Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery drain while parking at Gatwick

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla have got something wrong here. I hear the comments about keeping the battery or cabin conditioned (I am sure rare occurrences here in UK when car parked up, especially in the shade), but the amount of unnecessary energy the car takes when in standby is staggering.

Reminds me of an old audio system that I once owned where the manufacturer used the DSP system use for audio processing to keep watch on the IR control when in standby - 20W of power just to be in standby and respond to IR power on.

Tesla need to improve the lower power modes of whatever they are using now, or come up with a dedicated low powered alternative that deals solely with keeping the car in standby. Even sentry mode can be achieved in far less power than it seems to use at present. The sort of power and energy numbers people are quoting are huge for the trivial tasks it is undertaking whilst parked, even with sentry on. I suspect they are using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Sounds like they need to crack this one some other way.

Reactions: Roy W.
Tesla have got something wrong here...

One of the members of the UK owners FB group explained that power management is extremely difficult to optimise in the S & X (not sure about the 3) because they have a set of interconnected systems each of which can't go into standby states without having a knock-on effect on other systems in the car. This is supposedly a consequence of running out of time when designing the (bespoke, Tesla) computer systems.

I notice in the Model S user guide that older models (like mine) have a manual Energy Saving mode option (I need to double check to see if the option is still there on my car in v9) but it's automatic in newer models. So to be fair to Tesla it appears they have made some incremental improvements. As we saw with the change from Autopilot 1 to 2+, rebuilding from scratch can be a long painful process so I can understand why this is a tricky issue to improve.

Let’s hope they learned some lessons because they have had plenty of time between initial Model S and Model 3 to get things right. It will be unforgivable to make the same mistakes a second time (being generous here allowing Model X to have similar design flaws as it’s loosely based upon Model S) given its a largely fresh design.

Wish I had read through this thread before leaving my M3SR+ at the Charlotte Douglas Airport. Parking Monday morning with 168 mile range in a protected deck, no sun although temperatures did drop into the 40's F. Checking daily I watched a 25-30 mile drop / day. On day two I turned Sentry mode off which did not seem to help much. Returning on mid-day Friday I had 63 miles remaining and was extremely disappointed. I've learned much reading through the trials and tribulations of my peers and must say I'll Uber v. leaving my car in the future.

@woodmountain “Checking daily I watched a 25-30 mile drop / day“

That’s a crazy drop dude.

I recently didn’t use our M3 sr+ for a couple of weeks (parked in our drive, avg temp 15c/60f, no sentry and not plugged in, occasionally checking app) and noticed a 1-2 mile drop per day.

Is it just the colder weather causing such a big daily mileage drop?

Wish I had read through this thread before leaving my M3SR+ at the Charlotte Douglas Airport. Parking Monday morning with 168 mile range in a protected deck, no sun although temperatures did drop into the 40's F. Checking daily I watched a 25-30 mile drop / day. On day two I turned Sentry mode off which did not seem to help much. Returning on mid-day Friday I had 63 miles remaining and was extremely disappointed. I've learned much reading through the trials and tribulations of my peers and must say I'll Uber v. leaving my car in the future.

Sentry mode is a well known heavy drain. However, just checking the car routinely on the app makes a massive difference. I know it's hard to resist but you really must leave it to sleep as each wake up uses a burst of power. My test was to leave my M3 to sleep for 9 days and it lost 6% on the battery read out.

Checking daily I watched a 25-30 mile drop / day

Don't check the car, it will wake it up. Running the computer, waking it up, using sentry mode especially (that's about 2 miles per hour right there) all drains the battery.

Get TeslaFi and check through that if you must (it won't wake the car), but more than anything allow the car to sleep. Don't leave it for weeks with sentry mode.

An idle session (car awake) will use up in 3 hours what a sleep session will use in a day:

Sleep.JPG

Reactions: Obliter8 and Roy W.
The battery drain, even in sleep mode still seems insane to me. I've left my i3 parked for two weeks at an airport and the range was exactly the same when we got back as it was when we left it, doesn't seem to drop at all.

Why can't the M3 just turn off more or less completely, like most other cars? The only thing that needs to be powered up is the entry system, but that's no different to any other car.

Why can't the M3 just turn off more or less completely, like most other cars?

Guessing: so you can command it, remotely, to warm up ready for you.

AFAIK on iPace, if you put it into Sleep, you have to tell it what day/time you want it to wake up, and in the interim you have no ability to ask it to warm up for you.

Musky can’t spy on you anymore.

Musky isn't going to need to spy on a car that is parked up ... and when it gets moving again it will call home to let Musky know its on the move

The i3 can be remotely commanded whilst parked OK. Presumably it manages to "listen" for comms without drawing loads of power.

This makes sense, because my old mobile 'phone (a Nokia) had a battery life of around a month in standby, and that would have been "listening" for a connection the whole time. The battery capacity of that 'phone was something like 0.003 kWh.

Reactions: Roy W.
The i3 can be remotely commanded whilst parked OK. Presumably it manages to "listen" for comms without drawing loads of power.

This makes sense, because my old mobile 'phone (a Nokia) had a battery life of around a month in standby, and that would have been "listening" for a connection the whole time. The battery capacity of that 'phone was something like 0.003 kWh.

Yes, I think they've simply never seriously addressed the issue. The assumption to-date seems to be that the car will be plugged in so it's not a problem.

I can see the vampire power being a significant issue for owners who don't have access to off-street parking, so cannot routinely keep the car plugged in when not in use for days, as well as being a potential issue for those that leave cars at places like airports whilst away, and need the car to have enough charge for them to get home when they return.

I wonder if it's something that can be addressed by a software update?

Be nice to be able to turn everything completely off, except the entry system, with a simple menu selection.

That does look like an obvious solution. Card key only.

It does, doesn't it? It probably wouldn't be a hardship to wait for the car to boot up from cold if turned off like this, either, as the chances are that luggage, etc would be being loaded, anyway, if the car had been parked at an airport or port for a couple of weeks or so. Might also be a tiny security enhancement if the car needed to be woken up by the card when in this mode.

Reactions: MrBadger