Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Badly scratched rear glass. Any way to buff out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

phantasms

Mr Self Destruct
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2019
White Mountains, NH
Hi all,

Yesterday I badly scratched my rear glass in a parking garage. My punishment for being someone who always backs into a spot. lol. This could have been wayyyy worse. Is there any way to polish these scratches to ~80% better? I’m sure there’s no way to fully fix but I’d love to not have to replace the whole panel. Funny, if my car didn’t have a backup camera this probably wouldn’t have happened. And yes I have USS. 😂

Thank you!!!

IMG_3986.jpeg
IMG_3980.jpeg
IMG_3977.jpeg

Oof. Glad it wasn't worse. If you put a few drops of water on it, doesn't it restore the clarity of the glass? If so, there may be some type of epoxy that would at least help those spots become more clear. I forget what it's called but there's a specific type of resin used to repair windshield cracks. You can buy such repair kits on Amazon or auto parts stores.

• Love
Reactions: phantasms
There's glass polish available, but if the scratches are deep and have a chance of developing into full blown cracks, then an epoxy based windshield repair kit probably is a better bet. If it is the latter, better get it done quickly before it develops into a crack from stresses. One works based on removing material, the other based on filling.

• Love
  • Love
Reactions: Adam3 and phantasms
I'd take it to one of those windshield repair places and see if they can epoxy it. They may be too big though. I've polished my windshield (not on my Tesla) with cerium oxide and a polisher and it only cleans up very very shallow crazing. It is not going to work on that. Not only won't it work, but it will fill the rough area of the scratches with that compound (which is white) and you'll never get it out. If you cram a lot of polishing compound in there and then try to get it epoxied it won't look good. In fact you may want to cover them with some clear packing take to prevent stuff getting in there.

But that glass may be damaged. It looks like those scratches are long, so I'm guessing the glass was bent when you backed up against that concrete beam and that may not be good for the glass. I wonder if your insurance has 0 deductible replacement on the rear glass?

• Love
Sorry, didn't mean to come off as snarky. But there is a reason why those signs say to pull in front first. Too bad it was designed that way, I'm sure you weren't the only one that's done that.
All good my man. Honestly I always just back in. Often when there are signs that say not to it’s just for parking enforcement or some nonsense. There’s not usually a giant zillion pound reason not too. 😂