Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Fuse Replacement 2016 Model S 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my car back today. The service advisor told me that there was a recent software update that sent out false alerts. He said they checked my vin and it was on the list of cars that received the false code. He said the technician inspected the fuse and it was in good condition so no replacement needed. No charge for the diagnosis since it was Tesla's error on the false alert. Attached is my invoice. I'm happy everything was fine.

However, it is a bit annoying that the result was what I suspected all along and I had been asking them to check their system before I brought the car in. Maybe they are just not set up to research the issue until they have the vehicle...I don't know. What they told me doesn't exactly match what was written on the invoice. At least I have peace of mind the car won't have this issue again.

Please note my situation is a abnormal because my HV battery was replaced earlier this year.

If you are getting this alert, I would recommend you have Tesla check it out as it is a safety concern.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230726-141226_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20230726-141226_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 248
These prices seem inexplicably all over the map. Why does @ChaseMe pay $434.50 and @supratachophobia pay $268.50 when both are seemingly in Ohio (and paying similar hourly service rates) and both have version 2.0 batteries in their 2017 and 2016 cars?

From the posts on this thread, there is a large variability in what people are being charged for this service.

Has anyone recently had this done for a version 1.0/1.5 battery (generally 2012/2013 cars)?
This is exactly one of the questions I'm bringing up in my Friday call.

The service advisor told me that there was a recent software update that sent out false alerts.
What update? My 2016 MCU1 car got last update early in the spring and I the fuse alert appeared just last week, I think there in Tesla is still something not right. If it was wrong message sent from their servers then why not to communicate it with the clients? Now each and everyone have to bend over backwards to get any answer.

What update? My 2016 MCU1 car got last update early in the spring and I the fuse alert appeared just last week, I think there in Tesla is still something not right. If it was wrong message sent from their servers then why not to communicate it with the clients? Now each and everyone have to bend over backwards to get any answer.
It is 100% a message sent out from their servers. Not a typical software update. What's going to happen to all the people that paid the $500 for a fuse replacement they don't need? After more research I am 100% certain my 2015 P85D MS with a new 2023 90KW battery has the updated fuse. The old fuse type that all the 400v packs (original P85D pack) had is not compatible with the 350v packs currently being used. Yet, I still have the message. Still have not scheduled service as I know the fuse is fine.

If the fuse fails, it requires a <$500 repair.
If a cell, module, BMS, or internal connection fails, it requires a >$10,000 repair. That is what the warranty is for and why it exists separately from the regular vehicle warranty.
The contacters are also in warranty. Why? The ventilation plugs in the HV battery are also replaced under warranty. Why not the HV fuse?

I don't fully trust what the advisor told me was accurate. I got an update notice and installed 2023.20.9 right after I got the car back from the SC yesterday. Before that, I think the last update was at least 2 weeks before I got the alert.

Last week, my Google Discover feed showed me this article and that's how I found this thread and started asking questions.
Tesla Telling Owners To Replace the Battery Pack's Pyro Fuse via BMS_u031 Warning

It is 100% a message sent out from their servers. Not a typical software update. What's going to happen to all the people that paid the $500 for a fuse replacement they don't need? After more research I am 100% certain my 2015 P85D MS with a new 2023 90KW battery has the updated fuse. The old fuse type that all the 400v packs (original P85D pack) had is not compatible with the 350v packs currently being used. Yet, I still have the message. Still have not scheduled service as I know the fuse is fine.
I agree with you. Your situation is very similar to mine so I think your car is fine. But what happens if the car is in an accident and the fuse fails for some other reason and then Tesla denies liability and says the car gave you a warning that you ignored?

I tried to get them to research the alert before my appointment but they wouldn't. It was annoying to waste a couple of hours dropping off and picking up the car but at least they confirmed that my car has the self powered fuse (see invoice notes attached in previous message). That morning, I even asked the service advisor, "how can the 90KW battery use the same fuse as the 75KW pack?" But he said it's the same fuse and it's separate from the battery. I don't know enough about electrical components to dispute what he said. But his statements didn't make sense so I believe what was written on the invoice notes over what the advisor told me.

This false alert issue is worrisome. Tesla should follow up with all the owners who received the alert and offer to inspect the fuse at no charge. Especially since it's affecting vehicles out of warranty.

