Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery getting less range overtime when charging at the same level

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2023 Model Y. It used to have a range of 297 miles when charged up to 90%. I few months ago, it drop to 280 miles, and today, it drops further to 277 miles at 90% charge. Does anybody have similar issue? Any suggestions as to what I should do about it?

Thank you very much!

It's normal for two reasons: 1- our batteries do degrade, more initially and then it slows down. Part of your displayed loss is degradation. 2- The BMS can only estimate the actual capacity, you can help it using the tips described in multiple other threads. This second part is just the displayed range being imperfect, it has no relation to the actual capacity or "range" of the battery.

I have a 2023 Model Y. It used to have a range of 297 miles when charged up to 90%. I few months ago, it drop to 280 miles, and today, it drops further to 277 miles at 90% charge. Does anybody have similar issue? Any suggestions as to what I should do about it?

Thank you very much!
What was the temperature when it showed 297 miles at 90% SOC and what was the temperature today?
My suggestion is to solve the climate change problem so we have a year round 70 degrees.

• Funny
Reactions: jcanoe

Thank you very much!
That is only a 6.7% drop in range. Some (up to 3%) of the missing range may be due to the Tesla Model Y accounting for the seasonal temperature drop. If you compare your consumption (Wh/mile) in September to now mid-October and further into fall you will find that it has increased as the Climate Control system is using more energy to warm the passenger cabin.

Another way to observe this increase in energy used is to view the charging stats in the Tesla app. If you commute/drive the same route and distance most days then the number of kWh used over a 30 day period would remain fairly constant (except for longer trips). You can scroll back through the previous 12 months of the charging history and observe the number of kWh charged over a 31 day period varies with the seasons.

My Long Range Model Y's charging history for September 2022 to January of 2023:

September '22: 127 kWh
October ' 22: 170 kWh
November '22: 172 kWh
December '22: 181 kWh
January '23: 212 kWh

These were periods when I did not take any longer trips. My daily driving is consistent, predictable. Consumption, based on the charging stats, jumped significantly in October and again in January as the weather cooled, with January being the coldest month in the DC Metro Area.

It is always worthwhile to occasionally charge to 100% and let the BMS have some time to check the cells - this often corrects the predicted miles.

I have had my most recent S for a year but only done one long run in that time. I recently had two trips where I charged to 100% in preparation. Before my 100% charge had dropped from 405 to ‘only’ 392. After the recent charges it is back to 404, which is great.

Thank you very much!
I have a 2023 Long Range Y that got 360 miles round trip on recent trip from Alameda, Ca to Ft. Bragg, Ca on 90% charge. Most was major highway at a bit over 65mph, some was winding two lane road with 25mph turns and 50mph hour straightaways. Outside temperature was 60 degrees.

Thank you very much!
You can charge to 55% or below to minimize degradation due to calendar aging. But if you have been charging to 90% since new then the lost capacity will not be regained. There’s a chance the BMS might be miscalibrated and you’ll gain a few miles back on the display once you calibrate it.

My 2022 Model 3 LR with 12k miles still shows full 358 mi at 100%. I only charge to 50% daily since I only use 10-15% on my commute, but will charge higher as needed for longer trips.

Reactions: AAKEE
In an attempt to convey more accurate information concerning the battery Tesla now automatically adjusts (lowers) the displayed battery state of charge / range in colder temperatures; lower by up to -3%.
It may display a lower % overall but the % to mile ratio does not change with conditions.

So if 90% = 280 miles in warm weather, 90% = 280 miles in cold weather. But it may display 87% in cold when there battery charge is 90%.

It may display a lower % overall but the % to mile ratio does not change with conditions.

So if 90% = 280 miles in warm weather, 90% = 280 miles in cold weather. But it may display 87% in cold when there battery charge is 90%.
I think you will find that in cold weather, after charging to ~90% and displaying an estimated range of 280 miles that the next morning, in colder temperatures, when you are ready to drive the battery state of charge (SOC) may indicate 87% and the range will be lower by 3% too, i.e. 272 miles instead of 280 miles. I only display the SOC so I have not verified the displayed range after parking overnight in colder temperatures.

The cold tax is real, i.e. the battery SOC display can show 3% less after parking overnight in cold temperatures (No Sentry mode or anything else that would account for the lower estimate.)

If the battery SOC drops by 3%, overnight, with the estimated range staying the same, then the estimated efficiency (Wh/mi) would have improved by 3%. Cold Temperatures = Improved Efficiency; Not.)

I think you will find that in cold weather, after charging to ~90% and displaying an estimated range of 280 miles that the next morning, in colder temperatures, when you are ready to drive the battery state of charge (SOC) may indicate 87% and the range will be lower by 3% too, i.e. 272 miles instead of 280 miles. I only display the SOC so I have not verified the displayed range after parking overnight in colder temperatures.

The cold tax is real, i.e. the battery SOC display can show 3% less after parking overnight in cold temperatures (No Sentry mode or anything else that would account for the lower estimate.)

If the battery SOC drops by 3%, overnight, with the estimated range staying the same, then the estimated efficiency (Wh/mi) would have improved by 3%. Cold Temperatures = Improved Efficiency; Not.)
That’s not what I’m saying at all.

If the display shows 87% then of course it would display a lower mileage corresponding to 87%. But if it shows 90% then the mileage at 90% will still be the same whether it’s hot or cold.

The displayed % and ratio to mileage do not vary depending on temperature. If it shows 90%, it will always show 280 miles for example no matter what the temp is. If it shows 87% the corresponding miles will also lower to ~271 miles, no matter what the temp is.

That’s not what I’m saying at all.

If the display shows 87% then of course it would display a lower mileage corresponding to 87%. But if it shows 90% then the mileage at 90% will still be the same whether it’s hot or cold.

The displayed % and ratio to mileage do not vary depending on temperature. If it shows 90%, it will always show 280 miles for example no matter what the temp is. If it shows 87% the corresponding miles will also lower to ~271 miles, no matter what the temp is.
All I am stating is that when I park my Model Y overnight in colder temperatures, after having charged, that in the A.M. I frequently observe a drop of 3% in the state of charge when normally the SOC will remain the same as when parked until I next drive.

All I am stating is that when I park my Model Y overnight in colder temperatures, after having charged, that in the A.M. I frequently observe a drop of 3% in the state of charge when normally the SOC will remain the same as when parked until I next drive.
Yes. I’m not disputing that. I notice that as well.

I’m saying whatever the SOC % is displayed, the mileage displayed will always be the equivalent % and that does not vary with temperature. If it displays 100%=330, then 90%=297, 50%=165 and 10%=33, etc etc.

The other poster was suggesting the mileage number is decreasing due to temperature even if it was displaying 90% each time, which is incorrect.

Last edited:
I can envision internal Tesla discussions with Marketing being for not lowering the displayed SOC in cold temperatures and Engineering stating that the SOC should lowered by Xx% in cold temperatures. 3% is probably a compromise on these two positions.