Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad AP Computer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone translate this for me? I'm looking at a used 2018 LR RWD with less than 4,000 miles. This seems to one holdup.

"This car is a manufacture buyback to to a bad autopilot computer, This issue has been rectified by Tesla and the car has the balanced of all factory warranties and supercharging ability."

Manufacturers buy backs are for lemons and I’m sure there is more to the story. Had it been as simple as a bad computer, it would have been fixed under warranty and been done with.

Not necessarily. Quite a few owners on this forum are ready to sue Tesla, and demand a new car, over things like a random software issue.
In any case, if the car has a warranty, it’s a good price, and the battery is good, go for it. !

If its a good enough price to be worth the risk, I wouldn't let the buyback scare me off personally. Buybacks can happen for all sorts of reasons beyond something that couldn't be fixed in 3 attempts. It could also be that parts weren't available and the car was out of service long enough to qualify for a buyback.

Just verify with Tesla that all the warranties are indeed intact and check the car over thoroughly. If you aren't very familiar with Teslas or the model 3, bring a friend who is. They'll be able to tell you what sounds normal and what doesn't.

I once bought a used Impala that was used as an airport rental car. It only had 10K miles on it, had mismatched wheels and tires, the bumpers were horribly scratched, and the interior of course was stained. The dealership had the bumpers repainted, I bought new take-off wheels and tires from ebay, and spent a half a day with my steam cleaner making the interior look and smell new. After a week you wouldn't know it wasn't a brand new car. Had it for 2 years, drove it 40K miles, and sold it for as much as I bought it for. It had the factory warranty but I never had to use it.

Reactions: MP3Mike
If you buy a vehicle that is a lemon law buyback or structurally damaged you will instantly lose money. It makes no difference if it has been repaired. The vehicle is "branded" and you will not be able to sell it at market value. You will lose a lot of money. You have to disclose this to any potential buyer. How do I know this? I am a buyer for a major dealer and have been for years. Yes, I own and drive a M3 Dual Motor and love it. No more ICE for me!

Reactions: M109Rider
If you buy a vehicle that is a lemon law buyback or structurally damaged you will instantly lose money. It makes no difference if it has been repaired. The vehicle is "branded" and you will not be able to sell it at market value. You will lose a lot of money. You have to disclose this to any potential buyer. How do I know this? I am a buyer for a major dealer and have been for years. Yes, I own and drive a M3 Dual Motor and love it. No more ICE for me!

I wasn’t aware it would have a branded title. I’m not interested in that, nor does 42k make sense if it’s branded. It’d have to Be a great deal for me to even consider a branded car.