Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Base 19 in Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Does anyone know what the model/make/size of the tires that come on the Model Y non-performance? I'm pretty picky with tires and looks like I'll have delivery in the next month or so. Want to do some research on them to determine if I want to switch once the car comes in. Thanks in advance!

The OE tires that come with the 19" Gemini Wheels are Continental Procontact RX all-season tires size 255/45R-19. Fine for every day driving; ok in rain but barely acceptable for use on snow and ice. Most tires have 10/32 inch tread depth when new but these tires have 9/32 inch when new.

Reactions: hpartsch
I'm also planning on switching out the OE tires to replace them with some All Weathers since I do a lot of skiing and mountain driving. Any ideas on what the market looks like for OE tire take-offs?

I've seen Gemini wheel, tire, TPMS combined take-offs listed for sale but very few for just the OE tires \.

I'm also planning on switching out the OE tires to replace them with some All Weathers since I do a lot of skiing and mountain driving. Any ideas on what the market looks like for OE tire take-offs?

I've seen Gemini wheel, tire, TPMS combined take-offs listed for sale but very few for just the OE tires \.
I don't think you'll be able to offload the OE tires by themselves, unless you get lucky with someone... I've never had good luck with OE take offs, which is why I had 8 wheels/tires in my garage, and an additional 4 tires. One set of tires, I only managed to get rid of to somebody on the online boards if I gave them to him for free, but they had to pay for shipping... So I used duct tape, and taped the 4 tires together, and went to UPS...

I don't think you'll be able to offload the OE tires by themselves, unless you get lucky with someone... I've never had good luck with OE take offs, which is why I had 8 wheels/tires in my garage, and an additional 4 tires. One set of tires, I only managed to get rid of to somebody on the online boards if I gave them to him for free, but they had to pay for shipping... So I used duct tape, and taped the 4 tires together, and went to UPS...
That's fair, figured there was a minimal market for them but I have no storage space to hold onto them. It sucks because All Seasons are never great in snow but based on reviews, the OE conti's seem to be really bad in wet and snowy conditions.

That's fair, figured there was a minimal market for them but I have no storage space to hold onto them. It sucks because All Seasons are never great in snow but based on reviews, the OE conti's seem to be really bad in wet and snowy conditions.
In all my years, I don't think I've ever owned a car where the OE tires were any good in wet or snowy conditions... But anyways, I had some friends tell me that some of the mom and pop tire shops will buy used tires, so you can look into that...

Reactions: PNWLeccy
In all my years, I don't think I've ever owned a car where the OE tires were any good in wet or snowy conditions... But anyways, I had some friends tell me that some of the mom and pop tire shops will buy used tires, so you can look into that...
Part of me thinks I should do burnouts to wear out the OE tires, take them to Discount Tire for a warranty claim to get the prorated refund* and buy the tires I REALLY want. haha

*I know everyone says that there's no warranty on OE tires but I've seen many reports of people having success w/ the claim so maybe it's worth a try.

Part of me thinks I should do burnouts to wear out the OE tires, take them to Discount Tire for a warranty claim to get the prorated refund* and buy the tires I REALLY want. haha

*I know everyone says that there's no warranty on OE tires but I've seen many reports of people having success w/ the claim so maybe it's worth a try.
According to Tire Rack, the OEM 19" tire (Conti ProContact RX) has a 40k mile warranty. It's the Goodyear Eagle F1 on the inductions that don't have a warranty... If you just got your car, you can actually go to Discount Tire, and buy certificates for the OE tires... That way should you have an "unrepairable flat", you can get a free replacement..

As far as the rest... On my other car, I had a staggered setup... They pro-rated the front two tires for me when I replaced the rears, even tho the fronts still had around half tread left, so that I could get a full set.

I'm thinking of either replacing with one the options below. Thinking the Model Y probably has a tad of wiggle room to adjust tire sizes slightly if needed on the rims. But we'll see. When I had my Model S there was very little clearance for such in the front.

Michelin CrossClimate SUV - Comes in 255/50/19 - Assuming this would fit?? Any thoughts/experience?
Vredestein Quatrac Pro- had this tire on the Model S - was amazing and is amazing in the wet, dry and little snow I got to test it in.

Reactions: PNWLeccy
I'm thinking of either replacing with one the options below. Thinking the Model Y probably has a tad of wiggle room to adjust tire sizes slightly if needed on the rims. But we'll see. When I had my Model S there was very little clearance for such in the front.

Michelin CrossClimate SUV - Comes in 255/50/19 - Assuming this would fit?? Any thoughts/experience?
Vredestein Quatrac Pro- had this tire on the Model S - was amazing and is amazing in the wet, dry and little snow I got to test it in.
The 255/50-19 should fit no problem, as this guy put on CrossClimates in 255/45-20, which has the sidewalls upsized the same amount as the ones you are looking at. In a different thread, someone actually measured the clearance to the knuckles, and it was fine.

20211015_075645-jpg.722102

These are exactly the tires I'm considering to replace the conti procontacts with

:). Btw, saw your sig and also you're in the same area. Guessing you delayed your delivery? I had/wanted to x2. The first time was on vacation, 2nd time was to get a 2022.
Haha yup. Had a VIN mid-September but I was out of town for a week. Got another VIN early October when waiting for a 22' and then EV tax credit talks started progressing so I've put it on hold until 1/1/22. Probably screwed now since so many others have done the same and mine will be delayed and/or no All Weather tires will be available. Life is full of tradeoffs huh?

Haha yup. Had a VIN mid-September but I was out of town for a week. Got another VIN early October when waiting for a 22' and then EV tax credit talks started progressing so I've put it on hold until 1/1/22. Probably screwed now since so many others have done the same and mine will be delayed and/or no All Weather tires will be available. Life is full of tradeoffs huh?
If you are paranoid about tires, you could always buy the tires first, lol... I had a whole garage full of stuff for the Y MONTHS before I took delivery, haha.