Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
White Model 3 wrapped in Xpel recently and then ceramic on the full car. $3000 dollar job all in. The wrap was full front, rocker, and door edges. We got it back, and within the first 2 weeks I now have many new dirt line accents. Trying to determine whether it was just a bad application, because the installer is offering to "tune-up" this application but I would rather cut my losses than allow an inexperienced installer to go at this again with a razor knife and pretty much really screw up the factory paint. Anyone else have a similar result on a white Tesla?

I guess you can't upload video, but 'pulling edge back' shows where I'm pulling down on a heavy 16th inch lip of XPel wrap not bonded.

'Spot release' shows that either that was a bubble, or any contact to the wrap by road debris makes a breach and turns into an ugly spot bigger that if I had done nothing.

Attachments

• doors.jpg
    doors.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 261
  • front air pocket.jpg
    front air pocket.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 216
  • spot release.jpg
    spot release.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 199
  • turn signal.jpg
    turn signal.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 227
  • Pulling edge back.jpg
    Pulling edge back.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 207
White Model 3 wrapped in Xpel recently and then ceramic on the full car. $3000 dollar job all in. The wrap was full front, rocker, and door edges. We got it back, and within the first 2 weeks I now have many new dirt line accents. Trying to determine whether it was just a bad application, because the installer is offering to "tune-up" this application but I would rather cut my losses than allow an inexperienced installer to go at this again with a razor knife and pretty much really screw up the factory paint. Anyone else have a similar result on a white Tesla?

I guess you can't upload video, but 'pulling edge back' shows where I'm pulling down on a heavy 16th inch lip of XPel wrap not bonded.

'Spot release' shows that either that was a bubble, or any contact to the wrap by road debris makes a breach and turns into an ugly spot bigger that if I had done nothing.

Dayden,

We would recommend taking it back to your installer first to let them address your concerns. If they're not able to clean/trim the edges that may be too exposed or to fix the air pockets and spot release, then please contact us directly at [email protected] or 210-678-3700 and we'll be happy to help any way we can.

Thank you very much for choosing XPEL to protect your Tesla!

You might want to ensure that the installer is an authorised/certified XPEL dealer before having them address your concerns. If they are, then I would be less concerned about giving them a second go.

It is really hard to judge from a few photos, but it does appear that you have some larger than average gaps from the edges. Even so, the edge of the film should not be lifting.

Last edited:
Dayden,

We would recommend taking it back to your installer first to let them address your concerns. If they're not able to clean/trim the edges that may be too exposed or to fix the air pockets and spot release, then please contact us directly at [email protected] or 210-678-3700 and we'll be happy to help any way we can.

Thank you very much for choosing XPEL to protect your Tesla!
This is exactly why I chose Xpel. First response in this thread and it's Xpel. No surprise. Awesome customer service. Beautiful car, solid product, great people. Your car will look gorgeous, guaranteed, just like mine.

• Love
Reactions: XPEL
I noticed Xpel is highly regarded on this site. My local installer uses 3M Pro Series paint protection wrap. Anyone familiar with this product?
Most of the wraps (Xpel, Suntek, 3M, etc.) are very similar as far as the actual product goes and most offer similar warranties. What will most affect your satisfaction is the experience of the installer. Make sure they are certified by the manufacturer, and check out as many examples of their work as you can online and in person.

• Helpful
Reactions: XPEL and Kleenerth3
Most of the wraps (Xpel, Suntek, 3M, etc.) are very similar as far as the actual product goes and most offer similar warranties. What will most affect your satisfaction is the experience of the installer. Make sure they are certified by the manufacturer, and check out as many examples of their work as you can online and in person.

This is key. So long as you’re purchasing a quality wrap from a reputable brand, the installer’s skill and customer service far outweighs whether one brand’s wrap is better than another. I ended up going with SunTek because the installer is very well regarded, had a great price point and was located 10 minutes from the delivery center. Had I had my car trucked from Utah to my house for delivery, I would have gone with Xpel.

Reactions: XPEL
whats the story behind this, i have to think it was someone taking a road trip or something and wanted short term protection before doing something else to the car. like people who tape up their front end driving from dealer to ppf installer type thing

Probably a road trip or love bug season in Florida where the front of your car will literally turn brown for a few weeks if you drive around a lot. Not a bad idea if you don’t care about looks for a few days.

Thank you to Xpel for the fast response and support, and to all that have commented. I modified my profile so as not to go straight to criticizing the installer until I determine how unusual the result was, and avoided posting to my local Tesla group as well. I understand the challenge is much greater with white, and so I'll go back to the installer and be honest in saying, if we can't tune this install up with an assurance that the original finish is not going to get scratched, then I'll have to debate if I can take it off, and just go with ceramic. That's a lot of coin to eat though. What is the point of applying film that has a new, unwashable dirt line at every seem and at every (new) point of contact when it did its job.

I will try and trust the 'skill' of the one wielding the razor blade during the tune-up.

I also had a good talk with another industry detailer, also owning a white Tesla that had been wrapped, and they did not experience these issues to the extent I did. But they did proceed with a tune-up that was successful as far as they can tell.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Reactions: XPEL and Kleenerth3