Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Fuse Replacement 2016 Model S 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the warning light for a couple weeks and the car is driving fine. Read this entire thread. I noted Jason Hughes' assessment that the vehicle power will slowly decline to prevent a catastrophic failure, but I'm not that concerned-- it sounds like the timespan is about a year. However, I'm concerned about the above post with video that's saying the car can't Supercharge if the fuse needs replacement-- can anybody else confirm this? I'm about 150 mi away from the nearest service center in Chico CA so I could make it (June 2016 Model S refresh 90D) but I prefer going down to San Francisco (~300 mi, with hills) to enjoy the weekend if I need service... Anybody else fail to Supercharge while the alert was active? I can test in Eureka I suppose...

However, I'm concerned about the above post with video that's saying the car can't Supercharge if the fuse needs replacement-- can anybody else confirm this? I'm about 150 mi away from the nearest service center in Chico CA so I could make it (June 2016 Model S refresh 90D) but I prefer going down to San Francisco (~300 mi, with hills) to enjoy the weekend if I need service... Anybody else fail to Supercharge while the alert was active? I can test in Eureka I suppose...
That sounds wrong. The Supercharger's whole purpose is to control current flow and it has multiple fuse/ current limiying elements that are a lot lower value than the packs.

Reactions: bb95570
Just to continue adding my experience: I have a service appt schedule for a couple weeks from now at the Van Ness service center in San Francisco. The estimate is $0.00/covered under warranty (my 8 yr battery/drive unit warranty expires this June). I'm driving the vehicle 300 mi to get there. I cannot detect any difference in the way the vehicle drives at this time, though I am keeping my foot out of the accelerator consciously. I'll confirm when all done, but it looks like you can keep driving for at least 6 weeks/hundreds of miles without a problem before getting this fixed, hopefully for free.

I bumped into this topic and read most part of it, because this morning I received the BMS_u031 warning IMMEDIATELY after a factory reset. Reason for the factory reset is that I have sold our 2013 model S and just wanted to clear our personal data. Sawing the warning annoyed me obviously since the buyer checked the car last week and is assuming it will receive the car in the same state without additional new warnings. Sawing the warning the first thing popped my mind was that I had to go through a costly service repair before I can handover the car

I went into service mode and into the HV battery and saw indeed the warning popped up in the drawing of the HV battery and the small square representing the fuse was coloured orange.
Now the absolute strange thing is that after a while and I believe I also did a restart/reset using the 2 thumb buttons, the warning dissapeared as active message. It is still listed as message under "earlier today" but not active.
I have also read (maybe elsewhere) people reported the message after a software update or something similair.
Could it be the factory reset made the car shortly go crazy?
It also showed the incorrect time and GPS location was in US (while I am in EMEA) but that corrected quickly after I drove for a while.

I bumped into this topic and read most part of it, because this morning I received the BMS_u031 warning IMMEDIATELY after a factory reset. Reason for the factory reset is that I have sold our 2013 model S and just wanted to clear our personal data. Sawing the warning annoyed me obviously since the buyer checked the car last week and is assuming it will receive the car in the same state without additional new warnings. Sawing the warning the first thing popped my mind was that I had to go through a costly service repair before I can handover the car

I went into service mode and into the HV battery and saw indeed the warning popped up in the drawing of the HV battery and the small square representing the fuse was coloured orange.
Now the absolute strange thing is that after a while and I believe I also did a restart/reset using the 2 thumb buttons, the warning dissapeared as active message. It is still listed as message under "earlier today" but not active.
I have also read (maybe elsewhere) people reported the message after a software update or something similair.
Could it be the factory reset made the car shortly go crazy?
It also showed the incorrect time and GPS location was in US (while I am in EMEA) but that corrected quickly after I drove for a while.
The reset may have deleted a Tesla update to the vehicle's fuse status. After inital network connection, that corrected itself.
An original 2013 pack should have a mechanical/ thermal sand fuse, not a battery powered one.

sounds like misinformation stop by the shop and talk in person. I had mine done for about $675 as I am out of warranty, The original pyro fuse has a 10 year battery and after 10 years they replace it as a precaution with a newer upgraded version that does not require replacement. I think it will run fine for up to a year then go into Limp mode forcing you to fix it.

The reset may have deleted a Tesla update to the vehicle's fuse status. After inital network connection, that corrected itself.
An original 2013 pack should have a mechanical/ thermal sand fuse, not a battery powered one.
Not sure if it has been mentioned, but toolbox 3 only has flags for battery and self-powered (new/current) fuse types. The sand fuse isn't an option. In the service manual, it reads if the tech finds a sand fuse to leave it in place. When I looked at mine, my sand fuse was flagged as 'self-powered' so when I put in the current, and actually self-powered fuse, I didn't have to change any settings in toolbox. Last summer, I did get the fuse warning on the dash but I ignored it for a few weeks while reading up on the situation and it went away on its own.

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but toolbox 3 only has flags for battery and self-powered (new/current) fuse types. The sand fuse isn't an option. In the service manual, it reads if the tech finds a sand fuse to leave it in place. When I looked at mine, my sand fuse was flagged as 'self-powered' so when I put in the current, and actually self-powered fuse, I didn't have to change any settings in toolbox. Last summer, I did get the fuse warning on the dash but I ignored it for a few weeks while reading up on the situation and it went away on its own.
Which car model year do you have?

Just received update from the SeC, they stated that Tesla had internal system failure and all car’s were pointed out with the warning. Also they reported that if the car will show the warning (hopefully now actual one!) you have then half a year to get it changed.

View attachment 967043

Here is a short update. My car is now out of the warranty and prior to that I asked the service to look into this false alert and all. I got a reply from the service manager stating the reason the warning was removed was that the car has sand type fuse. All right, mine is 70D, not the fastest one out there but is it really so that they installed that type of fuse on 2016/03 battery which is v2. as far as I can tell?

I just got the warning today. I haven't driven the car yet--I saw it when I went out to connect the charger. My SC tends to be particularly un-responsive, so regardless of what this costs (if anything)--it's going to be a pain. My Model S was manufactured in Dec 2016, so it's 7yrs 3mos old right now.