TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Battery coolant replacement

Discussion in 'Model S' started by apacheguy, May 21, 2016.

1. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

I just had my 5 year 62 K mile annual service earlier this month. I noticed that the owners manual recommends replacement of the battery coolant at this interval:

Battery coolant. Every 5 years or 62,500 miles (100,000 km)
    Source: https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/Model-S-Owners-Manual.pdf

However, my repair order does not mention that any such replacement occurred. Should I raise this with my SvC?

2. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

yes, you should find out what happened. They seem to think this service is important (in my experience)

3. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Please report the response!

4. apacheguy

5. apacheguy

Ok. Turns out the fluids were replaced during last years annual service. Tesla has updated the guidance from what is posted in the owners manual and it is now performed every 48 K miles. While there was no mention of a coolant swap in the line items from last year, I do see ethylene glycol appear under parts replaced. Brake fluid was also replaced, but I am already seeing yellowing which is somewhat concerning.

6. sorka

sorka Active Member

You can't read anything into the color of brake fluid. The only thing that matters is how much moisture has been absorbed and as a byproduct how much copper has entered the brake fluid due to the moisture.

Get the copper strips and a moisture probe. If you're below 1% moisture and 200 ppm of copper, you're fine. Most manufacturers have dropped mileage and time based brake fluid interval recommendations.

• Informative x 1