Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery drain after 2022.24.8 Software update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BigNick - This is a refreshed 2022 Model S (March). I have a home charger and usually charge to 80%. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I will share when I learn more about what is going on.
The coolant pump thing was on mostly older 85 and 90 packs IIRC. Your 2022 S shouldn't be affected by this. It could be a glitch with Sentry as norcalbowler94 above me mentioned. Wouldn't be the first update when settings for features got turned off or on.

Since you have an S and this is the 3 forum, you might want to try posting in the Model S forum and see if other owners of new Model S have seen the same issue. As much as Tesla has tried to "homogenize" the software, there are significant hardware differences between the S and the 3 and glitches across models could be significantly different.

Instead of thinking of this as “drain”, could this be some recalibration impacts happening in more real-time? I say this because I experienced the opposite effect. Yesterday I arrived at house with 48% and 3-4 hours later I was at 51%. Never seen that before.

Instead of thinking of this as “drain”, could this be some recalibration impacts happening in more real-time? I say this because I experienced the opposite effect. Yesterday I arrived at house with 48% and 3-4 hours later I was at 51%. Never seen that before.
This is what I was wondering...after one year of ownership I haven’t lost an inch...then all of a sudden I lose 1.5%
It’s a strange place to make an adjustment, right after a drive....but my charging regime hasn’t changed for ages, charge to 55% drive to forty something and recharge...so the BMS is probably in need of recalibration

Mine sort of did the same thing twice. It showed 89 then jumped to 90 and later on it was back to 89. I fired up the ap and it was back to 90 and then a few minutes later back to 89 percent.

The coolant pump thing was on mostly older 85 and 90 packs IIRC. Your 2022 S shouldn't be affected by this. It could be a glitch with Sentry as norcalbowler94 above me mentioned. Wouldn't be the first update when settings for features got turned off or on.

Since you have an S and this is the 3 forum, you might want to try posting in the Model S forum and see if other owners of new Model S have seen the same issue. As much as Tesla has tried to "homogenize" the software, there are significant hardware differences between the S and the 3 and glitches across models could be significantly different.
Just a follow up. I turned off sentry mode and it didn't lose anything for six hours. I turned it back on and it lost 1 percent in two hours. I reported this to the SC and included screenshots showing sentry mode disabled and enabled with timestamps and percentages.

Just a follow up. I turned off sentry mode and it didn't lose anything for six hours. I turned it back on and it lost 1 percent in two hours. I reported this to the SC and included screenshots showing sentry mode disabled and enabled with timestamps and percentages.

The SC reported that my home was not excluded. It was before the update and when I checked home it pointed me to my house. I’ll clear it later and see if that helps.

I didn’t name my car and after 2022.24.6 it defaulted my vin number as the name. When I check the vehicles name it was blank but in my app it had the last six digits of my vin. I added a name and it cleared it.

According to the article linked below, the high pitched humming noise will be fixed in an upcoming software update.

It's not clear if idle battery drain is related or not.

The SC reported that my home was not excluded. It was before the update and when I checked home it pointed me to my house. I’ll clear it later and see if that helps.

I didn’t name my car and after 2022.24.6 it defaulted my vin number as the name. When I check the vehicles name it was blank but in my app it had the last six digits of my vin. I added a name and it cleared it.
It didn't work. There is a still a battery drain. I sent the update via messenger to the SC.

I wish my memory wasn't so bad here, but yes, I *think* it was this recent update to 2022.24.8 that a day or two after I installed it, I remember looking at my car's SOC and thinking, "Wait a second, did it just drop like 4% in a few hours???" I assumed I was crazy and ignored it. I will pay more attention to see if this is really happening to me. (I have received a couple of updates in rapid succession making this more complicated to track in my head.)

I wish my memory wasn't so bad here, but yes, I *think* it was this recent update to 2022.24.8 that a day or two after I installed it, I remember looking at my car's SOC and thinking, "Wait a second, did it just drop like 4% in a few hours???" I assumed I was crazy and ignored it. I will pay more attention to see if this is really happening to me. (I have received a couple of updates in rapid succession making this more complicated to track in my head.)
It’s still happening to me...it charges to it normal level but after a drive it drops 1.5% then levels out...but I haven’t received any new updates

If you park and the SOC inreases it is most probably/most certain coming from a adjustment on the SOC after the car has been sleeping a while. The correct SOC can only be measured during sleep, after a while.
The SOC is determined by the cell voltage.

During a drive the car use the last known SOC and reduce it by subtracting the used energy to estimate the SOC. I
n some cases, like having an underestimate on the battery capacity, the on screen SOC os to low because of the maths from the underestimate.
When parking the car goes to sleep (contactors opens and the battery rests, showing the open circuit voltage, OCV). The cell voltage shows a higher SOC than the estimated and the car update the SOC.
I have seen this often as my BMS is a bit off at the moment.

Loosing SOC after a drive is possibly the same issue.
I see in teslafi that the average range for for all cars has increased about three percent from a very stable level an I feel a bit sceptic that the real range is at that level in average. My guess is that tesla changed the software to estimate higher capacity/range for *some* reason and that the capacity might be overestimated.

This could make some cars loose one or a few perfent after a drive, but only the first hours after the drive and only if it was a longer drive (short drives do not cause a noticeable difference of the estimated and real SOC.

Seems like most cars here continue to loose range, like the car wasn’t sleeping.

I parked (2022.24.6) with 26.00% tursday evening one week ago for two days (44hrs) and took the car with 25.67% on thursday evening.

Also parked with 80% on friday evening until sunday and had 79.63% on sunday.
(Never usually leaves the car at high SOC, but it was outside with very low ambient temps and cell temp between 8.5 and 4C during this time). Felt crazy to leave it at 80% but I survived :oops:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Bouba