Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Basenor wind noise reduction kit makes a very positive difference

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I installed the Basenor Door Seal kit and Quiet Seal kit for the roof glass seams. Took about two hours with a somewhat disabled left arm (shoulder replacement surgery about a month ago). Links to both kits are below.

These make a substantial and very noticeable difference in reducing wind noise, which makes them a very good a value. If you're concerned about wind noise I recommend these kits.

BASENOR Door Seal Kit Soundproof Rubber Weather Draft Seal Strip Wind Noise Reduction Kit

BASENOR Tesla Model 3 Wind Noise Reduction Kit Quiet Seal Kit 2.0

Reactions: hydro 481
Ordered. I’ll gladly give my opinion once I get it installed.
Please take before and after dB measurements. You can find a free phone app to take the measurements. Thanks! My results for the RPM wind strip is -2dB. I have door seals but haven't installed them. Other results: rear cargo mat, block rear deck baffle, front and rear sunshades, all virtually no measurable difference on the meter, although the sunshades seem to change the frequency of the noise sightly and seem to reduce reverberations.

Reactions: go2realize
Please take before and after dB measurements. You can find a free phone app to take the measurements. Thanks! My results for the RPM wind strip is -2dB. I have door seals but haven't installed them. Other results: rear cargo mat, block rear deck baffle, front and rear sunshades, all virtually no measurable difference on the meter, although the sunshades seem to change the frequency of the noise sightly and seem to reduce reverberations.
I will. I drive it on the same Hwy which has speeds of 75 and 65 daily.

I’m a dork and have used the iPhone app decibelX for ages. I’ll measure different days and see if there’s any sort of consistency.

I will. I drive it on the same Hwy which has speeds of 75 and 65 daily.

I’m a dork and have used the iPhone app decibelX for ages. I’ll measure different days and see if there’s any sort of consistency.

unless you know the frequency, SPL is useless on this stuff.

For all you know the highest peek is out of your hearing range. And a lower, more critical, frequency may or may not be changing.

Its extremely difficult to measure this stuff and know what impacts “comfort” to your ears.

SPL meters are good at measuring pink noise or known frequencies. Not an unknown frequency that may change between experiments.

I installed the door seal kit as well and did a pre/post sound check with a dedicated sound meter and found absolutely NO difference. The doors close a bit more 'solidly' but need a slight increase in force and the seals keep the door sill cleaner.

You would probably get the same limited benefit by getting some inexpensive P-seal on the bottom of the front door and the bottom and back of the rear door (and skip the Z-seal at the A and B pillars.)

PS: Just noticed this post started by an ? unbiased 'sponsor' so take everything said with at least a grain of salt.

I’m not sure “useless” is accurate.

Perception is reality, but numbers help quantify and possibly explain perception to others over the interwebs.

FWIW I get your point, feel free to ignore any numbers and any of my opinions on the mod I post once installed.

It’s fairly obvious that the placebo effect is either showing heavily here, or the difference between cars is enough that some get benefits others do not. There’s multiple threads on this mod and it usually turns into a group who says it did nothing and a group that says it helped on their car. (Most often both groups have SPL data that confirms their opinion, which hints at correlation.)

unless you know the frequency, SPL is useless on this stuff.

For all you know the highest peek is out of your hearing range. And a lower, more critical, frequency may or may not be changing.

Its extremely difficult to measure this stuff and know what impacts “comfort” to your ears.

SPL meters are good at measuring pink noise or known frequencies. Not an unknown frequency that may change between experiments.

I’m not sure “useless” is accurate.

Perception is reality, but numbers help quantify and possibly explain perception to others over the interwebs.

FWIW I get your point, feel free to ignore any numbers and any of my opinions on the mod I post once installed.

It’s fairly obvious that the placebo effect is either showing heavily here, or the difference between cars is enough that some get benefits others do not. There’s multiple threads on this mod and it usually turns into a group who says it did nothing and a group that says it helped on their car. (Most often both groups have SPL data that confirms their opinion, which hints at correlation.)

I said using an SPL meter, on a phone yet, is nearly useless as a tool to verify how much it improves the quality of noise to your ears.

As for the mod itself, I have done the mod myself, long before BASENOR copied and marked it up.

As others have said, I could very well be experiencing a placebo effect, and my hearing is deteriorating as well. So I apologize if I misled anyone. Maybe it has some effect on the frequencies that I hear most acutely. As for test, the iPhone decibel meters are useless. It would take some very sophisticated equipment to test the effects of these kits. An iPhone app is useless.

As for the poster who questioned my motives, buzz off. If you bothered to check, a sponsor is someone who supports TMC because he or she thinks TMC is a very good service to the Tesla community. I've supported TMC almost from the beginning, when I bought my Model S in 2013.

Last edited:
Yesterday I installed the Basenor Door Seal kit and Quiet Seal kit for the roof glass seams. Took about two hours with a somewhat disabled left arm (shoulder replacement surgery about a month ago). Links to both kits are below.

TBH the Quiet Seal kit is so easy to install you can do it with your penis. You dont need a left arm for that. In fact get rid of your arm I'm sure Elon Musk will be making prosthetics soon enough. You can use your robotic arm to integrate with your car. In fact get rid of your penis too, wait for the Elon Musk penis prosthetic and use it as a key for the car. Omg the possibilities are endless.

I might do a DB test myself once my car gets here. I have both kits sitting in a box waiting for my Model 3.

EDIT: I hope OP isnt a lady :eek:

It seems that some Model 3’s have more wind noise than others, depending on how well the car was assembled. So if you have a car that is very windy these kits may help. If you are one of the lucky ones with tight seals from the factory I don’t think you will see much difference.

Hhmmm.
Do you have a link to any tests done, that indicate varied car assembly quality is linked to wind noise ?
I haven’t read that anywhere here.

I had already installed the sun roof kit, but tried the door seal kit last week. Sadly the door seal kit made 0 difference in noise for me.

The sun roof kit previously was somewhat effective. I used to have a lot of noise at 60MPH. After the sunroof kit install I don’t have any (objectionable) wind noise until around 70-75MPH.

• Informative
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy