Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

basic autopilot: a bit disappointed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had several generations of Tesla AP (currently a 2021+), and with the transition to Vision (my car has inactive radar now), it struggles in stop and go traffic. The main issue is it’s slow to recognize braking several cars ahead and stops too abruptly. Too the point I worry about cars behind me not paying enough attention. So in slow traffic I set follow distance at 6 to provide a buffer if needed, while 3 in faster conditions.

The latest AP does better job of accelerating from a stop when cars start to move, but overall I would say it is jerky in stop and go. At normal speeds and traffic flow it’s much smoother.
That's been my experience as well with my 2019. It can cope with traffic flow that does not actually come to a stop, but if it does, hold on to your coffee and watch your mirror.

AP1 was such a revelation to me that I actually didn't even care so much about getting stuck in traffic (and I hate traffic). It was fantastic and I had great confidence in it. By contrast, current EAP behavior will threaten to extract my last meal if I use it in stop and go. In addition, it often lags behind the leading car so much that cars behind will attempt to overtake as they see me dawdle in my lane. This is with the follow distance set to its lowest value of 2.

Since other automakers have been mentioned, I'll say that my experience with Blue Cruise in the Ford Lightning last summer wasn't much better, though the eye-tracking was never wrong, and disengaging the system by turning the wheel was smooth and natural, not abrupt as all versions of AP are. The Lightning would also ping-pong in its lane and hands free mode turned off frequently. No idea if they've made improvements to it in the past 6 months.

This is exactly what Basic Autopilot is: Traffic Aware Cruise Control with Lane Centering. It is the same in in essence as every other ADAS out there: GM Super Cruise, Ford Blue Cruise, MB Driver Assistance, BMW Driving Assistance Professional, Toyota Safety Sense 3.0, VW Travel Assist, Rivian Highway Assist, Nissan ProPILOT Assist, Honda Sensing, Volvo Pilot Assist, Hyundai Highway Driving Assist, etc.

Tesla differentiates itself from all the others above with Enhanced Autopilot and FSD Capable. Those add semi-autonomous navigation to the core autopilot. FSD Capable has the ability to automatically stop at stop signs and stop lights.
so many people replied…thank you!!!

i love my model y…

but honestly when it comes to this tech stuff…i just assumed tesla was head and shoulders above…the gold standard…

and this aspect is just “ok”…i really don’t see using it that much…

i guess i could spend 6-15k for more…but it was expensive at 55k and i thought it would have a bit more self driving features…

i guess i didn’t do my homework…i just thought it would help with parking or some basic stuff…

like i said…love it but for what i paid they could turn some basic stuff on…

i love my model y…

but honestly when it comes to this tech stuff…i just assumed tesla was head and shoulders above…the gold standard…

i guess i could spend 6-15k for more…but it was expensive at 55k and i thought it would have a bit more self driving features…

i guess i didn’t do my homework…i just thought it would help with parking or some basic stuff…

The gold standard requires paying more gold.

I hardly use AP. I don't like the way it feels like it tracks to the right side of the lane. If it let me adjust my position in the lane it would be far more usable. Since AP is included in the price of the car as a basic feature, and I don't use it because it tracks poorly, I can't imagine spending an extra $6K or even $15K (!!!) on EAP or FSD. Not a chance. I've watch many FSD beta tests and it does seem like a great AI achievement, but I can drive far better. And no I'm not going to turn my car into a robotic Uber.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I hardly use AP. I don't like the way it feels like it tracks to the right side of the lane. If it let me adjust my position in the lane it would be far more usable. Since AP is included in the price of the car as a basic feature, and I don't use it because it tracks poorly, I can't imagine spending an extra $6K or even $15K (!!!) on EAP or FSD. Not a chance. I've watch many FSD beta tests and it does seem like a great AI achievement, but I can drive far better. And no I'm not going to turn my car into a robotic Uber.
The car should stay perfectly centered. It's so centered it's actually annoying for some people when the lane widens due to a merge.

What have you tried so far to adjust the poor performance?

The car should stay perfectly centered. It's so centered it's actually annoying for some people when the lane widens due to a merge.

What have you tried so far to adjust the poor performance?
I can re-calibrate AutoPilot but it will track the same. If I have a car to my right I find my hands on the wheel putting a turning force on the wheel to the left. If I'm in the left lane on the highway I bias the car to the left side of the lane. AP keeps me closer to the cars on the right that I'm passing. I don't like this behavior. It might be different if I'm on a road trip and I'm driving a few hundred miles and can stick to the slow lane (which I hardly ever do) it might be okay, but I don't road trip that much. If AP is like a free advertisement for the $6K Enhanced AP I'm not a buyer. I'd never use it.

AP keeps the car perfectly centered in the lane, but most drivers favor the left side of the lane. We sit on that side of the car (in the US) and that's a natural tendency. I wonder if UK drivers feel that it's biased toward the right?

I'm used to it now and it feels perfectly natural, but I understand. A bias setting would be a nice addition to the AP options screen.

i love my model y…

One poster above probably nailed it... Tesla is the Gold Standard, but they want you to pay more gold for that standard.

When they originally defined the Basic Autopilot feature set, it was the leader. But since then, other carmakers have packaged auto parking and auto lane change in their top tech packages. So now Tesla's packaging is a little out of date. They should pull the Auto Lane Change, Autopark, and Auto Summon down to the base package to be competitive with the market. Then promote the remaining EAP features (Navigate on Autopilot and Smart Summon) up to FSD and abandon the EAP tier.

Reactions: SoCal Buzz

Well remember how the car industry works, well used to work... Car manufacturers keep all kinds of options and features in their back pocket and they slowly dribble them out across their product line and over years and years. All the manufacturers did/do this. I have always complained on my own about it because there has been so much technological advancement but it takes forever for it to get implemented into vehicles. The manufacturers haven't really been competing on a technological level between them and have just been in a status quo situation for a long time and just SLOWLY step advancing at the same pace with each other.

Then Tesla came along and took a lot of these things that the car manufacturers were holding onto and implemented everything all at once. Tesla did this in an unpolished way because they were creating most everything from scratch as a new manufacturer but this caused the other manufacturers to up their timeline on releasing various features.

And now Tesla isn't really ahead much anymore except for OTA capability(which they won't be way ahead for long), and then adding more features(in an unpolished way). I think the reason Tesla can get away with releasing these unpolished features is because people WANT the features, whether they are ready for prime time or not. The other manufacturers can't really get away with this because people expect a certain standard from the other manufacturers. On the other hand with Tesla, people expect and are at this point used to odd behavior and failure modes....and they still want what Tesla is selling.

I can re-calibrate AutoPilot but it will track the same. If I have a car to my right I find my hands on the wheel putting a turning force on the wheel to the left. If I'm in the left lane on the highway I bias the car to the left side of the lane. AP keeps me closer to the cars on the right that I'm passing. I don't like this behavior. It might be different if I'm on a road trip and I'm driving a few hundred miles and can stick to the slow lane (which I hardly ever do) it might be okay, but I don't road trip that much. If AP is like a free advertisement for the $6K Enhanced AP I'm not a buyer. I'd never use it.
Let's check visualization next. When the car is hugging the lane line instead of being centered, check the visualization on screen. Does it show the car centered in the lane, or hugging a lane line?

Please help
Just bought model y
Autopilot doesn't stop at traffic signs and stop signs. Also doesn't stop when a pedestrians walk infront of me .
Correct. Autopilot is just for lane keeping and a fancy cruise control. It is designed primarily for use on highways. The features you're expecting to see are part of the Full Self Driving package. Read the support page to understand the capabilities of Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot and Full Self Driving.