Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Fuse Replacement 2016 Model S 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hand done Yesterday at Northampton, UK - All good. Nice and easy and under the battery warranty - Whilst it said under an hour on the invoice, it took about 2 for my 2017 100D (flap underneath) - Spoke to the tech and he said he was the only one contactor trained at that SC, so it's not something all techs can do!

Reactions: David Harvey
Does anyone know a TESLA customer care email to seek €400 refund! Just got my pyro fuse replaced and the SC in Athens Greece did not know that is under warranty the pyro fuse change and had to pay €398.20. If anyone knows where I can complain to seek refund it will be highly appreciated!

Attachments

• Tesla Service Invoice_encrypted_GR231023.pdf
    513.3 KB · Views: 119
Does anyone know a TESLA customer care email to seek €400 refund! Just got my pyro fuse replaced and the SC in Athens Greece did not know that is under warranty the pyro fuse change and had to pay €398.20. If anyone knows where I can complain to seek refund it will be highly appreciated!
Don’t know any but I’m interested in getting a contact if you managed to find something.
Got my 2016 90D to my local service center in Lausanne, Switzerland for the pyro fuse repair. They did not charge me anything for it as it was covered under the battery warranty. The car had no issues at all before that repair, however, after the repair, autopilot and TACC were not functional, radar and camera would not work and the TPMS sensors reported as faulty. When I complained about it that evening, they ran remote diagnostics and sent an estimate for 2.2k to fix the various issues!
Somehow the autopilot, TACC, radar and camera managed to work again on their own, but now a new issue appeared out of nowhere with the glovebox not opening at all… I have a SC appointment tomorrow morning and they told me that since I didn’t accept the estimate they would still charge for the investigative work at a rate of CHF 210/hour, and when I called to complain saying I will not pay anything since my car was perfectly fine before dropping it to the SC, they told me and I kid you not: « if you’re unhappy then you should resell your car »
Overall extremely unhappy with this experience. This is a relatively new SC and it was my first (and last time) there. I am 99% sure the SC appointment tomorrow will go bad considering their track record so far, so if you have any contact for customer care I’d be grateful if you could share it.

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
What did the estimate say?
Replacement of front radar + camera + the man hours. They initially sent a message saying that these issues are unrelated to the replacement of the pyro fuse so it wouldn’t be covered, but I don’t believe that such a huge coincidence is just a councidence...
I just checked and they have changed the estimate which now just includes the remote diagnosis they did for CHF 360 (which again is outrageous to me). I cannot believe such a poor quality service from Tesla. I’ve always had good experience in the past but this SC is to be avoided at all costs.

Replacement of front radar + camera + the man hours. They initially sent a message saying that these issues are unrelated to the replacement of the pyro fuse so it wouldn’t be covered, but I don’t believe that such a huge coincidence is just a councidence...
I just checked and they have changed the estimate which now just includes the remote diagnosis they did for CHF 360 (which again is outrageous to me). I cannot believe such a poor quality service from Tesla. I’ve always had good experience in the past but this SC is to be avoided at all costs.
It might be related to the power cycling required to replace the fuse. The car is never off otherwise. Don't know that I could blame it on the fuse replacement... but I also don't believe that both those parts plus TPMS simultaneously failed even with a power cycle. Sounds more like a computer or controller problem.

Don’t know any but I’m interested in getting a contact if you managed to find something.
Got my 2016 90D to my local service center in Lausanne, Switzerland for the pyro fuse repair. They did not charge me anything for it as it was covered under the battery warranty. The car had no issues at all before that repair, however, after the repair, autopilot and TACC were not functional, radar and camera would not work and the TPMS sensors reported as faulty. When I complained about it that evening, they ran remote diagnostics and sent an estimate for 2.2k to fix the various issues!
Somehow the autopilot, TACC, radar and camera managed to work again on their own, but now a new issue appeared out of nowhere with the glovebox not opening at all… I have a SC appointment tomorrow morning and they told me that since I didn’t accept the estimate they would still charge for the investigative work at a rate of CHF 210/hour, and when I called to complain saying I will not pay anything since my car was perfectly fine before dropping it to the SC, they told me and I kid you not: « if you’re unhappy then you should resell your car »
Overall extremely unhappy with this experience. This is a relatively new SC and it was my first (and last time) there. I am 99% sure the SC appointment tomorrow will go bad considering their track record so far, so if you have any contact for customer care I’d be grateful if you could share it.
Never found an official service center email to complain but via the app I managed to somehow raise the pyro fuse concern (that I had paid for it) with a SC in California, who in turn referred my complain to H/Q Netherlands and in turn they informed me that soon the Athens Greece SC would update me. Original service was on a Friday. Note from H/Q received their message midday Saturday and Monday morning had another message (all messages in the app of course) from Athens GR SC that credit note had already been issued (the same amount I paid) and that within 7 days my credit card will be credited back with the amount I paid them on Friday. I must say it was a very swift turnaround and truly was not expecting such a quick response. Moreover, on Friday that my car was in for the pyro fuse change as I took it on emergency basis since the very early of the SC opening time (official at 9:30am I was there from 9:15am) the person who collected my MS's car key came around at the waiting area (worked remotely that day and took my laptop along) around 13:00 to announce me that they were finished with the pyro fuse change and as soon as the mechanic would bring it back from the test drive they would call me to collect it. That same person came back to me around 13:30 to tell me to be a little more patient with them as the test drive failed (they had error messages however I was not disclosed which ones) and that they were trying to clear them. One more thing to point out, that they were looking at my car in a meticulous way as I had warned them (prior agreeing to bring it as early as possible that Friday on emergency basis - without appointment) that I had a long trip back to my residence in North Italy (some 3500Km) the following day and they have agreed to take it.....they did not want to let me drive back to Italy with the pyro fuse warning message on. I must also point out, that same Athens Greece SC, did a service to my car about 2 years ago and when I received it back the sliding compartment in the front (where 2 cupholders are at the bottom inside) failed to stay open.....though I had driven away some 2kms, I return back and point it out to them and immediately accepted via their mechanic that he did something and that they had ordered the part and "presto" after 3 weeks I got a service invite and replaced all on goodwill (not even labour)! I have had serviced my refresh 2016 MS 75 across many European countries....In Malmo Sweden back in 2019 when driving from the north Sweden car brought many alarms and that supercharging was not possible. Malmo SC kept my car for 2 and 1/2 months and I had a brand new 2019 MS 75D on loan from AVIS that TESLA Sweden was paying from the beginning as my car was in warranty. I had remote service coming to my house in Finland and changed for free the supercharging little door as it was failing to stay close....magnet issue and actually was given the new type that I managed to upgrade later for a small fee to have the CCS adapter. Also the Padova Italy SC did a warranty work with paint failure - formation of rust - by the latch inside area.....only drawback was that they needed the car for 2 days and was given and ICE golf! Anyhow still, as it was on goodwill warranty paint-job fix still they gave me a free car no complain really. In case it created confusion (due to my business, I have changed residence many times the past 15 years....from Belgium to Greece to Saudi Arabia, to Finland and nowadays in Italy). Even my MS was exported to Saudi Arabia, upon my return to Europe my MS warranty was still valid! All the best of luck with the Swiss SC.

