Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Base Interior?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the textile seats in my X. They only came in black. I would assume the same. @boaterva is correct, nothing concrete until you place your order.

Seems logical, if frustrating. By the time this is done, I'm going to be sitting on white leather trying to figure out how to prevent it from dye transfer over time....we will need a lot of light color, non-denim clothing! :rolleyes:

Reactions: DrivingRockies
Seems logical, if frustrating. By the time this is done, I'm going to be sitting on white leather trying to figure out how to prevent it from dye transfer over time....we will need a lot of light color, non-denim clothing! :rolleyes:
The white interior is not leather. It is synthetic. To go further, any Tesla interior as of recently will not be real leather, it will be real synthetic leather. :p

The white interior is not leather. It is synthetic. To go further, any Tesla interior as of recently will not be real leather, it will be real synthetic leather. :p
Yes, of course you are correct, per the recent news. I was a bit loose with my terminology. But, even if synthetic is less porous than leather, the likelihood of staining/color wear on such a light/high-contrast seat will be high. But, in our area, a black interior will be a cooker......hmmmmm....

Reactions: Stirfelt
I wouldn't mind "textile" seats like these:
Porsche_911S_50th_Anniversary_Houndstooth_Interior_%289544295760%29.jpg

;);););););)

Reactions: Stirfelt
Yes, of course you are correct, per the recent news. I was a bit loose with my terminology. But, even if synthetic is less porous than leather, the likelihood of staining/color wear on such a light/high-contrast seat will be high. But, in our area, a black interior will be a cooker......hmmmmm....

Have you tried the high end tints? I mean, it costs like $600 to tint a regular car and the Tesla might be more because of the giant back window, but the stuff is pretty amazing.

We had black leatherette on our BMW. So "synthetic leather". Yes, it was a LOT hotter than the beige leather in our Lexus. However, it wasn't hot enough to burn the skin. After leaving it in the sun all day (we did put a windshield shade up; or you could tint the windshield if you're brave enough), I could sit on it in shorts with exposed skin touching the leatherette and while pretty warm, it didn't hurt. With the high end tints of course.

The benefit is the black looked brand new years later. Conversely, the light leather is permanently stained even though we do a good job of keeping the car clean. That famous Norwegian YouTuber who talks about Teslas showed what his white seats looked like after years and 40,000 miles of use. I'd love white seats, but I think I'm going to get the black ones after seeing what his look like.

if anything, I would say the synthetic would be less porous than leather. With a few exceptions, I have heard very little in regards to discoloration or color transfer in regards to white interior.

Have you tried the high end tints? I mean, it costs like $600 to tint a regular car and the Tesla might be more because of the giant back window, but the stuff is pretty amazing.

We had black leatherette on our BMW. So "synthetic leather". Yes, it was a LOT hotter than the beige leather in our Lexus. However, it wasn't hot enough to burn the skin. After leaving it in the sun all day (we did put a windshield shade up; or you could tint the windshield if you're brave enough), I could sit on it in shorts with exposed skin touching the leatherette and while pretty warm, it didn't hurt. With the high end tints of course.

The benefit is the black looked brand new years later. Conversely, the light leather is permanently stained even though we do a good job of keeping the car clean. That famous Norwegian YouTuber who talks about Teslas showed what his white seats looked like after years and 40,000 miles of use. I'd love white seats, but I think I'm going to get the black ones after seeing what his look like.
I would not judge the durability of the white seats based on the experience of Bjorn with his Model X. His use case is far outside what I would call normal wear and tear. It has only been one year and 40,000 miles in that short of time is a lot of getting in and out of the seats.

I would not judge the durability of the white seats based on the experience of Bjorn with his Model X. His use case is far outside what I would call normal wear and tear. It has only been one year and 40,000 miles in that short of time is a lot of getting in and out of the seats.

