Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Drained 30% overnight..Big Flaw, Easy Fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right. Ideally, the apps (third-party or default Tesla app) should not do query the car to get information. Instead, as you suggested, the car should publish events when it happens.
For example, Nest thermostat does that. When you manually change the temperate on a nest thermostat, is publishes this event to Firebase (it's a real-time database owned by Google). This causes all the clients who have subscribed to such events to be notified. This is very simple to implement and Tesla can literally use Firebase to do it and I hope some day they do.

That's the same thing that all of my Insteon ( home automation) products do. They publish everything to Insteon servers making it a LOT easier for programmers an the like to develop the Insteon app.

Phantom drain also occurs when the car is asleep. Any battery loses some charge even when it is unplugged completely. The loss due to turning on the modem in the car and transmitting a few packets is really virtually zero compared to the size of the car battery. These modems are designed for mobile phones and are extremely efficient (I used to work for a major mobile chip manufacturer).

Indeed. GSM phantom drain is what I would consider no phantom drain. Its so miniscule that.....

Anyway. I currently work for a/the major Tesla carrier network on this very project. I don't think I have to say the name of my company...as for security reasons...I can't.

Anywhoo...we are currently painstakingly working through the Tesla to 5G fiasco of a marriage - in attempts to keep power consumption/usage to a bare minimum. Its a challenge, however we are making great progress so far.

I valet parked at the airport two weeks ago when I left for a trip. The valet left the trunk open. I couldn't lock the car and was unlocked for four days yet car went to sleep and only lost 2% over the four days I was traveling.

Yeah...that's about right. The OP has something else going on causing massive fandom drain.

Maybe his car is sleep walking at night. LOL

• Funny
Reactions: TT97
That's the same thing that all of my Insteon ( home automation) products do. They publish everything to Insteon servers making it a LOT easier for programmers an the like to develop the Insteon app.
Interesting you mentioned Insteon.
I'm using Insteon all over the house as well and I've written an app to do geofencing for my Insteon devices (e.g., open garage door when I get close to home -- I won't mention the name of my app because some moderators don't like developers to plug their apps). Their event-base state update does not work reliably (if ever) and I have to query the state. I contacted them and they seem to be aware of the problem.

• Informative
Reactions: Garlan Garner
Interesting you mentioned Insteon.
I'm using Insteon all over the house as well and I've written an app to do geofencing for my Insteon devices (e.g., open garage door when I get close to home -- I won't mention the name of my app because some moderators don't like developers to plug their apps). Their event-base state update does not work reliably (if ever) and I have to query the state. I contacted them and they seem to be aware of the problem.

I don't have an issue with my Insteon device status updates at all. Its instant and flawless on my end so far ( so far = a long time ). I started off with x10 devices. Those were a nightmare.

Anywhoo…..your posts are very informative. Thanks.

Reactions: f8K37Sq31
Back to the problem OP raised. Here's my current solution: I use the 'walk-away door lock' with confirmation sound on. This way, my M3 won't make the beep sound if there's any door or trunk not properly closed. I just need to hear the beep before I truly walk away from my M3. Search the text 'walk-away' in your manual for detail.

I agree that it would be nice if the Tesla app could notify you if you are away from the car for a period of time with any door/trunk left open.

Back to the problem OP raised. Here's my current solution: I use the 'walk-away door lock' with confirmation sound on. This way, my M3 won't make the beep sound if there's any door or trunk not properly closed. I just need to hear the beep before I truly walk away from my M3. Search the text 'walk-away' in your manual for detail.

I agree that it would be nice if the Tesla app could notify you if you are away from the car for a period of time with any door/trunk left open.
Same here. I always listen for the beep as well. But that one time I forget, would be a nice feature to get a notification.

Same here. I always listen for the beep as well. But that one time I forget, would be a nice feature to get a notification.
I also find the "door/trunk/frunk open" notification useful when my car is in the service center because it indicates that they have actually started working on my car. Of course, this works only if they don't disable the mobile connectivity.

Reactions: BobAbooey
For everyday use I like to charge to 80% them drive down to 20% before I plug in my wall connector....
I have read here a happy TESLA is a plugged in TESLA. Maybe I will just keep her plugged in at home now.

Leaving it plugged in at all times is also what Tesla recommends to do.

Zo8VD59.png

https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/Model 3 Owners Manual.pdf#page=124

Lol..Best explanation so far.

Hmmm, time to have a chat with the boyz. I did go to bed before them...

On the other forum there were a couple others that had left a door ajar that also prevented the car from going to sleep.

I'm now wondering if the car behaves differently if the rear doors are ajar vs the fronts? I have to test this.

I personally don't lock the car in my garage and don't like the alarm on off horn sound.

I will now pay more attention to the doors, make sure I plug in nightly and charge to 80%, chexk out the app mentioned above and hope for a native notification feature.

Oh, and also hide the spare key from the boys.

Last edited: