Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMS_u031 Battery fuse requires replacement soon OK to drive - Schedule service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this a fuse we can replace ourselves or does it have to be through tesla service? Is it the Pyro fuse based on the code above. I am out of warrantee and the alarm just came up 2 weeks ago. $450 cost from what I can see so not a killer but since I am out of warrantee I am mechanically and electronically inclined and could take care of the simpler items where possible. Thoughts?

Is this a fuse we can replace ourselves or does it have to be through tesla service? Is it the Pyro fuse based on the code above. I am out of warrantee and the alarm just came up 2 weeks ago. $450 cost from what I can see so not a killer but since I am out of warrantee I am mechanically and electronically inclined and could take care of the simpler items where possible. Thoughts?

Upvote 0
I have a late 2015 Model S P90DL with 68000 miles. Also interested in upgrading the battery pack as my range is maxxed at 236 miles per full charge and depletion allows for 180 miles during the winter months. Any ideas on cost and who does the battery upgrades?
Most of your questions are answered in the middle section of these FAQs I compiled for my BMS_u029/018 Facebook Group. https://tinyurl.com/bdzxksyb

Either Tesla or @Recell . Or local CT Auto, detailed in post #6 below.

Tesla has both reman and new replacement packs with 4 yr/50k mile warranty. I personally went with a new (not reman) pack from Tesla.

Although Recell is located in TX, they will pay for shipping to them but you have to get it home. No sales tax for out of state owners and 1-2 day turnaround once they get the car. Recell includes 6-12 month warranty (I've forgotten exactly) but offers a 2 yr/25k warranty for around $2500.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
$10k USD - That seems to be the current market rate for an 85 kWh used/reman/salvage replacement pack that gives the owner a rated range of around 240 miles. Just the pack. Any applicable labor, taxes, and warranty (explained below) are extra.

$10k includes Tesla, 3rd party professionals and salvage yards. Tesla bundles in a 4 year/50k mile warranty while others offer warranties at an extra cost. Each year of warranty seems to range from $1250-$1500/year. e.g. Tesla's basic $15k=$10k pack + (4) x $1250 warranty. Of course, Tesla does not break things down like this, but based on 3rd party warranty fees, a reasonable comparison.

So your decision around that magic $10k number for a 85 kWh used/reman/salvage replacement pack revolves around warranty and convenience of location/time.

Lastly, Tesla is the only one providing new (not reman) replacement packs. $18k base plus tax, labor, etc for around $21k total. Comes with 4yr/50k mile warranty. This is only option (unless you get a 1-2 year old salvage replacement pack) that will give you the original rated range and slightly faster super charging speeds.

Upvote 0
We were told the fuse has a limited lifetime and the system reports replacement needed when the time runs out.
Being physical devices it is unpredictable when it will fail, so the timing mechanism is a bit conservative.
Schedule service as soon as convenient.

Upvote 0