Why not? Obviously, his use case is extreme. But so is the "long term test" of say, Car and Driver? Why can't I extrapolate his use to match mine? Which would be 2 years and 40,000 miles. Particularly if I start driving the 3 almost exclusively over my ICE vehicle since the experience will be better. Or the conservative 4 years and 40,000 miles. After 2 to 4 years, shouldn't I expect to see permanent staining on the white seats? Whereas after over 4 years, the black leatherette on my old BMW showed no staining (cuz it's black obviously).

I doubt I'll tear holes in my seat like him, but I wouldn't discount it either. Which is why I'm glad the 3 doesn't come with perforated seats right now. The rest of the condition though... I don't see why I can't expect white seats to look something like his after a similar amount of miles.

Particularly if this ride sharing Tesla Network thing takes off.

How long have the white seats been out? Other than Bjorn, I haven't exactly found a lot of high mileage examples of how the white seats look.

Every light interior shows staining rather quick, no matter the brand or material.
Worst mistake I ever made was a beige interior for my last Mercedes. It looked incredibly fancy at the beginning and like somone had peed on the seats after 2 years....
you know you ****ed up when you`re left with a material that even normal tap water leaves stains on :eek::eek:

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Why not? Obviously, his use case is extreme. But so is the "long term test" of say, Car and Driver? Why can't I extrapolate his use to match mine? Which would be 2 years and 40,000 miles. Particularly if I start driving the 3 almost exclusively over my ICE vehicle since the experience will be better. Or the conservative 4 years and 40,000 miles. After 2 to 4 years, shouldn't I expect to see permanent staining on the white seats? Whereas after over 4 years, the black leatherette on my old BMW showed no staining (cuz it's black obviously).

I doubt I'll tear holes in my seat like him, but I wouldn't discount it either. Which is why I'm glad the 3 doesn't come with perforated seats right now. The rest of the condition though... I don't see why I can't expect white seats to look something like his after a similar amount of miles.

Particularly if this ride sharing Tesla Network thing takes off.

How long have the white seats been out? Other than Bjorn, I haven't exactly found a lot of high mileage examples of how the white seats look.
In my opinion, his 40,000 miles equals maybe 100,000 miles for normal people. He rents it out, he lets people borrow it, he lets fans sit in it. People getting in and out of it much more than would normally equate to in terms of mileage. He almost always wear jeans and has admitted to wearing unwashed denim which will definitely stain more.

Yes, you can extrapolate but my point is that his use case is such an extreme compared to the norm that it skews the perceived wear issues that statistically are most likely not correct. Of course the material is not magical and impervious but using one case in comparison to hundreds or thousands of others experiences that are the opposite speaks to the durability of the material.

Look on youtube for LikeTesla. They have good reviews on white seat and how they have held. Granted they do not have the perforated seats but I would think the discoloration potential wouldn't be much different between the two.

In my opinion, his 40,000 miles equals maybe 100,000 miles for normal people. He rents it out, he lets people borrow it, he lets fans sit in it. People getting in and out of it much more than would normally equate to in terms of mileage. He almost always wear jeans and has admitted to wearing unwashed denim which will definitely stain more.

Yes, you can extrapolate but my point is that his use case is such an extreme compared to the norm that it skews the perceived wear issues that statistically are most likely not correct. Of course the material is not magical and impervious but using one case in comparison to hundreds or thousands of others experiences that are the opposite speaks to the durability of the material.

Look on youtube for LikeTesla. They have good reviews on white seat and how they have held. Granted they do not have the perforated seats but I would think the discoloration potential wouldn't be much different between the two.

Ahh, I see. Thanks! I didn't realize he rents it out, lets people borrow it, lets fans sit on it, etc. I thought he was just a hard, but sole (along with his wife) user.

It was the only example I had seen. I just checked out LikeTesla. Hopefully they'll post an update. I'm mostly concerned about jeans staining. We've got really light beige in one car and a slightly darker beige in the other. The jean staining shows up much more on the light beige (plus, it's semi-aniline leather and doesn't have the same protective coating like "regular" leather). You notice it much less on the darker beige once you've cleaned off as much as you can.

White would certainly be more tolerable in the heat we get here.