Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Base 19 in Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are paranoid about tires, you could always buy the tires first, lol... I had a whole garage full of stuff for the Y MONTHS before I took delivery, haha.
Unfortunately, I don't have the space to store them. That's one of the reasons I'm choosing to go with All Weathers that are 3PMSF-rated rather than get another set of winter wheels.

Haha yup. Had a VIN mid-September but I was out of town for a week. Got another VIN early October when waiting for a 22' and then EV tax credit talks started progressing so I've put it on hold until 1/1/22. Probably screwed now since so many others have done the same and mine will be delayed and/or no All Weather tires will be available. Life is full of tradeoffs huh?
The tax credit is also pushing me to consider delaying again. However, I'm in a pickle as we need another car by Jan for my wife, since I sold our prior Tesla. I could get a rental for a month or two but that just cuts into the tax credit savings. I have a feeling it isn't going to pass also but it's nothing more than a gut feeling.

These are exactly the tires I'm considering to replace the conti procontacts with
I think the Cross Climates 2 are newer/better technology than the CC SUV. Thinking about them now instead of the CC SUV. CC2 are also suited for SUV/crossovers per tirerack's site. It's unclear to me why michelin has the SUV and CC 2 -- other than size differences and to add more confusion to their mix.

Thoughts? Looks like this would increase the height of the car a tad maybe an inch or less, which might be beneficial for curbs/etc.

Btw, picking up the Y today, assuming nothing crazy is wrong during the inspection.

I think the Cross Climates 2 are newer/better technology than the CC SUV. Thinking about them now instead of the CC SUV. CC2 are also suited for SUV/crossovers per tirerack's site. It's unclear to me why michelin has the SUV and CC 2 -- other than size differences and to add more confusion to their mix.
The CrossClimate2 is listed a Grand Touring, while the CrossClimateSUV is listed as CUV/Touring... According to TireRack, the Grand Touring category has an emphasis on handling and high speed capabilities. Personally I've never liked the handling characteristics of CUV tires, let alone Grand Touring Tires, and is why I stuck with UltraHighPerformance All Seasons, even on my SUVs, like the MDX.

Just make sure the load ratings meet/exceed OEM... The handling characteristics for me on my MDX made a huge difference when I switched from the OEM Grand Touring Tire, to the DWS-06 UHPAS that I have on there now. I imagine there is a similar handling difference between the GT CrossClimates vs the CUV CrossClimates. The wife and I are pretty spirited drivers, so handling was very important to us...

By the way, it's not just Michelin that has the "same tire" in the two categories... Others do too... Goodyear does the same thing. They have a the UHPAS Eagle F1 Asymmetric, but they also have a Eagle F1 Asymmetric SUV, in both summer and A/S.

Reactions: hpartsch
Haha yup. Had a VIN mid-September but I was out of town for a week. Got another VIN early October when waiting for a 22' and then EV tax credit talks started progressing so I've put it on hold until 1/1/22. Probably screwed now since so many others have done the same and mine will be delayed and/or no All Weather tires will be available. Life is full of tradeoffs huh?
Did you end up getting your car yet/tires? We had our first snow and the OEM tires blow as expected - almost ended up in a ditch 10 ft after leaving my driveway. My wifes car with the CC+ did amazing. Trying to get the CC SUV but they are out of stock for who knows how long :( - according to tire rack/discount tires.

265 /50 R19 110V XL BSW is in stock but I'm guessing this won't fit due to the control arm clearance.

Did you end up getting your car yet/tires? We had our first snow and the OEM tires blow as expected - almost ended up in a ditch 10 ft after leaving my driveway. My wifes car with the CC+ did amazing. Trying to get the CC SUV but they are out of stock for who knows how long :( - according to tire rack/discount tires.

265 /50 R19 110V XL BSW is in stock but I'm guessing this won't fit due to the control arm clearance.
I know my 19" OEM tires on the M3 are trash and my wife had to get a ride from Seattle to the eastside because they wouldn't make it down the hill.

I expect to be taking delivery really soon and it's discouraging to hear the MY OEM tires are just as horrible in the snow, as expected. I have no idea what I'll do with the OEM tires if I replace them since I imagine they will be hard to sell.

I may try to size up anyway since I want extra ground clearance but I'm not sure what will be available when I take delivery. It looks like 265 /50 R19 110V XL might work as it only adds about .7" tp the ride height and I believe you can go up more than an inch before having control arm/wheel well contact issues.
1640667318057.png

I know my 19" OEM tires on the M3 are trash and my wife had to get a ride from Seattle to the eastside because they wouldn't make it down the hill.

I expect to be taking delivery really soon and it's discouraging to hear the MY OEM tires are just as horrible in the snow, as expected. I have no idea what I'll do with the OEM tires if I replace them since I imagine they will be hard to sell.

I may try to size up anyway since I want extra ground clearance but I'm not sure what will be available when I take delivery. It looks like 265 /50 R19 110V XL might work as it only adds about .7" tp the ride height and I believe you can go up more than an inch before having control arm/wheel well contact issues. View attachment 749093
Let me know what you decide to do. I'm really frustrated. Discount tire wasn't sure if 255/50/19 would fit. I think it would be really close. They were willing to order/try them but - who knows when they would come in.

They didn't think the 265/50/19 would fit. However, it's also out of stock. From my looking at the front clearance/area - I'd agree with them.

I did contact Michelin and requested a CC2 or CCSUV in the 255 45 19 OEM size. They said the more people request it - the more likely it will be made. It's pretty easy to chat with them. They had no idea when the other tires would be back in stock :(...

Let me know what you decide to do. I'm really frustrated. Discount tire wasn't sure if 255/50/19 would fit. I think it would be really close. They were willing to order/try them but - who knows when they will come in.

They didn't think the 265/50/19 would fit. However, it's also out of stock. From my looking at the front clearance/area - I'd agree with them.

I did contact Michelin and requested a CC2 or CCSUV in the 255 45 19 OEM size. They said the more people request it - the more likely it will be made. It's pretty easy to chat with them. They had no idea when the other tires would be back in stock :(...
255/50r19 will fit totally fine. 29” diameter works.