Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery conditioning model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question on preconditioning before arriving at a supercharger. While i have only had to use supercharger 2 times with my model 3 long range as i have a wall connector at home, when you route plan the charger into your route, why does it start preconditioning an hour from the destination charger? I have read that it takes between 20 minutes and half an hour to precondition the battery for supercharging, and it ended up taking around 36 miles of the range. Would it be better to route the supercharger destination in half hour before arriving? Any advice would be appreciated.

Tesla mainly focuses on preconditioning as this helps to charge as fast as you could (less time spent on charging) but at the expense of spending more money on charging

Yes, but the energy and cost it is a lot less than might be assumed because the heating is recycled for cabin heating. The system is brilliant. People like OP notice the drop in range during pre-conditioning, but they don't realize that their subsequent most excellent Wh/mile in the winter with the cabin nice and comfortable is using that pre-conditioning energy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0