I just had the fuse replaced on my 2016 Model X P90D. Initial appointment was created for ranger service but was changed the day before to the closest service center. Took it in at 1:45p and got a Model 3 loaner since "these repairs can take a while". Got the car back same day at 4:30p. No charge for the service.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
If your battery is V1 (2012-2016.).. need to drop battery - 3hrs rate vary
battery v2 (2016.5 - 2020 ) pyro its locate on passenger side bottom .5 hr rate
service manual; replace pyro fuse are easy, disconnect 12v battery and change pyro fuse
but need toolbox to enter service mode plus to write new fuse.

Image 4.png
Image 1.png
Image 2.png

This is puzzling to me. I got the 'replace fuse' warning on my dash in July like LOTS of people and I expected my 2015 pack to have the battery powered fuse that does need to be replaced. The warning went away on its own several days after it appeared so I didn't think about it much since. When I had the pack down to fix the BMB boards, I found I had the original sand/wire fuse version instead of the one with the battery prompting the notice. I upgraded to the current generation just to be sure I wouldn't face the alert/nag again.

When I was in toolbox yesterday clearing an error in my pack, I went to the fuse type and found that it was already set to the current pack-powered fuse. Reading Tesla's service documents, I noticed that if the car has the sand fuse, it doesn't need to be upgraded. Toolbox didn't have an option for that original fuse. I'm puzzled why I got the alert if the car was already showing the current version and puzzled why it showed the current version when it really has the oldest/original version that the service papers say can be left installed.

Part of the reason for upgrading is that I've read the original fuses can blow on heavy acceleration. I don't launch regularly, but I do like to hear the occasional passenger squeal and I don't want to hear a pop and coast to the side of the road and have the squeal turn to laughing at the car. Reading through this thread, there isn't much mention of the original fuse. Was it a good move to upgrade? I guess I'll have it for a spare.

This is puzzling to me. I got the 'replace fuse' warning on my dash in July like LOTS of people and I expected my 2015 pack to have the battery powered fuse that does need to be replaced. The warning went away on its own several days after it appeared so I didn't think about it much since. When I had the pack down to fix the BMB boards, I found I had the original sand/wire fuse version instead of the one with the battery prompting the notice. I upgraded to the current generation just to be sure I wouldn't face the alert/nag again.

When I was in toolbox yesterday clearing an error in my pack, I went to the fuse type and found that it was already set to the current pack-powered fuse. Reading Tesla's service documents, I noticed that if the car has the sand fuse, it doesn't need to be upgraded. Toolbox didn't have an option for that original fuse. I'm puzzled why I got the alert if the car was already showing the current version and puzzled why it showed the current version when it really has the oldest/original version that the service papers say can be left installed.

Part of the reason for upgrading is that I've read the original fuses can blow on heavy acceleration. I don't launch regularly, but I do like to hear the occasional passenger squeal and I don't want to hear a pop and coast to the side of the road and have the squeal turn to laughing at the car. Reading through this thread, there isn't much mention of the original fuse. Was it a good move to upgrade? I guess I'll have it for a spare.
Possible scenario:
There was no sand fuse setting and your car was set as a battery powered fuse.
Everybody's timers started going off, including yours
Tesla realized some packs either had the wrong fuse type or born-on date and updated their database and the vehicle configurations remotely to the 'correct' value
Since they didn't bother adding sand-fuse, they updated those to self-powered to permanently supress the timer/warning.
So, by the time you checked, it didn't say battery powered, but it like was set to that originally.

Do you have a P or L version vehicle? I think those were harder on fuses, but it's dependent on part variation. Replacing was likely a good idea.

Reactions: brkaus