Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Charging routine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a very new owner of a 2019 Tesla 3. The previous owner told me charge when it gets down to about 20% and only to 80%. I have been on several forums and there seems to be a belief by many but not all that it should be charged daily to the 80% limit. I only use it around town so my usage is 30% + or -.
I don't know what to do. Please advise.
Thanks

I am a very new owner of a 2019 Tesla 3. The previous owner told me charge when it gets down to about 20% and only to 80%. I have been on several forums and there seems to be a belief by many but not all that it should be charged daily to the 80% limit. I only use it around town so my usage is 30% + or -.
I don't know what to do. Please advise.
Thanks
If my daily usage was only 30% I’d charge to 50% nightly. From what I’ve read, that’s the best for the battery.

Because of my driving I charge to 80% each night. About twice a month I go to 100% because I need that to get through the following day. When I go to 100% I get a warning that max daily charge should not exceed 80%.

Daily, keep it within the 50-80% range if possible. Although rarely mentioned, I charge my cars at 32 amps because I have the luxury of time-to-charge. No need to stress the hardware more than necessary.

On long road trips, I usually start out at 85% and hit the superchargers at 10% or so.

Treat your battery well, and it will reward you with years of service.

Reactions: LoudMusic
The previous owner told me charge when it gets down to about 20% and only to 80%.

There is no benefit (zero) to "running it down before you charge it back up".

As to the other part of your question.... "how do I take care of my battery?" is probably the number 1 question discussed here (and likely on any other Tesla website). There are probably 10,000 posts on this topic.

If you want a lot of data based information, search for posts here by a user named @AAKEE .

Otherwise, if you search TMC for the terms "Range / Battery", you will probably find a few hundred different threads. I would link some of them here but if I do I will probably be accused of bullying a new member, which isnt the intent, however I also know "search the site there is plenty of info on this discussion here", is only slightly less offensive to some.

From what I have read on here basically Tesla manages the battery very well and really just follow the current instructions.
Charge for daily use up to 80% but don’t be worried about going above that if needed when setting off on longer trips. It seems like you can endlessly agonise over this if you want to but you’ve bought a car not a Ming vase so unless you keep it fully charged or depleted it should be fine.

My 2022 MSLR gets plugged in and charged to 55% right after every trip when the battery is still warm. Even multiple times per day if we go out more than once. It gets plugged in whether 4% or 30% was used. When going out of town to Los Angeles, the car gets charged to 85% and if needed it gets a Super Charger boost before heading back home.

My reading here says many shallow charges to 55% is better for battery longevity than deep charging to 80%.

Like another post said, charge just what you need for the day without discharging fully.

Like the moderator said, search for member AAKEE or do a forum search. You'll find way more than you can digest. I've been reading about battery care here on TMC for more than two years now. Some of the technical stuff is more than I want to digest. So what I've written above is my take.

Last edited:
I charge to 50%, plugging in every time I pull in the driveway... unless I know for sure I'm going to leave again.

Keeping the lower state-of-charge is better for the battery. BUT... the battery management system (BMS) also needs to sample the battery voltage at varying levels, so hitting 100%, 0%, and everything in between can help your BMS know the true range.

it should be charged daily to the 80% limit
No.

55% if it works for you comfortably. Huge difference between 60% and 55%, steepest part of the return curve.

Matters less for your car except for potential longevity of the pack (reduced stresses, theoretically) since capacity loss has mostly occurred already.
I charge my cars at 32 amps
Need over 32A to identify PCS failures in warranty period.

No.

55% if it works for you comfortably. Huge difference between 60% and 55%, steepest part of the return curve.

Matters less for your car except for potential longevity of the pack (reduced stresses, theoretically) since capacity loss has mostly occurred already.

Need over 32A to identify PCS failures in warranty period.
Thank you, good point,
I overlooked that.

I've had zero charging issues from my Gen 3 in 4 years. However my '21 MYLR had a charge port issue 6 months in. No problem replacing under warranty.

Taking care of your battery is easy. Much easier than an ICE car.