Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery coolant replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. I’m trying to figure out when going to the service center and ask for a coolant flush, I assume it is for the AC. Does there or is there a need to do a flush for the coolant system for the battery? What is that called and how much it cost?
Here are the service plans and costs, if you compare the 4year and 2year plan then the cost would be around $125

333A7F4F-6E21-4C9F-B6AF-79E7B1FF54BE.jpeg

Reactions: smilepak
Service Center skipped the coolant replacement during the 4 year annual service they were supposed to do it in. They said it's not needed. My car did have low miles (even now it's 42K miles after 6 years), so maybe that is why. I didn't worry too much about it, they warranty the battery for 8 years, so if they say not needed. it's not needed. Heck, Elon said no maintenance at all is required for Tesla warranty to stay in effect.
The owner's manual version 6 says replace the battery coolant at 5 years/65,000 miles. (My manual was version 4 and does not say anything about it.)
I asked about the coolant flush at my local service center; probably 2 or 3 years ago. I was told Tesla does not do them at all any more. What I was told was that they always found the coolant to be "clean" so decided it never needed to be replaced.
I thought I read somewhere that glycol anti-freeze protection doesn't wear out, but that antifreeze has some chemicals to prevent aluminum decay, and that effectiveness does erode. If that's true then I'm a little concerned about their change in policy.

Thanks. I’m trying to figure out when going to the service center and ask for a coolant flush, I assume it is for the AC. Does there or is there a need to do a flush for the coolant system for the battery? What is that called and how much it cost?
Coolant flush is the liquid system, for cooling and heating the battery. (And heating the cabin I think.)
The stuff in the AC system is usually referred to as refrigerant, not coolant. There is no AC system flush.

Reactions: smilepak and ucmndd
Here are the service plans and costs, if you compare the 4year and 2year plan then the cost would be around $125

View attachment 697647
If you just look up "Tesla service schedule" you will get about 17 different results: That is an old one, when one could actually buy a 4 year service plan, when they actually recommended annual service. Emphasizing just so nobody gets confused.

The current owners manual from last year (well 2020 model S, before the 2021 refreshed-refresh) states this: look bottom right for coolant:

Now I am not saying don't do it, it is probably a good thing to do if you plan on having the car for a long time for the reasons that Brass Guy suggests above. (Just like drivetrain/differential/transaxle fluid changes). Tesla talked me out of changing it at year 4 when I wanted to do it, I will probably do it at some point. Most the other brands I know suggest changing long life coolant it at 7-8 years and then every 3 years or so thereafter. Remember all the manufacturer's do not want their cars to last over 10 years because that is not good for business.

Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 9.08.59 AM.png

I just wanted to point out approximate cost of coolant flush with this old service plan description file. Similar result was already posted in this post some comments before. I thought that it is already clear to all that these service plans do not exist any longer. I, myself is also looking to convince Tesla service to perform it on my car. It’s good that you posted that screenshot from new manual, I haven’t looked it up yet...