Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery drain after 2022.24.8 Software update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. I have a new Tesla Model 3 long range. I just got it in August. So far I've had no problems. However, after the last software update to version 2022.24.8, I noticed that the battery drain when it is parked in the garage seems to be a lot. For instance, before the update, I could go to work and park in the hot Florida sun for 10+ hours and not lose any percent of my battery. I don't use Sentry Mode or Cabin Overheat protection. However, after the new update, I am losing 2-3% in a couple of hours while it is parked in the garage. It also seems like there is a humming sound from the front. It doesn't seem like a fan, but I don't know. I've only had the car a month. I never had a problem with battery drain until now. Has anybody else noticed this? Thanks.

I'll try that to see if it works. This may be a stupid question, but when you power it off, can you exit the car or will that start it up?

Thats actually a really good question, not a stupid one. When you exit the vehicle normally after powering it off, it the act of opening the door will power the car up. This is what I do (after every firmware update actually):

1. Go out to car with my phone key. Open drivers side door.
2. Enter car through drivers side door, and leave the door open (do not close it behind you)
3. execute the power off command (I believe its under service, but if you cant find it let me know and I will verify on my own car)
4. Once screen goes dark from power off command (should be right away) exit car through still open drivers door.
5. Close drivers door (this will not wake car back up) and leave car alone for at least 15 minutes, no checking in the app, etc.

I actually do this process after every firmware update, but at "leave the car alone for at least 15 minutes" I just power it off, and dont power it back on till I am going to use the car again ( few hours later, next day, etc). In your case, you want to make sure the car goes completely to sleep, so power it off and wait for at least 15 minutes, but longer wont hurt.

The car also could be trying to update maps, upload date to tesla etc, which will also keep it awake and look somewhat unexplainable. It could be this, if powering it off and waiting a bit doesnt work.

Thats actually a really good question, not a stupid one. When you exit the vehicle normally after powering it off, it the act of opening the door will power the car up. This is what I do (after every firmware update actually):

1. Go out to car with my phone key. Open drivers side door.
2. Enter car through drivers side door, and leave the door open (do not close it behind you)
3. execute the power off command (I believe its under service, but if you cant find it let me know and I will verify on my own car)
4. Once screen goes dark from power off command (should be right away) exit car through still open drivers door.
5. Close drivers door (this will not wake car back up) and leave car alone for at least 15 minutes, no checking in the app, etc.

I actually do this process after every firmware update, but at "leave the car alone for at least 15 minutes" I just power it off, and dont power it back on till I am going to use the car again ( few hours later, next day, etc). In your case, you want to make sure the car goes completely to sleep, so power it off and wait for at least 15 minutes, but longer wont hurt.

The car also could be trying to update maps, upload date to tesla etc, which will also keep it awake and look somewhat unexplainable. It could be this, if powering it off and waiting a bit doesnt work.
Thanks. I'll try this before bed and charging it for the night.

Reactions: jjrandorin
FWIW, I updated to 2022.24.8 a day ago on my 2022 Model 3. After seeing this thread, I just awakened my car and found it has dropped two percent (from 58% to 56%) over about 12-14 hours. That's unusually high for me (for reference, a week ago I was away on a motorcycle trip and left my Model 3 parked, not driven, for five days... and it lost about 3%)

I don't run Sentry Mode at home. I do run Cabin Overheat Protection, but it was not triggered.

Not to worry. If there's a software bug in 2022.24.8, as it appears there may be, Tesla is almost certainly is already aware of it, and will be working on a fix.

Look into the issues found with the new TPMS detail in the phone app. If you have the latest app updates that expose TPMS data in the app, that (coupled with the recent 2022.24.x/28.x builds) can be the source of the elevated DoD battery drain.

• Informative
Reactions: Steve446
Hello. I have a new Tesla Model 3 long range. I just got it in August. So far I've had no problems. However, after the last software update to version 2022.24.8, I noticed that the battery drain when it is parked in the garage seems to be a lot. For instance, before the update, I could go to work and park in the hot Florida sun for 10+ hours and not lose any percent of my battery. I don't use Sentry Mode or Cabin Overheat protection. However, after the new update, I am losing 2-3% in a couple of hours while it is parked in the garage. It also seems like there is a humming sound from the front. It doesn't seem like a fan, but I don't know. I've only had the car a month. I never had a problem with battery drain until now. Has anybody else noticed this? Thanks.
FWIW, I updated to 2022.24.8 a day ago on my 2022 Model 3. After seeing this thread, I just awakened my car and found it has dropped two percent (from 58% to 56%) over about 12-14 hours. That's unusually high for me (for reference, a week ago I was away on a motorcycle trip and left my Model 3 parked, not driven, for five days... and it lost about 3%)

I don't run Sentry Mode at home. I do run Cabin Overheat Protection, but it was not triggered.

Not to worry. If there's a software bug in 2022.24.8, as it appears there may be, Tesla is almost certainly is already aware of it, and will be working on a fix.
I suggest putting back the overheat protection - you don’t want the display and other parts to overheat - a few percent in really hot weather is normal

I suggest putting back the overheat protection - you don’t want the display and other parts to overheat - a few percent in really hot weather is normal

We have been down this conversation before, but the overheat protection was stated (by tesla itself) to be a feature that was put in for humans and pets, not to "protect electronics". Its not needed in the slightest for that reason

Directly from Elon:

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 1.44.59 PM.png

"babies and pets" not "protect electronics".

Last edited:
My original reason for wanting Cabin Overheat Protection was because the Owner's Manual suggests that when HVAC cooling is triggered, it also cools the battery (under Climate Control Operating Tips: "In addition to cooling the interior, the air conditioning compressor also cools the Battery.")

I find little-to-no evidence of this pack cooling. Probably because ambient temps, even during the peak of summer, don't raise pack temperature enough to trigger it for most of us.

Leaving little people and pets as the ones who benefit from COP.

My original reason for wanting Cabin Overheat Protection was because the Owner's Manual suggests that when HVAC cooling is triggered, it also cools the battery (under Climate Control Operating Tips: "In addition to cooling the interior, the air conditioning compressor also cools the Battery.")

I find little-to-no evidence of this pack cooling. Probably because ambient temps, even during the peak of summer, don't raise pack temperature enough to trigger it for most of us.

Leaving little people and pets as the ones who benefit from COP.

Oh I dont have any issue with people using cabin overheat protection for themselves or anytthing.. The only issue I have is with people trying to insist to others that they need to use it to protect electronics in the car, as if tesla says we need to do that.

Why get into your upscale car at 105 degrees ?
I dont. I turn on pre conditoning like 4-5 minutes before I get into it, no matter where I am, and the car is at temperature when I get to it (and yes it gets hot here, I live inland in southern california, and normal weather around this time of year is over 100 during the day).

I experienced the same thing but it was with 2022.24.5. Then I quickly got .6 and things seemed fine. Now I'm on .8 and it still seems fine. I wonder if .5, and above, initiate a one time test that uses some energy.

Belay this earlier post of mine. I just awakened my car - not driven and not plugged in over the last 24 hours - and it's still at 56%... did not drop any.

It's probably worth reiterating that cabin temp, as reported in the car or via the mobile app, is a "coarse" measurement. Rounded up or down. If you pull the reading off the can bus, directly off the sensor, you'll get a much more precise reading.

As to the OP's loss... I dunno.