Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery health tracking SS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the issues with your early responses here which I disagreed with was that you keep on conflating Battery University with @AAKEE's info. It's not the same information at all.

I don't know everything, of course, and sometimes I'm wrong. It's good to have corrections to any information I post that may be wrong.
Yes great for mentioning that. If one looks at posts in this thread and about 20 other threads slides are cropped that are used for reference. One I don't trust people that do such things. Data is only as good as who creates or harvests it. Those charts aren't @AAKEE 's , but cropped from battery university presentations. How does one go and defend what you say isn't being used, and you and others say is old?

I am all for bench testing, but those ways are no good to me. His inputs are great, but he is using old data, and his massaged data.

So I again have said my piece, but saying what your issue was, I feel I needed to respond. Also apologies to all on the run on sentences and such. I was driving through the Dakota's, and only could do voice to text.

• Disagree
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Am I the only one who sees hypocrisy in these comments?

Do you care a lot about your range?
Do you track your range?
Do you worry about your range?

If the answer is yes, then that's the point

Tesla built the car to drive and not worry about the battery. All these armchair quarterbacks are scaring the crap out of people.

Sure, the batteries degrade slightly, it's nothing to really worry about.
Sure, by taking meticulous care of the battery, you may be able to extend it's life. But is it 1 day or 1 year? From everything that I've seen, it's more like a day.

Reactions: outdoors
Yes great for mentioning that. If one looks at posts in this thread and about 20 other threads slides are cropped that are used for reference. One I don't trust people that do such things. because data is only as good as who creates or harvests it. Those charts aren't @AAKEE 's , but cropped from battery university presentations. How does one go and defend what you say isn't being used, and you and others say is old?
No, I do not take anyting from battery university at all. Zip, none.

This as I, while thinking the battery university per principle is a good idea, there are way to much information that is not correct there.

I only refer to data and pictures from research reports. The sources I use have always (well almost always) been thoroughly read, questioned and rated by myself to be good enough for use.

I often use data from Peter Keils research, for example this one: ( a reaaly good read)
Research report (yes it is written in English).

Or this one:
Research report
Or this one:
Research report

This,
IMG_2969.jpeg

And this:
IMG_2968.jpeg

Comes from a research taking model S cells from a almost new model S and storing and cycling them:
This report

I have put references into very many posts before but it kind of makes the posts long, amd it takes a lot of time finding the correct link again.
I have probably already linked to all the research reports at least ten times so I did stop to use links.

In total it is more than 150 or 200 research reports thouroghly red, and perhaps 150 that show mostly the same things. In general the other 50 or so also does but the setup can be hiding facts, or the setup caused the researchers to draw faulty conclusions.
My favorite is the guys that found that LFP would last >100 years if you charged them to full. (The problem was a decision to “decide” that the curve that should fit three datapoints had to be a U curve…..wrong!!!
They did not even use a forth datapoint to checkup that the ”U assumption” was correct.
Taking the data from this test and putting it into the calendar aging charts i ”always post” makes a 100% perfect fit.
(I have posts here about that also since before)

That's ridiculous. It's a club forum! This is that niche place where people who really care about the details come to ask those kinds of questions. It's not the general public. I don't talk about these things with people out in the world, because they don't care that much and aren't asking those kinds of detailed questions.
Yes it is a club forum. Many seem to be focused on the way I say things. Chuckle all you want. Maybe look at the content. You know and ask around outside your circle of experts. Most will answer the way I have for general public. You are free to think otherwise. I actually talk to strangers. I listen, not just hear what I want to hear as a Tesla owner for a crap ton of miles. Approach business owners asking for charging with monetary help on install seeing the push back. I am sure you do the same. I didn't really read all your trivial wordy responses, but again my point is proven.

Most if not all questions from potential buyers is not battery health. Its convivence. Confuse the buyer they don't engage. 22% by 2025 can't really be achievable if consumers balk. Haven't we seen Business Insider junk from this place before?

Yet everyone is getting good at searches, and this and other threads are the pretty popular.

The NICHE you say is a little more than that, and if you call convenience detailed, well I can't help you. You are all suggesting to trade convenience for some gain in the future you can't quantify.

Would be nice if one had more then 50% if they had to out run a hurricane, grid disruption, or some other natural disaster, but those are outliers.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
Do you care a lot about your range?
Do you track your range?
Do you worry about your range?

