Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got battery fuse requires replacement soon message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a 2016 Model S. Got the 'battery fuse requires replacement soon' message today.

I saw there are a few threads discussing this issue. But wasnt sure what the outcome is. Do I need to create a service request with Tesla to get this fixed? Can anyone please advice what the cost would be and do I have to get this fixed by Tesla or can I take it somewhere else?

How long does fixing this take? Do you have to give you car for the entire day or is it just an hour or so?
Better late than never. If you saw the other thread’s then why not to read them? It all depends of you car battery, is it older version or newer. Older means they need to unmount it to reach for the fuse location and this rises the labor hours. If it’s newer, then the fuse can be reached without that extra work, the cover for it is in plain sight. Tesla also change their offence and are now including this to the mentioned 8y warranty. You can continue to drive, it does not affect it in any way. And if one had recent service for heater or other two high voltage items, then the changed fuse for them is not the HV battery fuse.

Has anyone tried getting reimbursed for a fuse replacement before they started covering it? I paid about $450 in August 2023 because it wasn’t covered and now as of October 2023 apparently it is so I feel like I should be reimbursed…

Attachments

• IMG_4001.jpeg
    IMG_4001.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 132
Pretty sure it’s on an 8 year expiration countdown that alerts 6 months prior. Does it coincide with your manufacture date’s 8 year anniversary? Mine did.
I just had battery fuse replaced in on my mid-June 2015 MS 90D. The active aletrs BMS_u031 "Battery fuse require replacement soon" first appeared in my car on Dec 17, 2023. Back when I ordered the car in 2016, Tesla actually provided email updates for when VIN was assigned, the car entered into production, when it was released for shipping, etc.

Want to take a guess on the date they provided for when my car went into production??? Yep, June 17, 2016. Exactly 7 years and 6 months to the day from when my active fault first showed up. Sure seems to fit the hypothesis that it's totally time based and tied to the manufacture date, not the date when battery warranty started/ends.

Pretty sure it’s on an 8 year expiration countdown that alerts 6 months prior. Does it coincide with your manufacture date’s 8 year anniversary? Mine did.

I'm confident there are two scenarios - one is a timer countdown that was set in a recent version of firmware, the other is the car somehow 'figuring' how many fingers are left on the old fuse. I got a warning to replace mine in early november, but couldn't get it in for service until last week. The day before my appointment, I got about 10 errors at once about insufficient power from the HV system, cannot start, etc. I had to warm up the car in the garage to get it to turn on. I sort of suspect that combining just a few 'fingers' left and near freezing temps (maybe bothering the battery on the fuse?) threw the errors because everything went back to normal with the new fuse.

PSA: HV BATTERY PYRO FUSE 2.0 REIMBURSEMENT

I wanted to share a positive experience I had with customer service and a PSA that pyro fuses should be covered under the 8 year battery warranty when they previously were not. If you have paid for a HV Pyro Fuse 2.0 replacement you should be reimbursed automatically and if not then reach out to CS. Saved me $444!

I have a 2016 MX P90D. If i am not wrong these old style “2.0” pyro fuses were only good for 8 years and alert that they will be expiring 6 months prior. My DOM was February 2016 so my alert popped up August 2023.
IMG_4001.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3999.jpeg
    IMG_3999.jpeg
    281.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4248.png
    IMG_4248.png
    472 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4249.png
    IMG_4249.png
    521.2 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: KalJoMoS