Reactions: KalJoMoS
That morning, I even asked the service advisor, "how can the 90KW battery use the same fuse as the 75KW pack?" But he said it's the same fuse and it's separate from the battery.
All the 1.0/1.5/2.0 packs use a 2000A fuse. Its a last resort failsafe, not a '20% over expected current' curcuit breaker. The only interfaces to the pack are the two mounting holes and that stayed consistent.

These prices seem inexplicably all over the map. Why does @ChaseMe pay $434.50 and @supratachophobia pay $268.50 when both are seemingly in Ohio (and paying similar hourly service rates) and both have version 2.0 batteries in their 2017 and 2016 cars?

From the posts on this thread, there is a large variability in what people are being charged for this service.

Has anyone recently had this done for a version 1.0/1.5 battery (generally 2012/2013 cars)?
Just got off the phone with service center after getting a quote in the $270 range with service center telling me they misquoted. Now they realize they need to drop the battery on my 2015 85D and it will cost ~$700. They did offer to reduce the labor 50% on the up charge, but final cost is still double the original estimate. And the dash warning was no longer on the screen this week, mysteriously went away after last couple of weeks.

Other pain point was making an appointment at 10AM for service that showed 1 hour labor and getting a message at 5 PM that the night shift will complete the work by 10 AM next day. Not Impressed…

Just got off the phone with Tesla and reporting back. If you receive this error and the fuse needs replaced. You should be receiving one of two costs:
  • If your fuse is on top, expect about $550. There is a labor charge to drop the battery to access the fuse. Sorry, that's just how it is unfortunately.
  • If your fuse is on the bottom, expect about $250. But there was confusion on the actual make up of that $250, rough numbers show 1 hour in labor and $75 for parts OR $175 for part and 1/2 hour of labor. Not sure why different service centers would break it up different, but the cost is the same. Caveat, your hourly shop rate may differ from other people's so expect a slight variation.
**If you are getting numbers drastically different from what I outlined above, DM me so I can report it and hopefully resolve**

Side notes:
Warranty question. I brought up TPMS and they responded with key fob battery not being covered. There was mentioned that TPMS battery is a grey area and if they could go back, they probably wouldn't include that in a warranty repair. But that's such a low occurrence, it's not worth having a policy for.

Communication. They mentioned this is a great opportunity to improve internally. The costs estimates shouldn't have been all over the place and the error message could stand to have more details when you click on the error message for more info. Something to the effect of "service will determine if your vehicle needs this part replaced, here is what it is and what it does."

Just got off the phone with service center after getting a quote in the $270 range with service center telling me they misquoted. Now they realize they need to drop the battery on my 2015 85D and it will cost ~$700. They did offer to reduce the labor 50% on the up charge, but final cost is still double the original estimate. And the dash warning was no longer on the screen this week, mysteriously went away after last couple of weeks.

Other pain point was making an appointment at 10AM for service that showed 1 hour labor and getting a message at 5 PM that the night shift will complete the work by 10 AM next day. Not Impressed…
The not funny, but not amusing thing about the battery drop is that it's a 2-person, 1.5 hour charge roughly, so 2-3 billable hours. But remember that video where they are touting battery swap and they do 2 cars in, like, 8min? Makes you wonder how many techs they had underneath working on it.

Reactions: pilotSteve
All the 1.0/1.5/2.0 packs use a 2000A fuse. Its a last resort failsafe, not a '20% over expected current' curcuit breaker. The only interfaces to the pack are the two mounting holes and that stayed consistent.
The video i posted earlier, clearly shows 75kW fuse triggers at smaller voltage drop than 100kW...
The physical metal fuse is the same but electronics inside set for different thresholds, which makes sense to me.

Finally got the time to swap out the old pyro fuse to the updated version. . Everything works and the error code is gone with the simple replacement part and having evfixme in Orange County to reconfigure the car to the new fuse. Side by side of old vs new fuse. Took about a hour to start to finish. Can be swapped out at home and have them do the reconfiguration but if you live locally near them…you can have them do everything. Part number that I used was 1111445-00-f but they also carry them in stock.

Attachments

• IMG_1243.jpeg
    IMG_1243.jpeg
    440.3 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Finally got the time to swap out the old pyro fuse to the updated version. . Everything works and the error code is gone with the simple replacement part and having evfixme in Orange County to reconfigure the car to the new fuse. Side by side of old car new. Took about a hour to start to finish. Can be swapped out at home and have them do the reconfiguration . Part number that I used was 1111445-00-f but they also carry them in stock.
Wow great work! What was the total cost of doing this at home?