Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Fuse Replacement 2016 Model S 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@teedee - This is amazing!

The service advisor, the way I read it, implies (incorrectly IMO) that they used your old fuse off your old battery and installed it on your new pack that you received earlier this year.

Even though my HV battery was replaced earlier this year, he said they wouldn't have changed the fuse.

But then in the invoice provided to you by the same service center (post#161), they are clearly (and correctly IMO) documenting the fuse installed on your new replacement pack "is an updated self powered fuse and no replacement is needed".

1690752882791.png

🤦‍♂️

Reactions: GSP
@teedee - This is amazing!

The service advisor, the way I read it, implies (incorrectly IMO) that they used your old fuse off your old battery and installed it on your new pack that you received earlier this year.

But then in the invoice provided to you by the same service center (post#161), they are clearly (and correctly IMO) documenting the fuse installed on your new replacement pack "is an updated self powered fuse and no replacement is needed".

View attachment 960939

🤦‍♂️
I read is as they would not have checked if the fuse on the replacement pack was self powered and updated it during pack installation.

I read is as they would not have checked if the fuse on the replacement pack was self powered and updated it during pack installation.

That might be, but note that he was trying to justify the charges for an updated fuse (the context of the conversation) and saying "The fuse is separate from the HV battery":

The fuse is separate from the HV battery.

To me that implies he was trying to say they just changed the "battery" but not his old fuse and that your old fuse needs updating.

But, I do see your POV as well.

That might be, but note that he was trying to justify the charges for an updated fuse (the context of the conversation) and saying "The fuse is separate from the HV battery":

To me that implies he was trying to say they just changed the "battery" but not his old fuse and that your old fuse needs updating.

But, I do see your POV as well.
I parsed it as independent data points.
Fuse not part of pack (for warranty purposed).
Fuse not changed during pack replacement (but the fuse the vehicle has is different because it came
with the pack).

Could go either way. 🤷‍♂️

@Droschke I interpreted it the same way as you. I think the service advisor simply didn't know which fuse was in my car and was just trying to assert that the service was out of warranty. I felt like he had enough technical knowledge to sound credible but I don't think he was familiar with the fuse issue at the time. This was when I dropped off the car so no one had looked at it yet. Once they completed the inspection, the advisor called and told me the good news and there was no charge since it was their fault I got the false alert.

I do believe the written notes on the invoice since it is very specific. Do you guys know if the technician writes the notes or is it the same advisor? Seems to be different people from my experience.

Reactions: Droschke
Do you guys know if the technician writes the notes or is it the same advisor? Seems to be different people from my experience.

I believe the tech writes it but the service advisor can modify it to fit the corporate guideline if necessary. They also use templates since the wordings on different service invoices have the same structures.

Either way, this episode seems to be self-induced confusion on their side. I've the same 90kWh/350v pack as yours but never saw this alert. It might have showed up at one time if I drove the car at the time when the alert was present and only that I did not drive the car during that time and then the software update had fixed it when I drove the car. Who knows. One thing I'm certain of is that the battery that you and I have came with the updated fuse on it installed.

Reactions: teedee
@Droschke I interpreted it the same way as you. I think the service advisor simply didn't know which fuse was in my car and was just trying to assert that the service was out of warranty. I felt like he had enough technical knowledge to sound credible but I don't think he was familiar with the fuse issue at the time. This was when I dropped off the car so no one had looked at it yet. Once they completed the inspection, the advisor called and told me the good news and there was no charge since it was their fault I got the false alert.

I do believe the written notes on the invoice since it is very specific. Do you guys know if the technician writes the notes or is it the same advisor? Seems to be different people from my experience.
Techs are required to document their "narrative" they call it. Basically what they did and if necessary, how they got there.

Reactions: teedee
The alert is on IC as well, if you receive it. Mine was there for two days in a row.

View attachment 961055

Thanks. There is also one attached to the 12v battery. I saw the mobile tech who was replacing my 12v reaching out to it to disconnect it before the 12v swap.

there's pyro for 12v which will kill contactors n disconnect HV

@brainhouston - Do you know if the 12v fuse is also a Pyro type? Does it have battery or is it an entirely different fuse?

I believe the tech writes it but the service advisor can modify it to fit the corporate guideline if necessary. They also use templates since the wordings on different service invoices have the same structures.

Either way, this episode seems to be self-induced confusion on their side. I've the same 90kWh/350v pack as yours but never saw this alert. It might have showed up at one time if I drove the car at the time when the alert was present and only that I did not drive the car during that time and then the software update had fixed it when I drove the car. Who knows. One thing I'm certain of is that the battery that you and I have came with the updated fuse on it installed.
I received the message as well and continued driving it for about a week on software version 2022.8.10.11. Received a software update to 2022.8.10.12. After the update completed the error message went away.

I received the message as well and continued driving it for about a week on software version 2022.8.10.11. Received a software update to 2022.8.10.12. After the update completed the error message went away.

Thanks for the feedback. So, more and more it appears the whole thing was a software glitch. I wonder if the alert has been cleared for all impacted cars.

The fuse was 50 dollars but you still have to have evfixme or someone that can go into the computer to reconfigure to the new fuse.
Greetings from Ireland. :) Been lurking around and watching this thread with great interest as I've had this warning pop up last week on my 2017 Model S 90D (2016 build facelift car with the newer pack and the fuse under the battery pack). I've contacted Tesla and had the same experience as a lot of others on here, fuse is not part of the battery pack and therefore not covered under warranty, blah blah, pay up.

They've come back with a quote of €368.54. I've argued the point and highlighted that if the fuse goes then the car will be undriveable so therefore the part IS crucial to the continued, safe working of the car and therefore a critical component of the pack and should be covered under warranty......or the very least - goodwill. Especially since Tesla knew when installing the fuse that it had a finite lifespan. Currently waiting on a reply - Not hopeful given the responses detailed on here.

My question to you is this.. if I purchase the fuse online as you have and install it myself, am I correct in understanding that I can grant remote vehicle access to this company you've used, "evfixme",to complete the software side off things or am I misunderstanding?

Thanks to all for the excellent information and for any clarification on the above.

Mick.

Funny thing is I have had quite some trouble to get contact with service. Initially, after the alert pop-up my app had some trouble to set-up the appointment and I mailed directly to the service contact (that what the service is always using if they have some additional data/documents for me). It was no luck for one week so I sent new request on the app and this time it did got through. And surprisingly it’s still in status being reviewed. No progress at all…
And for the @mkmg question, I think the configuration needs Toolbox direct connection with the car, not sure this can be done online.

View attachment 930628
UPDATE: Tesla ended up covering it under the battery warranty.
Thank you so much for this. Tesla is charging me $509.45, said the replacement would take all day, and also refused to provide a loaner car because they say I’m out of warranty. Though I’m in warranty for the battery, they are telling me that the fuse is external to it and not included in that warranty. I will have to take this to the BBB as their manager is refusing to cover this. I’m stuck here for 8 hours.

They used to have such good customer service too. I’m definitely a bit disenchanted with Tesla.

Attachments

• IMG_6538.jpeg
    IMG_6538.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_6539.jpeg
    IMG_6539.jpeg
    261.5 KB · Views: 100