TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Battery care during prolonged body shop stay

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by GasDoc, Jun 3, 2013.

1. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

My car was involved in an accident and the airbags deployed. I'm told that airbag deployment causes a fuse to blow that isolates the main battery from the other systems.

At the time of the accident, I had about 2/3 charge.

If it's going to take a month or two to get parts and get my car up and running again, do I have to be concerned about the main battery? I'm assuming that Vampire drain is zero at this point.

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Not sure but I'd contact Tesla to double check. That's a good thought.

3. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

Surprised that they didn't total it (I guess that Tow Truck driver was wrong?). Perhaps it would be best to contact Tesla! I"m sure many people here, including myself, are interested in knowing.

4. GasDoc

GasDoc Member

Still awaiting the verdict re:totaled or not. It will need to go back to Fremont for new airbags including a new steering column.

5. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

seems like the approach needs to be adjusted for ice vs. ev... total the car, keep the expensive battery, and then reinstall the battery in a new car.