If the answer is yes, then that's the point

Tesla built the car to drive and not worry about the battery. All these armchair quarterbacks are scaring the crap out of people.

Sure, the batteries degrade slightly, it's nothing to really worry about.
Sure, by taking meticulous care of the battery, you may be able to extend it's life. But is it 1 day or 1 year? From everything that I've seen, it's more like a day.
You can of course just use the car.
Charge to 80 or 90% any day. Just like per the manual.
The battery will survive the warranty period in moste cases but you will have the double degradation compared to one that use the low SOC strategy.

You yet have to post a picture of the energy graph, to show your degradation black on white.
I still say that your battery cannot escape the laws of physics and chemistry, because of this it IS degraded about as per my calculation earlier.

I didnt find much info anout your model S.
(probably is in a post but couldnt find it).

What model (P85D etc) and year, and what range do you see on screen at 100% now?
There is a selection on earlier model s for displayed range, it need to be the correct setting to see the EPA equivalent range (Rated range).

View attachment 971523
2012 data? Come on man.

No, I do not take anyting from battery university at all. Zip, none.

This as I, while thinking the battery university per principle is a good idea, there are way to much information that is not correct there.

This,
View attachment 971728

And this:

Comes from a research taking model S cells from a almost new model S and storing and cycling them:
This report

How can this be? Charging to 100% results in less degradation than charging to 80%.

I have no idea why some of the many (many many many many many many many many many maaaaaaannnnnnyyyy) "range / battery" threads blow up, while others dont, but that happens, and here we are.

I will remind people that we do allow disagreements, but do not allow personal attacks. Most regulars know this, but just in case, I am publicly reminding everyone (as If I feel a need to take action based on something in this thread, I will know that I have already issued two different public notifications).

Debate the subject, sure. Disagree with each other? Sure. Be rude or nasty to each other? No. There are other websites that care less about that kind of interaction than TMC does, so if that is desired, I would suggest seeking those type of websites out.

I have no idea why some of the many (many many many many many many many many many maaaaaaannnnnnyyyy) "range / battery" threads blow up, while others dont, but that happens, and here we are.

I will remind people that we do allow disagreements, but do not allow personal attacks. Most regulars know this, but just in case, I am publicly reminding everyone (as If I feel a need to take action based on something in this thread, I will know that I have already issued two different public notifications).

Debate the subject, sure. Disagree with each other? Sure. Be rude or nasty to each other? No. There are other websites that care less about that kind of interaction than TMC does, so if that is desired, I would suggest seeking those type of websites out.

A) You have those that agree with Tesla, then you have the "experts" that don't
B) Most of the other threads blow up as well, with either the energy discussion, or more commonly FSD. Even though the subject isn't about them.

Yes it is a club forum. Many seem to be focused on the way I say things. Chuckle all you want. Maybe look at the content. You know and ask around outside your circle of experts. Most will answer the way I have for general public. You are free to think otherwise. I actually talk to strangers. I listen, not just hear what I want to hear as a Tesla owner for a crap ton of miles. Approach business owners asking for charging with monetary help on install seeing the push back. I am sure you do the same. I didn't really read all your trivial wordy responses, but again my point is proven.

Most if not all questions from potential buyers is not battery health. Its convivence. Confuse the buyer they don't engage. 22% by 2025 can't really be achievable if consumers balk. Haven't we seen Business Insider junk from this place before?

Yet everyone is getting good at searches, and this and other threads are the pretty popular.

The NICHE you say is a little more than that, and if you call convenience detailed, well I can't help you. You are all suggesting to trade convenience for some gain in the future you can't quantify.

Would be nice if one had more then 50% if they had to out run a hurricane, grid disruption, or some other natural disaster, but those are outliers.
My guess is, first owners not carrying much about batteries with todays chemistry, will make second/third hand users experience possibly horrible. And it will make the second hand EV market worse. Like this guy, who probably didn't care much, has now car with battery which needs replacement after 150k miles. I'm curious, how would his battery hold using low SOC daily charging strategy. Reddit - Dive into anything

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: msinfo
It still has the Panna 82kWh according to the EPA tests on dis.epa.gov
I havent heard or checked if the range is changed for MYLR.

The 333 vs 358 miles indicate a bigger difference than 82.1 vs 78.8.

