, with a current estimate of 3-4 weeks. Trade-in or sell when X is ready to be delivered.
Definitely don't get the Y.
- You will lose $5500 in LA/California sales tax immediately. You will get $0 of that back when you try to resell or trade in.
- Resale value of Y which has looked great for the past 6 months, is now looking poor with a massive load of Ys suddenly churning out of Shanghai to supply Asia and Europe, and about to start production in Berlin and Austin, plus Fremont. The introduction of the standard range Y in Asia and Europe will likely come to the US, and reduce Y resale value further.
- The Y is just like the 3, and it's bumpy, with poor rear seat legroom, and basic somewhat cheap interior. The strip of "wood" across the headliner is atrocious. The X is amazing, with air suspension and dual screens and smoother highway ride and tons of space, and awesome interior finishes, and automatic doors.

Rent a car for 6 months, any car. Definitely purchase a new or used X.

I ordered an X in April, my account shows estimated delivery November 2021. So I just ordered a Y, however the expected delivery on the Y is January or February 2022. I think reality is the X probably won't be here until Jan/Feb 2021. My plan is to take which ever one comes in first. However if the Y comes in first I may take it then trade it in with (and if) the X arrives.

Reactions: Hebert
I ordered an X in April, my account shows estimated delivery November 2021. So I just ordered a Y, however the expected delivery on the Y is January or February 2022. I think reality is the X probably won't be here until Jan/Feb 2021. My plan is to take which ever one comes in first. However if the Y comes in first I may take it then trade it in with (and if) the X arrives.
Same situation here. Ordered MXLR in early May, original deliver date was Jan and now it disappeared. I guess March is earliest.

Weighing on whether to order a MY due to the proposed tax credit. $54k vs $90k is comparable give size/feature differences, but if MY has $7500-10000 discount, then I would think again. I would place an order of MY once deliver date is March. I am not in a hurry any way.

I ordered MY over the weekend. Was originally going to get MYP but since my kids will be in it most of the time figure I save a few grand. Yeah, with the tax credit, I already know my wife would not trade in MY for MX especially after we already paid the sales tax. Figure I would deal with it when we have to make the decision.

Assuming X is ready in 5 months, with option 1, how much do you think we would lose in value for the trade-in/private sale? With option 2, we would lose, let's say $5K after 5 months. If option 1 doesn't lose more than $10K then we might just get the Model Y. But knowing my wife, if we get the Y, she will just say that it's good enough and would want to cancel the X. Any advice/input is welcome. Thanks.
We have a 2021 Model Y with low, low miles 7 pass., long range w/ larger wheels and tow package. May be interested in trade..cash for your Model X when it arrives?

My wife just purchased a Mach-E premium to drive until her X came. That car would passed on to either myself or our daughter when the X finally arrived in … She is thinking of canceling the X. We are tired of the lack of communication and guessing games. Frankly, I am over Elon’s shenanigans and may sell my Model 3 if a compelling option comes along. Please don’t tell me I am a hater, I’ve been driving Tesla’s since 2015 and loved the cars. But the X delay combined with the lack of communication as soured me on the company.

My wife just purchased a Mach-E premium to drive until her X came. That car would passed on to either myself or our daughter when the X finally arrived in … She is thinking of canceling the X. We are tired of the lack of communication and guessing games. Frankly, I am over Elon’s shenanigans and may sell my Model 3 if a compelling option comes along. Please don’t tell me I am a hater, I’ve been driving Tesla’s since 2015 and loved the cars. But the X delay combined with the lack of communication as soured me on the company.
Always an option. That is why I have an F-150 Lightning on order. Unfortunately, it looks like Ford is now 2+ years out given their very low production numbers (25-30,000 1st year, 40-50K 2nd year) and decreasing. I am in the 60K on the waiting list, and I assume Tesla will deliver my X well beforeFord will deliver the F-150 Lightning.

This chip production shortage looks to be with us until the end of 2022/beginning of 2023.

I like the idea of having my wife sitting in the back with our two young children and tend to their needs on a long road trip. It's impossible to sit with them in Model 3 with two car seats. And the fact that loading them in and out of the car will be a breeze we were willing to splurge on the X to save our back from bending multiple years to come.

I like the idea of having my wife sitting in the back with our two young children and tend to their needs on a long road trip. It's impossible to sit with them in Model 3 with two car seats. And the fact that loading them in and out of the car will be a breeze we were willing to splurge on the X to save our back from bending multiple years to come.
Yep. FWDs are great for getting in and out of the rear seats. I would have loved to had them when my kids were in child seats.