Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Balancing NEM buckets over the year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was confirmed to me today by a PG&E solar rep on phone.

The big surprise to me, and why I had such a challenge understanding the true-up, is that during the true up ALL peak, off peak and partial peak buckets are treated the same. There is no incentive by NEW2 to over produce during peak or partial peak instead of off peak. I was stunned that the PG&E true up rate didn't care. That's great for me as a power producer, but doesn't help social grid issues / challenges (duck curve, etc.)
This is true as long as the sum of your monthly Energy Charges is negative for the year. Then you will be compensated at about $0.03/kWh for excess generation no matter when they were generated. But the more energy you use during peak the less negative your energy charges will be for the year and it could drive you into positive energy charges territory. That's where the incentive to limit usage and increase production during peak comes in.

I've attached a copy of my True-Up statement that I based post #20 on below. I'm on NEM2 EV2A. Perhaps my using the term Net Producer is incorrect but it looks like PG&E uses Energy Charges to determine the line between if you owe money or get credited. The verbiage is constantly referencing charges. The only time net kWh usage is mentioned is when determining surplus credit. It would be interesting to see someone with on NEM2 with positive energy charges post their True-Up statement to see what the differences are.

View attachment 728461

What's the difference between the -$256.04 for NEM charges in the first table vs $209.56 in the second table for energy charges?

Reactions: wwhitney
Okay, so either we need to be a net consumer with over $120 in energy charges, OR generate enough NBCs to offset the $120 MBC. $120/.03 cents per NBC = 4000 kWh from grid annually?
It depends on what your objectives are.
My annual target is to get as close to 0 Energy Charges (without going positive) while getting the NBCs to equal the MDCs and while minimizing the throughput on the Powerwalls.

But I'm a net producer and believe the Powerwalls will last longer with less use.

If you're a net producer but don't believe Powerwalls will last longer with less use you might as well set your reserve to the lowest you feel comfortable for power outages. It will reduce your bill a little.

Last edited: