Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery drain while parking at Gatwick

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once again i suspect this is all part of getting a working car program out fast and not thinking ahead and then not wanting to change stuff and introduce more bugs while marching forwards with software additions.
The battery management in Tesa has active heating/cooling (whereas rivals generally don't?) so i suspect they have some computer power constantly running rather than just a listen out until it gets to the magic 20% left when it tries to go into deeper hibernation

Is there an equivalent of this (Model-S) option on Model-3 ?

Be very interested to know the answer to this, as it would seem to be exactly the right solution.

The battery management in Tesa has active heating/cooling (whereas rivals generally don't?) so i suspect they have some computer power constantly running rather than just a listen out until it gets to the magic 20% left when it tries to go into deeper hibernation

I believe that the i3 has a similar liquid-based battery heating/cooling system, yet that doesn't seem to cause any vampire load. I know that the battery temperature conditioning system on the i3 comes on when the vehicle pre-conditioning comes on, either using a programmed departure time, switching it on via the app or from anything logged into Connected Drive, or by using the remote if a custom button has been programmed to turn on pre-conditioning.

I found the following on TeslaTap wrt Model 3 battery conditioning

So probably not going to happen for much of the UK, then. The coldest temperature we've ever seen here was about -9°C for an hour or so late one night a few years ago, probably not long enough to drop the battery internal temperature down as low as -7.5°C, I suspect. Even with global warming I think the UK is unlikely to get to 48°C within the lifetime of the car. I think the highest temperature recorded around here was about 36°C.

Full sun inside a car might exceed that?

Definitely possible, I think, but I doubt that the battery, being underneath the car, would get much of that heat.

I can remember leaving a load of cassette tapes on the dash on a Renault that I'd parked in the sun, many years ago, and coming back to find that the outer cases had badly melted. I think they would have been polystyrene, which softens at around 80° to 100°C.

Is there an equivalent of this (Model-S) option on Model-3 ?

1163_p16_l.jpg
About the Power Off, on the Model 3 the 12 V turns itself off after one minute or so when the car locks itself after closing the door and walking away.

You can also turn off the Summon (from the Autopilot menu) to save power, and also you can stop Sentry when at home or at work.

I just kept my Model 3 unplugged for a full week in my garage while traveling.

I wanted to evaluate the drain losses and also there was some possible power outages because of wildfires.

I left with 90% charge and it was at 87% when I came back, so only 3% losses in 7 days.

I didn't checked remotely my car for the full week, so the car must have been sleeping all the time.

The temperature in Northern California at this time of the year varies from 70 F (20 C) to 50 F (10 C) at night.

Note: I have a 2018/10 Model 3 LR AWD and I'm on 2019.32.12.2

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ajp558 and rotor2k
Now that the car temperature is <10C the car is using 2.5-3.5 miles when not being driven last month it was more like 1.5-2.5m this has been the constant figure as I've tested this on multiple days of not driving. I would think if the car was charged to 100% you'd have no problem leaving it for at least 3 months+ in typical UK weather.

Based on Teslafi data if you leave the car whilst in sleep mode it hardly uses any energy but the car will wake up on its own after around 24hrs of sleep for anything up to 4hrs for whatever reason this is for 100% sure, most people won't know this as if you use your car this often decreases the amount of time that the car stays awake for. So if your car is not sleeping straight away don't worry about it as it should sort itself in under 4 hours.

During this time of up to 4hrs that the car is awake the car uses the most energy usually up to 1 mile per hour, what it does during this window is anyones guess but could be maintenance or something similar, but I notice it stays longer awake in the colder weather.

Here are the key things to do to reduce drain:
-Turn Sentry off
-Don't use the app as the car may not sleep straight away and use more energy
-Power Off the car from the menu

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Don't use the app as the car may not sleep straight away and use more energy

Good info:) Just to add:

There is a benefit to using TeslaFi for occasional checks. Unlike the APP it doesn't communicate with the car, so a quick check won't wake the car. All you will get is the "latest available info" ... but that may be good enough to check that all is well (use Help: Raw Data Feed to see when that info was last harvested as distinct from all loggings when the car was "asleep")

Good info:) Just to add:

There is a benefit to using TeslaFi for occasional checks. Unlike the APP it doesn't communicate with the car, so a quick check won't wake the car. All you will get is the "latest available info" ... but that may be good enough to check that all is well (use Help: Raw Data Feed to see when that info was last harvested as distinct from all loggings when the car was "asleep")

yes you can also use teslafi to see if the car is awake and then use the app if it is doing one of it’s awake cycles which would negate any extra power usage

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I found the following on TeslaTap wrt Model 3 battery conditioning. So based on that, at current temps, we would appear to be within a normal operating window when stationary.

However, those numbers are the ones for active heating/cooling while driving. Numbers for charging will be different (higher min), and limits for burning battery power while parked are probably even lower (if indeed it does this at all - I've not seen evidence one way or the other).

I parked my M3 LR in Luton AP for 10 days (Sentry mode off).
Didn't use the App, came back to only about 10-20 miles of range gone for the 10 days.

One thing that I did do was I use the Tezlab App, which has is Deep Sleep Assist which is said to help get the M3 into Deep SLeep Mode sooner.
(Didn't actively use the App, the app just did this)

Though to be honest I'm looking forward to the day that you can leave your car on a 1-3kW charger at the airport and it'll trickly charge to you then fill you up in time for your return trip (I'm aware that a couple of Long Stay companies offer that, would only use them after recommendations)

One this was disconcerting was I got a "<car name> has disconnected daily from the official Tesla App which for a while suggested it kept waking up?