Mathematically it should be about 343-344 miles with the LG.

The 4680 in MY has quite low energy density despite 4680 should be up there.
I think Tesla changed to NMC in that pack.
Is it possibly a inhouse NMC 2170?

There was someone producing these in Germany for the tff-forum.de, but they was often a little wrong in some way.
Remember, this came from the salesman when I picked up my model three long range on Monday but he said it was a LG 78.1 battery. Does that help with anything?

Utter hogwash. This is exactly what I am talking about. Broad statements like this make a potential buyer go. What?
It it true.

This statement is supported by very many research reports.

This is my now sold M3P after 66K km.
I had about 17-20% supercharging and about 35 full charges, still way better than the average of the same car.
The dip in the middle was the BMS loosing track of the capacity. I did a 100-0% drive at the lowest dip which proved 79kWh capacity.
There are many many more cars in the teslafi data, but the setting for this pict only covered 5 other.
Changing to all 400 cars did not change the average line.
So, my last two full charge was 490km and 492km, out of 507 km
The average cars
IMG_3526.jpeg

How can this be? Charging to 100% results in less degradation than charging to 80%.
There is more than one calendar aging test that show the highest calendar aging happens around 80%. The reason is also given in a few of them, above 80% the self discharge in the cells are quite high, but from 80% and below the self discharge is low. I havent digged into the exact chemical details (I have tried to stay outside that box, and focused mainly on what happens, not why) but what they say is that the self discharge stream of current reduces the calendar aging.
More or less all research show signs of that the calendar aging can be higher at 80% than at 100%. At elevated temperatures (40C and more) the worst calendar aging often is at 100%.

While It could be good to know that 100% not always is worse than 80% the takeaway is that high SOC, thats above the ”step” cused by the central graphite peak (google that or look for my posts here about that) cause about the same degradation.

Also, that 100% is not at all as bad as the forum myths say, in most cases 100% is about the same as 80-90% in terms of calendar aging.
Theres often no need to leave the battery with 100% for a longer time, like overnight or so…but if needed by asny reason the battery will not take damage from it.

IMG_1205.jpeg

Remember, this came from the salesman when I picked up my model three long range on Monday but he said it was a LG 78.1 battery. Does that help with anything?
For the known LG batteries, there is only a LG NMC of 74.5kWh and the new LG NCMA with 78.8.
Salesmen at Tesla have not been fed with battery capacity information etc. Some know, but most have rumors as information.

I would call the new battery 76.3kWh from a simple range vs capacity difference. I guess the Model 3 didnt gfet reduced efficiency.

Reactions: Rocky_H and KenBlub
My guess is, first owners not carrying much about batteries with todays chemistry, will make second/third hand users experience possibly horrible. And it will make the second hand EV market worse. Like this guy, who probably didn't care much, has now car with battery which needs replacement after 150k miles. I'm curious, how would his battery hold using low SOC daily charging strategy. Reddit - Dive into anything

And that doesn't happen with ICE resales?

But look at the numbers, are we talking about 25% degradation if you don't pamper the battery? Looking at @AAKEE last graph, it's only about 25 miles. (<10%). But even that data is suspect because it isn't age normalized, which has just as much impact.

The point is, information like this, scares the heck out of prospective buyers. Not only are they worried about the range to begin with. Now they come away with "If I don't treat my battery perfectly, it will die in x years" That's just not the case. All we are looking at is 10%.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Ive been following this thread for a bit.

My initial unsolicited contribution is:

Yes preserving range is important to me. I like to maximize and have as much margin as possible on road trips. In fact, on one of my routes, my family and I prefer a specific supercharger because of its available facilities. If my battery degrades too much, I could end up 1 stop short and at a different supercharger that doesnt have the preferred facilities that we love. If I can delay that for many more years, I will do it.

Moving a simple charging slider to a lower number during my local daily drive is very easy to set and not worry about. My daily drive distances allow me to do this so why not take advantage.

Even with ICE cars, I pamper them and do not “drive it like I stole it”. I change oil much earlier and like to lick it off my fingers sometimes if it still comes out clean. It makes me feel good knowing I washed my own car with no swirls and got my OCD fix for the day. That carries on with EVs. Therefore, in addition, I will not “charge it like you stole it”.

Thank you for those that contribute to factual based education that support good EV ownership habits.

Last edited: