Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forced Loan from Tesla Bank?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would you pay $60k for an "average car" from a company with "terrible service"?
Good question. We love EV since 2018, and no more gas car forever. We booked GM Lyriq, beside own Bolt for years, never thought about Tesla due to this is a new car company, not as GM who make cars for many years. but, we waited and waited for Lyriq and heard it may still need another 6 months or so. We need car and decided to go along with the most popular ones with the think " if we made mistake, then many people made the same mistakes and so be it".
Why average? Tesla Y, about 60K car selling in China at 40K due to many better EVs there.
One word, Tesla is no choice's choice.

If this is how you feel about the car, then you might want to re consider going through with the purchase.

This depends on where you are. You mention:

But "shanghai office" has nothing to do with any Tesla delivered in the US. Even in the US, whether you have to pay ahead of time or not depends on what state in the US you are. "Most" states in the US allow you to pay when you pick up the car. Those that do not allow direct sales, dont. I have no input about outside the US (which is where all "shanghai" vehicles are delivered.)
I was talking about Connecticut. Well, it is possible the state not allow non-dealer? But, I visited a showroom which located in our state so really do not know what is the real situation.
My pre buy car experiences always was pay the dealer and get the car at same day.

Well. My thinking is car must be a car first, then we can talk about which power made it move.
Not really. None of the other car companies believed a fully electric car was viable enough to get many customers to buy it. Elon proved them wrong. The Bolt is nothing like any previous GM car.

As for the payment, contact them again and ask what you need to do, if there's time.

I was talking about Connecticut. Well, it is possible the state not allow non-dealer? But, I visited a showroom which located in our state so really do not know what is the real situation.
My pre buy car experiences always was pay the dealer and get the car at same day.

Connecticut is one of the states that does not allow direct sales of vehicles, according to the wiki article I normally reference when looking at this. This means you likely have to pay ahead of time, unless you are leasing.

Based on what you have posted here though, I personally dont think you should go through with the purchase. I do not think the ownership experience is going to meet your expectations. Its not that I think you have unreasonable expectations, but the purchase and ownership experience are different from other companies, and the purchasing experience is one of the easier parts.

If you dont like this purchasing experience, and you think the car is average, and are talking about "$60k car sold in china for 40k" when its actually $48k car sold in china for 42k" (based on conversion rates I am looking at right now), I think it shows that you dont really want the car but feel you "need" to buy it for some reason.

The ownership experience is going to be a bit more challenging than the purchasing experience, if you ever have to engage them for service. This is not ment to be anything but a dispassionate opinion, not any sort of indication of anything other than I am a firm believer of not every product is right for everyone, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Anyway, you will need to pay ahead of time based on Connecticut state laws. How far in advance I dont know. I would personally pay as late as possible (well, in CA we can pay on pickup, and thats what I did).

Connecticut is one of the states that does not allow direct sales of vehicles, according to the wiki article I normally reference when looking at this. This means you likely have to pay ahead of time, unless you are leasing.

Based on what you have posted here though, I personally dont think you should go through with the purchase. I do not think the ownership experience is going to meet your expectations. Its not that I think you have unreasonable expectations, but the purchase and ownership experience are different from other companies, and the purchasing experience is one of the easier parts.

If you dont like this purchasing experience, and you think the car is average, and are talking about "$60k car sold in china for 40k" when its actually $48k car sold in china for 42k" (based on conversion rates I am looking at right now), I think it shows that you dont really want the car but feel you "need" to buy it for some reason.

The ownership experience is going to be a bit more challenging than the purchasing experience, if you ever have to engage them for service. This is not ment to be anything but a dispassionate opinion, not any sort of indication of anything other than I am a firm believer of not every product is right for everyone, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Anyway, you will need to pay ahead of time based on Connecticut state laws. How far in advance I dont know. I would personally pay as late as possible (well, in CA we can pay on pickup, and thats what I did).
I disagree that the purchase experience is one of the easier parts. At least not always.

I've had a Tesla since 2019. The purchasing experience for my M3 was in the store, so that was easy. I've used 2 of the 3 service centers around San Diego several times from warranty issues to installing 3rd party parts, to major software or firmware glitches. They've been very good every time I've been there (knock wood). My experience trading my M3 in for my MY was a total sh!t show. MUCH more friction than anything I've experienced so far. The purchasing system is half-baked. They know it and work around it because otherwise sales wouldn't get completed if they didn't.

I know that the quality spread for service centers is wide and that some places are lacking so I'm not saying my experience is universal. My point is that the purchasing process is not universally better than the service experience or the general ownership experience. And I would argue that if you're comparing BEVs to BEVs the ownership process is likely much better for Tesla overall due to the fact that most other BEV manufacturers are totally playing catchup. I don't think anybody pushes out software updates as often as Tesla does. Granted they can sometimes fix 2 things and break 1, but the alternative with other companies is you sit with the bugs you have for months and months.

And for servicing, people are getting suckered into believing that just because they buy a GM or Ford BEV that it will be easy to get it serviced since there are dealers all over the place. However, what GM or Ford won't tell you is that some service centers may have 1 or 2 BEV techs or maybe even none. Their focus is on ICE cars and they're going into the BEV world kicking and screaming.

When your car is scheduled for delivery, you will get a text telling you when and where. At that point, you can ask about final payment and they should be able to confirm the final amount you owe. You can also ask about when you need to make final payment. You should ask if you can bring a cashier's check for the full amount with you to the delivery. That way you have a chance to look at the actual car before taking delivery. I think you will probably be picking up in My Kisco, NY, in Westchester County NY.