Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery degradation on the Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We too have some drop off. 1,140 miles and now at 247 miles Rated for 80% SoC. 2+% in 2 months...

No SC, only gone to 100% SoC once early on and was at 315 miles Rated at that point. Changed around our charging times to later in the morning to help the barry warmth when departing for the day, and will try to use the air return more for the HVAC. BecauseTexas. No way we aren’t going to stress the battery some with our need for cooler air in the vehicle...

Will keep tabs on this down trend and hope it flattens over the next few months. Stats app really, really helps with its charts.

ß

We too have some drop off. 1,140 miles and now at 247 miles Rated for 80% SoC. 2+% in 2 months...

No SC, only gone to 100% SoC once early on and was at 315 miles Rated at that point. Changed around our charging times to later in the morning to help the barry warmth when departing for the day, and will try to use the air return more for the HVAC. BecauseTexas. No way we aren’t going to stress the battery some with our need for cooler air in the vehicle...

Will keep tabs on this down trend and hope it flattens over the next few months. Stats app really, really helps with its charts.

ß
Hi! Please just drive it and enjoy it, don't obsess. Your Tesla is not like a Nissan Leaf. Don't worry about using the AC either. You don't have to baby this brand.

Read the post history of the poster who disagreed. Nothing but sour grapes out of that guy. But he made a video and will tell you to buy a gas car! He continues to sow negative discord in every thread that he has the opportunity to possibly get others to agree...

Last edited:
My Y was able to get 252 miles on each charge at 80% limit. After 1400 miles on the car, the battery level dropped to 249 miles per charge At 80%. it’s only 3 miles, but Is it too early for battery degradation?

Your actual battery probably hasn’t degraded. I believe the software makes estimates, being off by 3 miles doesn’t mean anything.

I’m no expert on this topic but there are many posts here that go into detail about how the computer estimates milage. I think if you take the battery down to 20% and then charge to 100% it can ‘reset’ the computer estimate (so to speak). Also if you charge over 85% I believe the battery cells will ‘balance’ their charge amount across the modules more evenly. Again, I am no expert just read a lot of posts on this site.

Just change your setting from milage to percentage and don’t worry about it. Charge to 80% or 90% most of the time and occasionally charge to a 100% (drive immediately after).

Reactions: empiredown